11/20 exhibit Web page

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2008
      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

      The Web page now includes exerpts from DEC's PDP-11 Handbook which
      describe the paper tape programming tools in a brief way, and the
      operation of the "console", the front panel. I'm not going to make an
      elaborate Web page or exhibit of or about programming, as I previously
      suggested.

      I'm now reluctant to create any elaborate description or exhibit of
      how to program or how programming worked, because I don't think the
      public will care or follow it. Those who know about such things may
      appreciate a programmer's description of the actual software, so I
      have that.

      Those who find a "front panel" and "blinkenlights" of interest, may
      find the description of its actual operation, written by DEC,
      appropriately intimidating. Maybe, I can exhibit a graphic of the
      front panel with some tags and a few descriptions. Suggestions would
      be appreciated and considered. That reminds me, I'll need to come up
      with a plex cover for the actual front panel, to keep the
      "pokenfingers" off the pretty keys.

      But if anyone has a "fun" way to describe and graphically show how to
      write programs and load paper tapes, I'd love to see it. For those not
      familar with paper tape operating systems and programs, it's about
      like the old cassette-based operating systems and programs - and about
      as interesting. Again, if anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

      I am truly, truly perplexed, as to how to give the 21st century public
      any clue about 1970's computing use by technologists, beyond pointing
      at the artifacts and offering the most basic of information. It's just
      too alien to modern computing use. It's about like an exhibit on how
      Ford Model T owners kept their vehicles in repair (no mechanics, few
      gas stations, no auto stores - YOU did all that, with YOUR tools.)

      The page has also been updated to include more information on other
      PDP-11's of MARCH, which I happened to photograph or know of. It's not
      comprehensive nor intended to be, it is up to MARCH to keep track of
      their collections. Consider them as reminders of what ELSE can be
      exhibited and worked on.

      Herb Johnson
      not the PDP-11 guy
      retrotechnology.com
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2008
        > But if anyone has a "fun" way to describe and graphically show how to
        > write programs and load paper tapes, I'd love to see it.

        One way might be a video.
        Teletype/paper tape session
        http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/videos/teletype.shtml

        At bottom front panel (looks like I need to do a new one that will
        work with standard windows. Video only 8 years old).
        http://www.pdp8.net/pdp8em/pdp8em.shtml

        To be more attractive they probably should be edited down and narrated.

        Could be either from a different but similar looking system or long term
        if the 20 is restored to operation.

        Otherwise may be able to do it as a storyboard descriptoin with stills for
        the major steps. Toggle in bootstrap, load paper tape etc.

        Taking ideas from someone with no sense of aesthetics may not be
        a good idea though :-).
      • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2008
          Get a pretty woman dressed in the short shorts and halter top of the time
          to do the presentation and you will keep the males interested.
          They may not remember the particulars though.
          bs

          On Tue, 13 May 2008, David Gesswein wrote:

          > > But if anyone has a "fun" way to describe and graphically show how to
          > > write programs and load paper tapes, I'd love to see it.
          > >
          > One way might be a video.
          > Teletype/paper tape session
          > http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/videos/teletype.shtml
          >
          > At bottom front panel (looks like I need to do a new one that will
          > work with standard windows. Video only 8 years old).
          > http://www.pdp8.net/pdp8em/pdp8em.shtml
          >
          > To be more attractive they probably should be edited down and narrated.
          >
          > Could be either from a different but similar looking system or long term
          > if the 20 is restored to operation.
          >
          > Otherwise may be able to do it as a storyboard descriptoin with stills for
          > the major steps. Toggle in bootstrap, load paper tape etc.
          >
          > Taking ideas from someone with no sense of aesthetics may not be
          > a good idea though :-).

        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2008

            David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

            > One way might be a video.
            > Teletype/paper tape session
            > http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/videos/teletype.shtml
            >
            > At bottom front panel (looks like I need to do a new one that will
            > work with standard windows. Video only 8 years old).
            > http://www.pdp8.net/pdp8em/pdp8em.shtml
            >
            > To be more attractive they probably should be edited down and narrated.
            >
            > Could be either from a different but similar looking system or long term
            > if the 20 is restored to operation.
            >
            > Otherwise may be able to do it as a storyboard descriptoin with
            stills for
            > the major steps. Toggle in bootstrap, load paper tape etc.
            >
            > Taking ideas from someone with no sense of aesthetics may not be
            > a good idea though :-).

            Thank you, David, for doing these videos and for what I presume is an
            offer to MARCH to make them part of MARCH's exhibits. I will add the
            above information and links to the Web pages I've created. I *always*
            try to support serious efforts like yours, and your site has
            considerable information and effort. There are already links to your
            PDP-8 page, on the PDP-8 page I created for the MARCH/Kagan/RESISTORS
            PDP-8.

            I viewed the videos, they are of good visual quality. I'll email you
            about some details and how they might be part of the PDP-11 exhibit. I
            appreciate the videos are of the operation of a PDP-8, and they could
            be part of a PDP-8 exhibit. But I'm not working on that. I think a
            version of them would be fine for the 11/20 exhibit, pending some
            private discussion with you.

            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com
            check my home page or prior posts for my email address, not "yahoo"
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2008
              "Herb Johnson" <herbjohnson@...> wrote:

              > Thank you, David, for doing these videos and for what I presume is an
              > offer to MARCH to make them part of MARCH's exhibits. I will add the
              > above information and links to the Web pages I've created.

              http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

              Done. Look for "how was it programmed?" I'll discuss with David use of
              those videos with the 11/20 exhibit itself.

              Also, a link to notes on a repair David did on his PDP-8, look for
              "Can the 11/20 be restored..?". It is informative, the issues are the
              same. The 11/20 will not be worked on or made operational for the
              exhibit, other than as a displayed piece. MARCH has other DEC machines
              that could be worked on, as MARCH decides of course. Some of those are
              also shown on the PDP-11/20 Web page I've created.

              Herb Johnson
              bits of work
              retrotechnology.com