MARCH's IBM 5150 A - restoration complete

    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2008
      MARCH's IBM 5150 A - restoration complete

      http://vintagecomputer.net/ibm/5150/5150_A/

      I left off last night with a 32K machine. The final step in the
      restoration was to identify and replace the 4116 RAM chips that were bad in
      bank 3 (~33-48K) and 4 (~49-64K). Turns out that it was the last two on
      bank 3 that were bad. A reason why it's good to have a chip inventory - I
      was able to quickly determine if I had 4116's available.

      Side note: An interesting puzzle, try to determine the least number of chip
      swaps needed to determine which RAM chips are bad if all you know is that
      at least half of them are good.

      I am glad that the motherboard was OK, fixing that would have been a bear.

      NOTE: Although I swapped the bad monochrome card for a good CGA card,
      ultimately I need to find a replacement a mono card so that we can use the
      MARCH monochrome monitor. I plan to buy one asap, but if anyone wants to
      donate to the cause, let me know.

      I will put the complete restoration notes at some point.

      Bill
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23, 2008
        >>> I am glad that the motherboard was OK, fixing that would have been a bear.

        Success would be a BEER :)

        >>> need to find a replacement a mono card so that we can use the
        MARCH monochrome monitor. I plan to buy one asap, but if anyone wants to donate to the cause, let me know.

        How much do they cost?
      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 7 , May 24, 2008
          A good memory test will tell you exactly which bit was bad. I've had to write memory
          tests that will pinpoint the exact chip (by device number) to make it easier for a
          technician to quickly fix machines with problems.

          I don't remember; if any memory fails, does the PC allow you to get into DOS and
          do anything or is it dead once any problem is found?

          Bob

          On May 23, 2008, at 11:53 PM, B. Degnan wrote:

[...]

        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 7 , May 24, 2008
            I have several mono cards here. (actually mono/lpt). They're not IBM, but they are 8 bit ISA. Want one? Give me your address.

            Kelly

            Message 5 of 7 , May 24, 2008
              I was able to get a couple, thanks for the offer.
              Bill

              Message 6 of 7 , May 24, 2008
                > NOTE: Although I swapped the bad monochrome card for a good CGA card,
                > ultimately I need to find a replacement a mono card so that we can
                use the
                > MARCH monochrome monitor. I plan to buy one asap, but if anyone
                wants to
                > donate to the cause, let me know.

                I have a Hercules card (8 bit ISA). Should I bring it to InfoAge?
                Message 7 of 7 , May 25, 2008
                  No, I was looking for the original IBM monochrome Display Adapter card to
                  replace the original. The entire system is original stock.

                  Your card may come in handy elsewhere, keep it for now.

                  Bill