Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Someone explain this (Pop Electronics Jan '75 auction)

    Message 1 of 25 , May 27 2:58 PM
      Bill,

      Good points!

      Jim

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Bill Degnan <billdeg@...>
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:51:55 AM
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Someone explain this (Pop Electronics Jan '75 auction)

      -------- Original Message --------
      href="mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com">midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Someone explain this (Pop Electronics Jan '75 auction)
      >
      > Herb Johnson wrote:
      > >
      > > I appreciate Bill's considerations about investment value of those
      > > few items which may attain value in the thousands or more. I note
      > > Bill's point - that when people of my age die, interest in computing
      > > of the 1970's will all but die as well. I can't disagree with that
      > > assessment, but it simply makes me too sad today to comment further.
      > >

      > I do not believe that when people your age die, interest in computing of
      > the 1970's will die..  Look at the child who visited the MARCH museum a
      > week or so ago with his parents.  IIRC, he was 11, but was very
      > interested in the computers that
      were about three times his age!

      > This is also something that the director of Infoage wants - to inspire
      > children..  It sounds like this kid was pretty inspired
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Bryan

      What will happen is a consolidation of interest into a historical perspective. In 100 years what is "important" of 70's tech will be well established.  Some of this is by whim of writers today.  Those remaining items that are still considered historical 100 years from now will all find their way into museums and private collections out of reach of the common man market.

      I believe that you can find a parallel in automobile history and collecting.  The turn of the century cars are by now only in the hands of dedicated restorationists and museums.  Same will happen to computers. There's only so much room in the history books, many systems will become lost, just as the early car manufacturers have been all but forgotten by the general public, and cherished by historians.

      bd

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: