IBM 360 front panel on Ebay

    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2008
      IBM 360 front panel on Ebay
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220233112549
      As of this writing the price has exceeded $3000.

      The 360 was a dominant computer platform in the 1960's, but how many are
      still running today? I assume none are still in production. Newer (70's)
      IBM servers still probably contained a 360 emulation mode so that they
      could run patched versions of the original programs. It finally took the
      internet era to knock out the remaining vestiges. For example in the
      late 80's early 90's I used to work in a TSO/JCL environment that has ties
      to the 360. Being 19-20 years old at the time, I wanted out - that stuff
      was yesterday's news. I wanted to work with C++, BBS's, and PC's. Shortly
      afterwards I left to work elsewhere. I remember having to schedule jobs,
      and have my code changes approved before running, etc. I never actually
      touched or even saw the IBM I was working on.

      Bill
    • John Allain
      Message 2 of 7 , May 19, 2008
        > The 360 was a dominant computer platform in the 1960's,
        > but how many are still running today?

        A Better bet for a MARCHian could be a PC containing emulation
        hardware. Still all-IBM, all-Classiccmp and more practical.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-based_IBM-compatible_mainframes

        John A.
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 7 , May 19, 2008
          John Allain wrote:
          >> The 360 was a dominant computer platform in the 1960's,
          >> but how many are still running today?
          >
          > A Better bet for a MARCHian could be a PC containing emulation
          > hardware. Still all-IBM, all-Classiccmp and more practical.
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-based_IBM-compatible_mainframes

          I have a whole bunch of this hardware already.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 7 , May 19, 2008
            > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM 360 front panel on Ebay
            >
            > John Allain wrote:
            > >> The 360 was a dominant computer platform in the 1960's,
            > >> but how many are still running today?
            > >
            > > A Better bet for a MARCHian could be a PC containing emulation
            > > hardware. Still all-IBM, all-Classiccmp and more practical.
            > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-based_IBM-compatible_mainframes
            >
            > I have a whole bunch of this hardware already.
            >
            > Peace... Sridhar

            My point is my question - how many are running today?
            bd
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 7 , May 19, 2008
              Bill Degnan wrote:
              >> Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM 360 front panel on Ebay

              >>> A Better bet for a MARCHian could be a PC containing emulation
              >>> hardware. Still all-IBM, all-Classiccmp and more practical.
              >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-based_IBM-compatible_mainframes
              >> I have a whole bunch of this hardware already.
              >>
              >> Peace... Sridhar
              >>

              > My point is my question - how many are running today?

              One runs continuously. (A P/390E.) Three more are in runnable
              condition but are powered off to save energy. Plus I have a couple of
              more boardsets which are not installed in machines, which are sitting in
              anti-static in a box somewhere in the house.

              Peace... Sridhar
              Message 6 of 7 , May 21, 2008
                Sridhar,

                I believe the question was how many 360's are running today. Do you have a runnable 360?

                Jim

                >>> A Better bet for a
                MARCHian could be a PC containing emulation
                >>> hardware.  Still all-IBM, all-Classiccmp and more practical.
                >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-based_IBM-compatible_mainframes
                >> I have a whole bunch of this hardware already.
                >>
                >> Peace...  Sridhar
                >>

                > My point is my question - how many are running today?

                One runs continuously.  (A P/390E.)  Three more are in runnable
                condition but are powered off to save energy.  Plus I have a couple of
                more boardsets which are not installed in machines, which are sitting in
                anti-static in a box somewhere in the house.

                Peace...  Sridhar

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 7 , May 21, 2008
                  Jim Scheef wrote:
                  > Sridhar,
                  >
                  > I believe the question was how many 360's are running today. Do you have
                  > a runnable 360?

                  Nope. I have "all-IBM, all-Classiccmp and more practical
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-based_IBM-compatible_mainframes"
                  hardware, which is what the discussion had turned towards.

                  Peace... Sridhar