OT: modern Intuit software

    Message 1 of 26 , May 14, 2008
      Message
      Anyone here very good at using the Intuit accounting software?  Fred @ InfoAge needs some help.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 26 , May 16, 2008

        http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/columnists/article3867363.ece

        - JOB DESCRIPTIONS: just how descriptive should they be? Microsoft’s co-founder, Paul Allen, is advertising for an engineer to take care of his vintage computer collection at his company, Vulcan. An odd job, we concede, but what’s really odd is the job spec.

        “While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and smell.” So far, very, er, descriptive but there’s more . . .

        “The employee is frequently required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Occasionally, the employee is required to sit and climb, or balance.” Frequent crouching? And occasional balancing? Regular smelling? It all sounds like child’s play to me — literally.

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 26 , May 16, 2008

          http://www.pdpplanet.com/#

          Server Engineer (Vintage Systems) #1681
          Department: InformationTechnology
          The Server Operations Team manages the architecture, configuration, health, and security of all Vulcan production servers worldwide. This is a core team that is utilized by all other Vulcan Technology groups to deliver the technology that they require for creating new companies and projects and to deliver technology to the owner. Utilizing enterprise-level experience, a Server Engineer (Vintage Systems) designs the architecture for server systems, manages the health and security of these systems, and proactively works within his/her team and with outside teams in order to deliver the appropriate technology and architecture to meet project and operational requirements.
          This role is responsible for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of a collection of classic and antique computer systems. Responsibilities include installation, troubleshooting, maintenance, and operation of vintage computer systems, including but not limited to PDP-10, PDP-8 and PDP-11 computers and related systems in conjunction with other Technology teams. Duties include software installation, configuration, maintenance, procurement of parts, and certification/performance testing of the various computer systems. When required and on occasion, responsibilities include assisting on special projects. This position also provides first through third tier support and troubleshooting for computer systems at the facility to ensure optimum performance for the clients

          ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
          � Determine requirements needed for sustaining system operational uptime requirements, and determine, scope, and document the appropriate steps to meet these requirements.
          � Restore and re-commission mainframe and minicomputer systems as they are added to the collection.
          � Work with engineers and system administrators, hardware and software vendors to assess and improve the reliability and efficiency of the system.
          � Establish and perform detailed design reviews that include key stakeholder participation, test plans, detailed design drawing packages, back out plans, and performance/test results.
          � Team with engineers and service providers to resolve complex hardware issues.
          � Define, document and maintain accepted baseline for all approved system equipment. (includes hardware types, supported software and firmware versions, etc.).
          � Provide ongoing research, evaluation, and analysis of existing and planned system requirements to ensure improvement of server performance, availability, reliability and blending with new technology and concepts.
          � Participate in meetings to advise operations and/or management staff and the owner regarding the technical and conceptual aspects of system infrastructure and plans.
          � Regularly communicate project and operational status using Vulcan standard communication methods (email, meetings, Team Services, etc).
          � Participate in a 24-hour on-call support program utilizing documented escalation procedures and appropriate staffing.
          � Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.

          QUALIFICATIONS
          To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

          Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability

          Required
          � Experience with operations and administration experience with mainframe systems, with emphasis on timesharing systems.
          � Experience as a Field Engineer working on mainframe and minicomputer CPUs and peripherals, including experience in preventative maintenance.
          � Some programming experience in any mainframe or minicomputer assembler language, high level programming languages, and batch description languages.
          � Experience with virtual machines or software emulation of systems.
          � Experience with Linux or BSD systems.

          Preferred
          � Desired experience in serial and network communications.
          � Repair and diagnostic experience on DEC PDP-10 (DECsystem-10/DECSYSTEM-20), PDP-8 and PDP_11.
          � Experience with Tops-10 and TOPS-20, VMS or Multics
          � Experience with non-DEC computer systems

          Required computer skills
          � MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
          � Visio
          � CAD

          Education/experience/certifications
          Associate�s degree (A.A.) from accredited institution and 7 plus years relevant experience, OR, equivalent combination of education and experience.

          Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
          Travel estimated to be 20%.

          Language Ability: Ability to read general operational manuals or governmental regulations and safety documents. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and update procedural manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to requests and questions from managers, supervisors, and co-workers.

          Math Ability: Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.

          Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.

          Other skills: Knowledge of general office practices, procedures and equipment; extreme professionalism and communication skills; ability to prioritize tasks and work independently; strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills; And experience interacting with senior level management.

          Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

          While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and smell. The employee is frequently required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee is regularly required to move up to 25 pounds with assistance.

          The vision requirements include: ability to adjust focus, depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision and close vision and to be able to otherwise perform the essential functions of the job in a manner that does not present danger to the employee or others with or without a reasonable accommodation.

