PDP 11/40 in the guest room

    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2008
      Yesterday, using a series of ramps and wooden panels I moved the PDP 11/40
      system and DEC half cabinet from my shed in the back yard into the guest
      bedroom of my house on the exact far opposite end. It was kind of like a
      history channel episode. Now I know what the Easter Island people were up to.

      End result - everything is safe and sound and still working. Working = I
      can save and examine memory. Next I am working on a memory map.

      Bill
    • Bob Grieb
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2008
        Bill,

        Did you film the move, I hope?
        Would love to see that on Youtube...

        Bob

        --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > Yesterday, using a series of ramps and wooden panels I moved the PDP
        > 11/40
        > system and DEC half cabinet from my shed in the back yard into the
        > guest
        > bedroom of my house on the exact far opposite end. It was kind of
        > like a
        > history channel episode. Now I know what the Easter Island people
        > were up to.
        >
        > End result - everything is safe and sound and still working. Working
        > = I
        > can save and examine memory. Next I am working on a memory map.
        >
        > Bill

      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2008
          nope...sorry.

          If you could imagine I had a series of three planks, used like a track. When I got to the end of the track, I picked up the planks and started the track over a little farther closer to the house. It took about 2 hours one plank at a time. I was very careful and slow about it. Finally when I got to the deck (which opens to the dining room), I had to make a gradual slope up three steps to the plane of the deck floor. I made a smaller ramp to get into the house. The easy part was wheeling the rack unit through the dining room and into the guest room. I estimate the total weight to be 250 lbs or more.

          My wife is quite tolerant.

          The whole point is to buy some time. I want to take the whole thing apart and transport to my work, next to the IBM Series 1. Before I do that I want to learn more about how the pieces fit together. Now I have the summer months and can take my time while I get ready for VCF E.

          Bill

          > > Yesterday, using a series of ramps and wooden panels I moved the PDP
          > > 11/40
          > > system and DEC half cabinet from my shed in the back yard into the
          > > guest
          > > bedroom of my house on the exact far opposite end. It was kind of
          > > like a
          > > history channel episode. Now I know what the Easter Island people
          > > were up to.
          > >
          > > End result - everything is safe and sound and still working. Working
          > > = I
          > > can save and examine memory. Next I am working on a memory map.
          > >
          > > Bill

        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2008
            B. Degnan wrote:
            > Yesterday, using a series of ramps and wooden panels I moved the PDP 11/40
            > system and DEC half cabinet from my shed in the back yard into the guest
            > bedroom of my house on the exact far opposite end. It was kind of like a
            > history channel episode. Now I know what the Easter Island people were up to.
            >
            > End result - everything is safe and sound and still working. Working = I
            > can save and examine memory. Next I am working on a memory map.

            Hmmm.. more of your rooms in your house are being filled with vintage
            computers.. :) But then it will give guests something to do!

            Cheers,

            Bryan
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008

              Bryan Pope wrote:
              B. Degnan wrote:

              Yesterday, using a series of ramps and wooden panels I moved the PDP 11/40
              system and DEC half cabinet from my shed in the back yard into the guest
              bedroom of my house on the exact far opposite end.   It was kind of like a
              history channel episode.  Now I know what the Easter Island people were up to.

              That would've made a nice segment for a new web channel you could add to your website

              Call it     " This Ol' Vintage House "  :)

              Next week's episode ?
              Dismantling a PDP 11/40

              =Dan

              [ Never put off till tomorrow, What you can do the day after tomorrow ]
              [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/                 ]