Two stupid old Mac questions

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25 2:29 PM
      Two stupid old Mac questions All:

          There is probably a simple answer to this question, but I’m having trouble coming upon it. I’m trying to get a ROM image from my old Mac 512k machine. So, I used my IIci to download a copy of CopyRom. Now I need to move it to a 400k disk. I figure “that’s easy”.

          So, I format a disk on my Fat Mac and put into the IIci and when I drag the CopyRom binary to the 400k diskette, it bombs out with an “error –3”. I’m using an external 800k drive on my IIci which is the drive I’m trying to drag to. I thought I remember this coping method working previously but I’ll be dipped if I can get it working.

          Also, on an unrelated note, what’s a good way to unstick 400k drives? Mine are a little gummy and don’t eject properly. I vaguely remember cleaning the mechanisms with TFE or some other hazardous chemical. Any recommendations for a cleaner and a subsequent lubing?

          TIA!

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      Message 2 of 5 , May 26 9:31 AM
        "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...> wrote:

        > All:
        >
        > There is probably a simple answer to this question, but I¹m having
        > trouble coming upon it. I¹m trying to get a ROM image from my old
        Mac 512k
        > machine. So, I used my IIci to download a copy of CopyRom. Now I need to
        > move it to a 400k disk. I figure ³that¹s easy².
        >
        > So, I format a disk on my Fat Mac and put into the IIci and when
        I drag
        > the CopyRom binary to the 400k diskette, it bombs out with an ³error
        ­3².

        Rich does a lot of S-100 stuff, we correspond often. I emailed Rich
        about some of my experiences in the old Mac world. Essentially I think
        there are disk format conflicts between OS versions.

        > Also, on an unrelated note, what¹s a good way to unstick 400k
        drives?

        > Rich

        I fix these drives for a living, so I gave Rich some hints.
        Essentially you clean the old gunk out and put in a good thin oil.

        Herb Johnson
        http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Richard A. Cini
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26 1:31 PM
          Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Two stupid old Mac questions Herb again was a great resource.

          Oh, I’m also now looking for a disk image of Appleshare Workstation version 1.1. I understand that works on the 512k Mac and I have a bunch of LocalTalk cables so I’m going to give that a whirl also.

          Thanks again to all!

          Rich

          On 5/26/08 12:31 PM, "Herb Johnson" <herbjohnson@...> wrote:

           "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...> wrote:

          > All:
          >
          >     There is probably a simple answer to this question, but I’m having
          > trouble coming upon it. I’m trying to get a ROM image from my old
          Mac 512k
          > machine. So, I used my IIci to download a copy of CopyRom. Now I need to
          > move it to a 400k disk. I figure “that’s easy”.
          >
          >     So, I format a disk on my Fat Mac and put into the IIci and when
          I drag
          > the CopyRom binary to the 400k diskette, it bombs out with an “error
          –3”.

          Rich does a lot of S-100 stuff, we correspond often. I emailed Rich
          about some of my experiences in the old Mac world. Essentially I think
          there are disk format conflicts between OS versions.

          >     Also, on an unrelated note, what’s a good way to unstick 400k
          drives?

          > Rich

          I fix these drives for a living, so I gave Rich some hints.
          Essentially you clean the old gunk out and put in a good thin oil.

          Herb Johnson
          http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/   web site
          http://www.retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/   domain mirror

          Rich

          --
          Rich Cini
          Collector of Classic Computers
          http://www.altair32.com
          http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26 1:58 PM
            On Mon, 26 May 2008, Richard A. Cini wrote:

            > Oh, I¹m also now looking for a disk image of Appleshare Workstation version
            > 1.1. I understand that works on the 512k Mac and I have a bunch of LocalTalk
            > cables so I¹m going to give that a whirl also.

            I'm not sure if this is the right version, but try this:

            http://www.apple2.org.za/mirrors/ftp.apple.asimov.net/unsorted/GS.Appleshare.(Mac).sea

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Richard A. Cini
            Message 5 of 5 , May 26 2:10 PM
              Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Two stupid old Mac questions Mike:

                  Thanks for the pointer. That disk image is actually for the //gs and not the Mac.

                  I’ve done some searching and I either need the AppleShare Workstation 1.1 disk image or something called “System 3.3, Finder 5.4 (System Software 2.0)” which was the first version of MacOS that had AppleShare and the last that would work on a Fat Mac (released March 1987). I have a lot of other versions I’ve downloaded, but not that version. The link to the image is broken. Figures...

              Rich

              On 5/26/08 4:58 PM, "Mike Loewen" <mloewen@...> wrote:

              On Mon, 26 May 2008, Richard A. Cini wrote:

              > Oh, I’m also now looking for a disk image of Appleshare Workstation version
              > 1.1. I understand that works on the 512k Mac and I have a bunch of LocalTalk
              > cables so I’m going to give that a whirl also.

              I'm not sure if this is the right version, but try this:

              http://www.apple2.org.za/mirrors/ftp.apple.asimov.net/unsorted/GS.Appleshare.(Mac).sea

              Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>

              Rich