        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 26 , May 16, 2008
            Christian Liendo wrote:

            > http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/columnists/article3867363.ece
            >

            > - JOB DESCRIPTIONS: just how descriptive should they be? Microsoft’s
            > co-founder, Paul Allen, is advertising for an engineer to take care of
            > his vintage computer collection at his company, Vulcan. An odd job, we
            > concede, but what’s really odd is the job spec.
            >
            > “While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly
            > required to stand; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and smell.”
            > So far, very, er, descriptive but there’s more . . .
            >
            > “The employee is frequently required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch
            > or crawl. Occasionally, the employee is required to sit and climb, or
            > balance.” Frequent crouching? And occasional balancing? Regular
            > smelling? It all sounds like child’s play to me — literally.

            Do you also get to line up chairs so that Steve can kick them over?

            Cheers,

            Bryan
            Message 5 of 26 , May 16, 2008
              Message
              Of course, you could assume that we all read the classiccmp list and we all therefore knew about this a couple of weeks ago.   :)

              Message 6 of 26 , May 16, 2008
                I still cant get that!

                I tried like three times..

                Message 7 of 26 , May 17, 2008
                  Regarding the job requirements comments about standing and lifting and
                  so forth. News bulletin: there are people who have physical challenges
                  and whom cannot do these things which some of you take for granted.
                  But an employer cannot deny such persons a job unless the job requires
                  those physical skills, and so those requirements are spelled out in
                  the job listing. And anyone who wants to smart-off about this as some
                  kind of "political correctness", should consider how many men and
                  women are returning from Iraq with these sorts of disabilities. And,
                  consider how much economic capital is generated by both workers and
                  consumers who have physical restrictions. Consequently, remarks which
                  suggest that walking, lifting, and handling objects is "child's play"
                  are simply inconsiderate at best.

                  Herb Johnson
                  retrotechnology.comn
                • Ian King
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 17, 2008
                    As for the requirement of "smelling," I consider that a commentary on the frequency with which the 'magic smoke' attempts to escape these venerable systems....  -- Ian

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 17, 2008
                      Well see I can understand this since there are some System Admins I know and have worked with who will do nothing that doesn't happen behind a screen/keyboard. They will not rack or assemble a server. I know that this sounds unbelievable, but it is true.

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 18, 2008
                        Herb Johnson wrote:
                        > Regarding the job requirements comments about standing and lifting and
                        > so forth. News bulletin: there are people who have physical challenges
                        > and whom cannot do these things which some of you take for granted.
                        > But an employer cannot deny such persons a job unless the job requires
                        > those physical skills, and so those requirements are spelled out in
                        > the job listing. And anyone who wants to smart-off about this as some
                        > kind of "political correctness", should consider how many men and
                        > women are returning from Iraq with these sorts of disabilities. And,
                        > consider how much economic capital is generated by both workers and
                        > consumers who have physical restrictions. Consequently, remarks which
                        > suggest that walking, lifting, and handling objects is "child's play"
                        > are simply inconsiderate at best.

                        Calm down. It's that most jobs that require these abilities don't spell
                        it out in the advertisement. These are usually spelled out thoroughly
                        in the course of the job interview.

                        Sometimes they don't even put that stuff in advertisements for stockroom
                        positions.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                      • Herb Johnson
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 20, 2008
                          Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                          > Calm down. It's that most jobs that require these abilities don't
                          spell
                          > it out in the advertisement. These are usually spelled out thoroughly
                          > in the course of the job interview.
                          >
                          > Sometimes they don't even put that stuff in advertisements for
                          stockroom
                          > positions.
                          >
                          > Peace... Sridhar

                          I've seen corporate-level job descriptions: it looked similar in form
                          to others I've seen. The issue for me was not the depth and length of
                          the description. It was the reaction to the stated physical
                          requirements of the job. I chose my comments to respond to anticipated
                          remarks, based on similar discussions in this mail list. I stand
                          behind my comments, I made my point. Those interested can find more
                          information elsewhere, as further discussion (of hiring practices) is
                          in my opinion outside the general purpose of this mail list.

                          Herb Johnson
                          retrotechnology.com
                        • Ian King
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 23, 2008
                            Oh, by the way: THANKS!  I have an interview with these folks next week.  The HR person who initially contacted me was quite amused when I explained how I'd heard of this position.  -- Ian

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 23, 2008
                              Awesome, good luck!! (But isn't the job in Seattle? Quite a commute from upstate New York.)

                              Subj: RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Anyone want a job?
                              Date: Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 pm
                              Size: 4K

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 23, 2008
                                Where did you get the idea I live in upstate New York?  I live in Seattle!  And the commute from upstate New York to Seattle couldn't be too much worse than my daily commute from Seattle to Redmond.... -- Ian

                                Date: Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 pm
                                Size: 4K

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 23, 2008
                                  Message
                                  Hmmm ... are you the same Ian as Sridhar's friend Ian who goes to VCF East?  If so, then I figured you're in upstate NY because Sridhar is ... oh well.

