Re: [midatlanticretro] Update -- club business and events

    Message 1 of 6 , May 29 10:34 AM
      Dan and all,

      I'm sorry to say that almost none of MARCH's current bank balance is from members. It's a windfall from renting a few vintage computers for use in a commercial shoot. This is our second rental and hopefully there will be more but it's not something we can count on. To get ourselves back into financial health, we have paid our insurance bill for the year as well as passed some of the income to InfoAge. Without this windfall income we did not have enough to pay our insurance for the year. Without the insurance we would not be able to hold any events, like VCF or our grand opening. In short, without this windfall, we would be just about dead as an organization. In the next few days I hope to have time to update the membership records so I can report on who (if any of us) is actually a current member.

      So, it's critical that we make the most of the money we have while we continue to solicit members and donations of both money and materials for the museum. I would like to suggest that we design our first few exhibits on paper so we can determine exactly how much space will be needed so we can make or buy appropriate tables or other display platforms. Whatever we use must be able to support the weight of the computers, protect the exhibits from little fingers, AND withstand the inevitable bumps that will occur when people (with kids) walk thru the museum. By designing the exhibits first we can actually make the signs while we prepare the artifacts. The radio museum found that their first signs sucked as they learned how to make better signs. We need to learn from their experience. We have little to no experience with signs and I suspect that signage will become our first real challenge.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 6 , May 29 10:54 AM
        suggestion - send an individual invoice to every member, with a paypal link associated with their account if possible. I do this kind of stuff for a living, let me know if I can help.
        Bill

        > I'm sorry to say that almost none of MARCH's current bank balance is from members. It's a windfall from renting a few vintage computers for use in a commercial shoot. This is our second rental and hopefully there will be more but it's not something we can count on. To get ourselves back into financial health, we have paid our insurance bill for the year as well as passed some of the income to InfoAge. Without this windfall income we did not have enough to pay our insurance for the year. Without the insurance we would not be able to hold any events, like VCF or our grand opening. In short, without this windfall, we would be just about dead as an organization. In the next few days I hope to have time to update the membership records so I can report on who (if any of us) is actually a current member.
        >
        > So, it's critical that we make the most of the money we have while we continue to solicit members and donations of both money and materials for the museum. I would like to suggest that we design our first few exhibits on paper so we can determine exactly how much space will be needed so we can make or buy appropriate tables or other display platforms. Whatever we use must be able to support the weight of the computers, protect the exhibits from little fingers, AND withstand the inevitable bumps that will occur when people (with kids) walk thru the museum. By designing the exhibits first we can actually make the signs while we prepare the artifacts. The radio museum found that their first signs sucked as they learned how to make better signs. We need to learn from their experience. We have little to no experience with signs and I suspect that signage will become our first real challenge.
        >
        > Jim

      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
          Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

          > So, it's critical that we make the most of the money we have while
          we continue to solicit members and donations of both money and
          materials for the museum. I would like to suggest that we design our
          first few exhibits on paper so we can determine exactly how much space
          will be needed so we can make or buy appropriate tables or other
          display platforms. Whatever we use must be able to support the weight
          of the computers, protect the exhibits from little fingers, AND
          withstand the inevitable bumps that will occur when people (with kids)
          walk thru the museum. By designing the exhibits first we can actually
          make the signs while we prepare the artifacts. The radio museum found
          that their first signs sucked as they learned how to make better
          signs. We need to learn from their experience. We have little to no
          experience with signs and I suspect that signage will become our first
          real challenge.

          > Jim

          I see exhibit design discussed here primarily as a matter of budget.
          I'll describe the exhibit I'm doing, as a budget consideration and in
          the scope of similar exhibits. In my opinion.

          The exhibit I will design for the 11/20 for the upcoming September
          show, has been described before by me, in a general way. My intention
          from day one, was to provide some kind of example of an exhibit. It
          will be simple and do-able with modest resources - even by the kind of
          funds MARCH had before its recent windfall.

          It's a design consistent with exhibits brought to VCF shows over the
          last few years. Nothing stops MARCH from doing better, *later*. This
          gets the job done NOW, for September, which is *four months* away. As
          Jim points out, "better" work may require more time, experience and
          funds.

          The 11/20 will sit on a table, with some artifacts. There will be a
          plexiglass cover on the top, to make the boards visible but protected.
          I plan to cover the front panel (console) as well, to keep the
          fingerpoken kids off the switches. I am working on these things. Of
          course it will not not NOT be plugged in, as the power supply is
          seperate there is no chance for that.

          The wall behind the table will have two posterboards. On them will be
          some subset of what is displayed on the 11/20 Web page I've made.
          Mostly photos and some descriptive text. There will likely be
          handouts. I'm also considering showing some brief videos of how a
          similar computer, a PDP-8, is operated with its console and with a
          Teletype. This would provide some "operation". The videos are in
          progress, versions are linked on the 11/20 Web page, from a MARCH
          member as noted.

          To a first order, the content of the exhibit will be a subset of the
          11/20 Web page I've already constructed. Again, the Web page was
          intended to be a prototype for other exhibit's Web pages, pages which
          budget-wise only cost time and effort. And, as a reference to discuss
          content and an exhibit - something like Jim's remarks about "paper
          design". I may prototype an actual exhibit on the Web, in a simple way
          if I can.

          Further design is a matter of determining what content and which
          photos will be exhibited, and of course their arrangement and
          composition. Again, cost is not expected to be an issue, these are not
          expensive resources. I'll offer a budget when I have the design
          roughed out, AND see how I can make the signage and photos.

          That is about where I am on this project.

          Please note: this is a forty year old computer, not running, with
          considerable history generally and specific to this box. Most people
          simply would not "know" on sight it's even a "computer". Those
          considerations are determining the nature of the exhibit. Many of
          MARCH's computers are newer, running, generally known, easily
          replaced. So exhibits for them would be different and emphasise
          hands-on and operation, not history of use or design.

          However, as Jim points out, ALL these exhibits need space, display,
          interpretative text and photos on posters and signage. (He did not
          mention Web space, but that is not a budget issue, MARCH has Web space
          already.)

          So, the 11/20 is an example of a KIND of exhibit, and methods, and
          activities one can follow to design another exhibit. But not to follow
          *exactly*. That's one reason I proposed this work - read prior posts.

          But, since this is a discussion thread about COSTS and BUDGETS for
          MARCH, and not an exhibit design discussion, I'll stop here. Anyone
          who wants to discuss the 11/20, or exhibit design, can use another
          discussion thread, old or new.

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com