Re: [midatlanticretro] PDP 11/40 in the guest room

  • Bob Grieb
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2008
      Bill,

      Did you film the move, I hope?
      Would love to see that on Youtube...

      Bob

      --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > Yesterday, using a series of ramps and wooden panels I moved the PDP
      > 11/40
      > system and DEC half cabinet from my shed in the back yard into the
      > guest
      > bedroom of my house on the exact far opposite end. It was kind of
      > like a
      > history channel episode. Now I know what the Easter Island people
      > were up to.
      >
      > End result - everything is safe and sound and still working. Working
      > = I
      > can save and examine memory. Next I am working on a memory map.
      >
      > Bill

    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2008
        nope...sorry.

        If you could imagine I had a series of three planks, used like a track. When I got to the end of the track, I picked up the planks and started the track over a little farther closer to the house. It took about 2 hours one plank at a time. I was very careful and slow about it. Finally when I got to the deck (which opens to the dining room), I had to make a gradual slope up three steps to the plane of the deck floor. I made a smaller ramp to get into the house. The easy part was wheeling the rack unit through the dining room and into the guest room. I estimate the total weight to be 250 lbs or more.

        My wife is quite tolerant.

        The whole point is to buy some time. I want to take the whole thing apart and transport to my work, next to the IBM Series 1. Before I do that I want to learn more about how the pieces fit together. Now I have the summer months and can take my time while I get ready for VCF E.

        Bill

        > > Yesterday, using a series of ramps and wooden panels I moved the PDP
        > > 11/40
        > > system and DEC half cabinet from my shed in the back yard into the
        > > guest
        > > bedroom of my house on the exact far opposite end. It was kind of
        > > like a
        > > history channel episode. Now I know what the Easter Island people
        > > were up to.
        > >
        > > End result - everything is safe and sound and still working. Working
        > > = I
        > > can save and examine memory. Next I am working on a memory map.
        > >
        > > Bill

      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2008
          B. Degnan wrote:
          > Yesterday, using a series of ramps and wooden panels I moved the PDP 11/40
          > system and DEC half cabinet from my shed in the back yard into the guest
          > bedroom of my house on the exact far opposite end. It was kind of like a
          > history channel episode. Now I know what the Easter Island people were up to.
          >
          > End result - everything is safe and sound and still working. Working = I
          > can save and examine memory. Next I am working on a memory map.

          Hmmm.. more of your rooms in your house are being filled with vintage
          computers.. :) But then it will give guests something to do!

          Cheers,

          Bryan
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008

            Bryan Pope wrote:
            B. Degnan wrote:

            Yesterday, using a series of ramps and wooden panels I moved the PDP 11/40
            system and DEC half cabinet from my shed in the back yard into the guest
            bedroom of my house on the exact far opposite end.   It was kind of like a
            history channel episode.  Now I know what the Easter Island people were up to.

            That would've made a nice segment for a new web channel you could add to your website

            Call it     " This Ol' Vintage House "  :)

            Next week's episode ?
            Dismantling a PDP 11/40

            =Dan

            [ Never put off till tomorrow, What you can do the day after tomorrow ]
            [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/                 ]