Good day at the museum

    Message 1 of 11 , May 11, 2008
      Message
      Slow day visitor-wise, but sometimes it's about quality, not quantity.

      Bob G. was already there when I arrive late today at 1:30.  He brought back our SWTPC 6800, along with some documentation of what's been restored and how to demo it.  As he explained, he also brought us a 12-inch Magnavox monitor, which happens to have exterior colors that perfectly match the SWTPC's terminal device.  We figured, what are the odds of a perfect match?  Then we went into the basement and found TWO of the exact same monitor.  Ha!

      After Bob left, a couple arrived with their 11-year-old son.  Turns out the kid knows as much about computer history as many people in this hobby!  He said he always wanted to see a punch card machine, so I took them into our future exhibit areas to show him our IBM 129.  I gave him an unpunched card to take home.  He also found the Altair very impressive .... kid's got good taste!

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
        Message
        Today was the first Sunday since pre-"Haunted Hotel" that things were relatively back to normal at InfoAge.

        Jeff Brace was there from 2-4.  We moved some supplies from the old Hotel exhibit room into our new museum rooms.  Also, He and I (finally!) plugged in several of the computers in the 70s/80s micro exhibit.  Three glitches however: 1., we couldn't find a video cable for the C-64; 2., our IBM PC gives some obscure error message ("3B1"); 3., we don't have Osborne boot disks.

        We had about 10 visitors today in four groups.  All were very knowledgeable and interested in what we do with vintage computers.  Good stuff.

        I didn't see Fred today, but I'll talk to him this Wed. night about our Dec. 6 event.  He already knows that we'll use one of the cottages and the telecom building.  But he tends to need reminders.  :)
      • arkaxow
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
          wrote:

          > Today was the first Sunday since pre-"Haunted Hotel" that things
          were
          > relatively back to normal at InfoAge.
          >
          > Jeff Brace was there from 2-4. We moved some supplies from the old
          Hotel
          > exhibit room into our new museum rooms. Also, He and I (finally!)
          plugged
          > in several of the computers in the 70s/80s micro exhibit. Three
          glitches
          > however: 1., we couldn't find a video cable for the C-64; 2., our
          IBM PC
          > gives some obscure error message ("3B1"); 3., we don't have Osborne
          boot
          > disks.
          >
          > We had about 10 visitors today in four groups. All were very
          knowledgeable
          > and interested in what we do with vintage computers. Good stuff.
          >
          > I didn't see Fred today, but I'll talk to him this Wed. night about
          our Dec.
          > 6 event. He already knows that we'll use one of the cottages and
          the
          > telecom building. But he tends to need reminders. :)

          Yes, Evan it was fun to actually see some of these computers working
          rather than just sitting there. Some of them I have used before, some
          I have never used before, so it was interesting to see what they were
          like and how they worked. It was fun to see that the "on" switch was
          in different places on different machines and to guess where that
          was. It was fun to see how to connect them and which cables they
          need. The most fun was to do a test in BASIC on each of them to see
          if everything was working. Each had different flavors of basic,
          syntax and keyboard layout. Watch those sticky keys !

          Also my favorite among them (C64) didn't have the monitor cable, so I
          couldn't test it :( Well that will be for another time :)

          Jeff
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
            >>> so it was interesting to see what they were like and how they worked.

            Heh ... If you think those were cool, wait 'til we teach you about
            minicomputers...
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
              Message
              I forgot to mention, in our first exhibit room, we also replaced the block of wood with a real doorstop.  :)
            • Jeffrey Frady
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                So this is it Evan?  My car broke down so you got another Jeff to replace me!

                --
                See you space cowboy...
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                  Message
                  > >> So this is it Evan?  My car broke down so you got another Jeff to replace me!

                  We've also got Jeff Jonas.
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > Heh ... If you think those were cool, wait 'til we teach you about
                    > minicomputers...

                    You're welcome any time, if you want to step into one of my mainframes.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                      Road trip to Sridhar's house!

                      > Heh ... If you think those were cool, wait 'til we teach you about
                      > minicomputers...

                      You're welcome any time, if you want to step into one of my mainframes.

                      Peace... Sridhar

                    • Matt Patoray
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                        And if you want some real fun, add a small Western Electric #5 crossbar or Step By Step telephone switching system. It would be midatlantic related as it was developed at Bell Labs, well the #5 XB was anyway.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 29, 2010
                          We got quite a lot accomplished today. Me, Matt, and Jeff B. all
                          arrived around 12:30. We began to palletize everything that's not on
                          wheels from our "storage corner" of building 9010-B (one of the famous
                          "H-buildings") .... any MARCHin who's seen that corner knows how densely
                          packed it was with big iron! We got about 90% of it done today, and we
                          moved all of that into our new museum section. We ran out of pallets,
                          but Chris and Brian arrived later (bringing with them an unassembled
                          Morrow S-100 kit for the club!), and then went out to hunt for more.
                          We'll get still more pallets by Tuesday, courtesy of Ft. Monmouth, and
                          then Matt and I will finish the job Wednesday. Thus, after Wednesday,
                          we'll have vacated that storage corner. Everything is now neatly
                          arranged with lots of space to walk and move pallets.

                          We didn't take pictures, but it struck as as AMAZING that all this stuff
                          had fit in that little corner! Spread out, it nearly takes up 2,000
                          square feet.

                          Big thanks to all who helped today.

                          We'll probably take next weekend off for Labor Day.