Update -- club business and events

    Message 1 of 6 , May 22 10:02 PM
      Message
      Hi all,

      I suppose this should be public information since we're a non-profit.  Also, we have nothing to hide.   :)

      Jim Scheef, our intrepid treasurer and keeper of the MARCH bureau in Connecticut, says all of our bills are paid in full and we now have $1,901.67.  We're also starting to accumulate a nice selection of large rectangular tables and display cases.

      I'm leaning toward having us NOT participate with an exhibit at The Last HOPE this summer -- mainly because they want us to go for at least two days, not one, which is tough for a NYC event.  It's even more coordination than at Trenton ... we need to save some energy and effort for our own event.  However, I probably will go to HOPE to give a lecture (something like "Vintage Computing For Newbz"), and may bring along a few MARCHins for on-stage demos.  Details to come.

      We also have a new neighbor.  One of the large rooms across the hallway from the MARCH exhibit rooms will soon house the NJ chapter of the Association of Old Crows.  LOL, I know, I thought the same thing when I first heard their name ... it's an association of old folks?  But they quickly educated me: they're a non-profit devoted to the history of electronic warfare (and therefore they have deep Camp Evans connections); "Crows" was what they were called in the military as a slang term because the British version of EW was called the Ravens.  However, these days they just call themselves "AOC" to not scare away young Crows who might be interested in joining.

      Finally, check out the May issue of IEEE Spectrum.  They have a good story about Gordon Moore.

      - Evan

    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23 4:51 AM

        Evan Koblentz wrote:

        Hi all,

        I suppose this should be public information since we're a non-profit.  Also, we have nothing to hide.   :)

        Jim Scheef, our intrepid treasurer and keeper of the MARCH bureau in Connecticut, says all of our bills are paid in full and we now have $1,901.67.
        Is that all from memberships alone ? -- that's a lot of people so far !

        We're also starting to accumulate a nice selection of large rectangular tables and display cases.
        I found a glass display case from IKEA that looks really good.
        My buddy here uses them here for his military collection.
        I hope you like them too, it has 4 shelves, all glass, and it's stands vertical.
        I was going to bring one on my next trip there(either Jun/Jul).
        http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055

        We also have a new neighbor.  One of the large rooms across the hallway from the MARCH exhibit rooms will soon house the NJ chapter of the Association of Old Crows.  LOL, I know, I thought the same thing when I first heard their name ... it's an association of old folks?  But they quickly educated me: they're a non-profit devoted to the history of electronic warfare (and therefore they have deep Camp Evans connections)
        that's excellent

        =Dan
        [ enjoy Memorial Day, but remember why                          ]
        [ VFW Post 118                                                  ]

        Message 3 of 6 , May 23 6:12 AM
          See off-list reply.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 29 10:34 AM
            Dan and all,

            I'm sorry to say that almost none of MARCH's current bank balance is from members. It's a windfall from renting a few vintage computers for use in a commercial shoot. This is our second rental and hopefully there will be more but it's not something we can count on. To get ourselves back into financial health, we have paid our insurance bill for the year as well as passed some of the income to InfoAge. Without this windfall income we did not have enough to pay our insurance for the year. Without the insurance we would not be able to hold any events, like VCF or our grand opening. In short, without this windfall, we would be just about dead as an organization. In the next few days I hope to have time to update the membership records so I can report on who (if any of us) is actually a current member.

            So, it's critical that we make the most of the money we have while we continue to solicit members and donations of both money and materials for the museum. I would like to suggest that we design our first few exhibits on paper so we can determine exactly how much space will be needed so we can make or buy appropriate tables or other display platforms. Whatever we use must be able to support the weight of the computers, protect the exhibits from little fingers, AND withstand the inevitable bumps that will occur when people (with kids) walk thru the museum. By designing the exhibits first we can actually make the signs while we prepare the artifacts. The radio museum found that their first signs sucked as they learned how to make better signs. We need to learn from their experience. We have little to no experience with signs and I suspect that signage will become our first real challenge.

            Jim

[...]