                                  How did you end up on our list for Mid-Atlantic collectors?   :)

                                  Date: Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 pm
                                  Size: 4K

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 23, 2008
                                    Nope, I'm not that Ian.  I found your list through some websearch and decided to join because you folks have some interesting conversations about things I care about.  I hope I'm welcome....

                                    I have seven PDP-11s, three PDP-8s, a variety of VAXen and a couple of DG machines, in addition to other stuff like Suns, Alphas, DECstations, etc.  I actually run this stuff (and with original software whenever possible, not just NetBSD), and fix it when it doesn't run.

                                    That's why Vulcan's ad caught my eye.  I'll let you guys know how it goes....  -- Ian (in Seattle)

                                    Date: Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 pm
                                    Size: 4K

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 23, 2008
                                      At 09:18 PM 5/23/2008 -0700, Ian King wrote:
                                      Nope, I'm not that Ian.  I found your list through some websearch and decided to join because you folks have some interesting conversations about things I care about.  I hope I'm welcome....

                                      I have seven PDP-11s, three PDP-8s, a variety of VAXen and a couple of DG machines, in addition to other stuff like Suns, Alphas, DECstations, etc.  I actually run this stuff (and with original software whenever possible, not just NetBSD), and fix it when it doesn't run.

                                      Wow.

                                      That's why Vulcan's ad caught my eye.  I'll let you guys know how it goes....  -- Ian (in Seattle)

                                      Good Luck!

                                      Bill Degnan
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 23, 2008
                                        Message
                                        > >>  I hope I'm welcome....

                                        Of course.  All are welcome.  Just important to remember that we're not trying to buy a rival to cctalk or anything.  Obviously our focus is 'local'.

                                        I'll be at VCF 11 this fall, hopefully we can meet there.

                                        Date: Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 pm
                                        Size: 4K

                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 24, 2008
                                          Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                          > Hmmm ... are you the same Ian as Sridhar's friend Ian who goes to VCF
                                          > East? If so, then I figured you're in upstate NY because Sridhar is ...
                                          > oh well.

                                          No, his name is Ian Primus. He's on Classiccmp.

                                          Peace... Sridhar
                                        • Dan Roganti
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 25, 2008

                                            B. Degnan wrote:
                                            At 09:18 PM 5/23/2008 -0700, Ian King wrote:

                                            I have seven PDP-11s, three PDP-8s, a variety of VAXen and a couple of DG machines, in addition to other stuff like Suns, Alphas, DECstations, etc.  I actually run this stuff (and with original software whenever possible, not just NetBSD), and fix it when it doesn't run.

                                            Wow.

                                            he must have Verizon FiOS  -haha

                                            =Dan
                                            [ enjoy Memorial Day and Remember                  VFW Post 118 ]

                                          • BreweryOfTheKings
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                                              A follow-up on this thread: I'll be starting this job mid-August. If
                                              you ever get out to Seattle, look me up: I owe each of you a beer.
                                              :-) I would never have learned of this opportunity if you hadn't
                                              discussed it here. Thanks! -- Ian

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                                                >>> I owe each of you a beer. :-) I would never have learned of this
                                                opportunity if you hadn't discussed it here. Thanks!

                                                I'd say you owe us a lot more than that!

                                                A follow-up on this thread: I'll be starting this job mid-August. If you
                                                ever get out to Seattle, look me up: I owe each of you a beer.
                                                :-) I would never have learned of this opportunity if you hadn't discussed
                                                it here. Thanks! -- Ian

                                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

                                                > Awesome, good luck!! (But isn't the job in Seattle? Quite a
                                                commute from upstate New York.)

                                              • Christian Liendo
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
                                                  Hey! didn't I post this here?  :)

                                                  Hey man congrats, enjoy and don't forget us.

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
                                                    Ian,

                                                    Congratulations! Good luck on the left coast. Nice to know we'll have a MARCH branch way out there.

                                                    Jim

                                                    A follow-up on this thread: I'll be starting this job mid-August.  If
                                                    you ever get out to Seattle, look me up: I owe each of you a beer.
                                                    :-)  I would never have learned of this opportunity if you hadn't
                                                    discussed it here.  Thanks!  -- Ian

                                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

                                                    > Awesome, good luck!!  (But isn't the job in Seattle?  Quite a
                                                    commute from upstate New York.)

                                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                                    <*> To change settings via email:

                                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
                                                      Jim Scheef wrote:
                                                      > Ian,
                                                      >
                                                      > Congratulations! Good luck on the left coast. Nice to know we'll have a
                                                      > MARCH branch way out there.

                                                      Hehehe... I'm pretty sure Ian's been out there for quite a while, which
                                                      is why he was interested in the job.

                                                      Peace... Sridhar
                                                    • Ryan Harvey
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008

                                                        Congrats on the job! It sounds quite interesting and like a vintage computer enthusiast's dream. If I'm ever in Seattle, I'll have to see if I can convince the owner for a tour.

                                                        --Jack