RE: [midatlanticretro] Stock IBM XT low level format program want ed

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2005
      Here, in all its glory....
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Marvin Johnston [mailto:marvin@...]
      Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 12:26 AM
      To: ClassicCmp
      Subject: Low-Level PC Formatting Using Debug Commands

      I just ran across this and thought it might be of interest for anyone
      doing a low level format on a PC (not AT) type controllers. It was taken
      from a February 13, 1989 issue of Tech Times that appears to be a
      ComputerLand Confidential publication (this is a copy.) My usual
      procedure was to unassemble C800:5 or C800:6 and G=????:? the address
      that was a jmp instruction. I've never used the :800 or tried to format
      a Xebec controller.
      *******************
      Company Debug Command
      Adaptec -G=C800:CCC
      DTC -G=C800:5
      Omti -G=C800:6
      Western Digital -G=C800:5 or
      -G=c800:800
      Xebec Series of commands
      -l322
      -l321
      -o322 0
      -l321
      -o320 04
      -0320 00
      -o320 00
      -0320 00
      -0320 05
      -0320 07 (use 17 if embedded servo dr)
      At this point, the LED on the drive should come on to indicate that the
      drive is formatting. When the light goes off, coninue:
      -l321
      -l320
      The last entry should get 00 status back, indicating a successful
      format.