Re: [midatlanticretro] PDP 11/40 in the guest room - WAF

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29 10:42 AM
      Bill,

      I am impressed - especially by the tolerance of your wife. My article (from 2001) on the Wife Acceptability Factor (WAF) is at http://www.dacs.org/archive/0101/feature3.htm.

      Jim

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Bill Degnan <billdeg@...>
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:20:14 AM
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] PDP 11/40 in the guest room

      nope...sorry.

      If you could imagine I had a series of three planks, used like a track.  When I got to the end of the track, I picked up the planks and started the track over a little farther closer to the house.  It took about 2 hours one plank at a time.  I was very careful and slow about it.  Finally when I got to the deck (which opens to the dining room), I had to make a gradual slope up three steps to the plane of the deck floor.  I made a smaller ramp to get into the house.  The easy part was wheeling the rack unit through the dining room and into the guest room.  I estimate the total weight to be 250 lbs or more.

      My wife is quite tolerant.

      The whole point is to buy some time.  I want to take the whole thing apart and transport to my work, next to the IBM Series 1.  Before I do that I want to learn more about how the pieces fit together.  Now I have the summer months and can take my time while I get ready for VCF E.

      Bill