            [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]

          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 6 , May 29 10:54 AM
              suggestion - send an individual invoice to every member, with a paypal link associated with their account if possible. I do this kind of stuff for a living, let me know if I can help.
              Bill

              > I'm sorry to say that almost none of MARCH's current bank balance is from members. It's a windfall from renting a few vintage computers for use in a commercial shoot. This is our second rental and hopefully there will be more but it's not something we can count on. To get ourselves back into financial health, we have paid our insurance bill for the year as well as passed some of the income to InfoAge. Without this windfall income we did not have enough to pay our insurance for the year. Without the insurance we would not be able to hold any events, like VCF or our grand opening. In short, without this windfall, we would be just about dead as an organization. In the next few days I hope to have time to update the membership records so I can report on who (if any of us) is actually a current member.
              >
              > So, it's critical that we make the most of the money we have while we continue to solicit members and donations of both money and materials for the museum. I would like to suggest that we design our first few exhibits on paper so we can determine exactly how much space will be needed so we can make or buy appropriate tables or other display platforms. Whatever we use must be able to support the weight of the computers, protect the exhibits from little fingers, AND withstand the inevitable bumps that will occur when people (with kids) walk thru the museum. By designing the exhibits first we can actually make the signs while we prepare the artifacts. The radio museum found that their first signs sucked as they learned how to make better signs. We need to learn from their experience. We have little to no experience with signs and I suspect that signage will become our first real challenge.
              >
              > Jim

            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
                Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

                > So, it's critical that we make the most of the money we have while
                we continue to solicit members and donations of both money and
                materials for the museum. I would like to suggest that we design our
                first few exhibits on paper so we can determine exactly how much space
                will be needed so we can make or buy appropriate tables or other
                display platforms. Whatever we use must be able to support the weight
                of the computers, protect the exhibits from little fingers, AND
                withstand the inevitable bumps that will occur when people (with kids)
                walk thru the museum. By designing the exhibits first we can actually
                make the signs while we prepare the artifacts. The radio museum found
                that their first signs sucked as they learned how to make better
                signs. We need to learn from their experience. We have little to no
                experience with signs and I suspect that signage will become our first
                real challenge.

                > Jim

                I see exhibit design discussed here primarily as a matter of budget.
                I'll describe the exhibit I'm doing, as a budget consideration and in
                the scope of similar exhibits. In my opinion.

                The exhibit I will design for the 11/20 for the upcoming September
                show, has been described before by me, in a general way. My intention
                from day one, was to provide some kind of example of an exhibit. It
                will be simple and do-able with modest resources - even by the kind of
                funds MARCH had before its recent windfall.

                It's a design consistent with exhibits brought to VCF shows over the
                last few years. Nothing stops MARCH from doing better, *later*. This
                gets the job done NOW, for September, which is *four months* away. As
                Jim points out, "better" work may require more time, experience and
                funds.

                The 11/20 will sit on a table, with some artifacts. There will be a
                plexiglass cover on the top, to make the boards visible but protected.
                I plan to cover the front panel (console) as well, to keep the
                fingerpoken kids off the switches. I am working on these things. Of
                course it will not not NOT be plugged in, as the power supply is
                seperate there is no chance for that.

                The wall behind the table will have two posterboards. On them will be
                some subset of what is displayed on the 11/20 Web page I've made.
                Mostly photos and some descriptive text. There will likely be
                handouts. I'm also considering showing some brief videos of how a
                similar computer, a PDP-8, is operated with its console and with a
                Teletype. This would provide some "operation". The videos are in
                progress, versions are linked on the 11/20 Web page, from a MARCH
                member as noted.

                To a first order, the content of the exhibit will be a subset of the
                11/20 Web page I've already constructed. Again, the Web page was
                intended to be a prototype for other exhibit's Web pages, pages which
                budget-wise only cost time and effort. And, as a reference to discuss
                content and an exhibit - something like Jim's remarks about "paper
                design". I may prototype an actual exhibit on the Web, in a simple way
                if I can.

                Further design is a matter of determining what content and which
                photos will be exhibited, and of course their arrangement and
                composition. Again, cost is not expected to be an issue, these are not
                expensive resources. I'll offer a budget when I have the design
                roughed out, AND see how I can make the signage and photos.

                That is about where I am on this project.

                Please note: this is a forty year old computer, not running, with
                considerable history generally and specific to this box. Most people
                simply would not "know" on sight it's even a "computer". Those
                considerations are determining the nature of the exhibit. Many of
                MARCH's computers are newer, running, generally known, easily
                replaced. So exhibits for them would be different and emphasise
                hands-on and operation, not history of use or design.

                However, as Jim points out, ALL these exhibits need space, display,
                interpretative text and photos on posters and signage. (He did not
                mention Web space, but that is not a budget issue, MARCH has Web space
                already.)

                So, the 11/20 is an example of a KIND of exhibit, and methods, and
                activities one can follow to design another exhibit. But not to follow
                *exactly*. That's one reason I proposed this work - read prior posts.

                But, since this is a discussion thread about COSTS and BUDGETS for
                MARCH, and not an exhibit design discussion, I'll stop here. Anyone
                who wants to discuss the 11/20, or exhibit design, can use another
                discussion thread, old or new.

                Herb Johnson
                retrotechnology.com