Re: New member

  • Liam Busey
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4, 2005
      > Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:07:55 -0000
      > From: "chrism3667" <chrism3667@...>
      > Subject: Re: New member
      >
      > Welcome to the list Liam.
      >
      > >The homebrew machines on the TTL computer webring
      > are fascinating to
      > >me. I hope to someday be skilled enough to
      > > design and build one.
      >
      > I'd like to design and bulid a single board puter
      > one of these days,
      > but I'd settle for just building. I acquired an old
      > issue of Radio
      > Electronics which describes the construction of a
      > robot brain, based
      > on an 80188 uP. It's basically IBM compatible as far
      > as I can gather,
      > but the only firmware I was successful in obtaining
      > was the FORTH
      > interpreter ROM. It was actually manufactured by
      > Vesta tech. still in
      > business, and it would be nice to obtain one of
      > those. Someone in
      > Brazil had something similar, but he wanted an
      > astronomical sum for
      > it.

      Sounds interesting. I was thinking more along the
      lines of building a simple CPU but systems are cool
      too. Here's a link to a zx80 clone that I'm half
      tempted to construct. It's not a kit but is made from
      common off the shelf parts.

      <home.micros.users.btopenworld.com/zx80/zx80.html>

      The nice thing about zx80s is that once you're done
      tinkering with them they make the world's finest door
      stops. ;)

      > > I try to be more of a hobbyist than a collector.
      > But sometimes I'm
      > > weak. Below is a rough list of what I have. I'd be
      > happy to share
      > any
      > > knowledge I have aquired.
      >
      > Frankly I'm insulted by the notion of weakness. I
      > don't feel that I
      > should be considered weak because I'm willing to
      > drive across
      > multiple states, put off eating, sleeping, and
      > bathing to obtain
      > vintage puters. I think rather that makes me strong,
      > powerful even.

      Uh oh, a single post to MARCH and I'm in trouble
      already. ;)

      Seriously, don't feel insulted. The comment was
      directed at myself. Sometimes I find myself
      accumulating more than tinkering. I try to avoid that
      but sometimes the toys are just too shiny. Your
      self-restraint may be better.

      Liam

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2005

        Liam Busey <buseyl@...> wrote:

        >The nice thing about zx80s is that once you're done
        >tinkering with them they make the world's finest door
        >stops. ;)

        Now now, you'd be surprised how useful some doorstops can be. Loads of 8-bit sbc apps are out there doing yeoman's service.

        If I weren't preoccupied with building something based on a (16 bit) Intel chip, I'd probably go for a 6800 myself. Then again I suppose you could pull apart a COCO and play with/modify that (6809 uP).

        >Uh oh, a single post to MARCH and I'm in trouble
        >already. ;)

        >Seriously, don't feel insulted. The comment was
        >directed at myself. Sometimes I find myself
        >accumulating more than tinkering. I try to avoid that
        >but sometimes the toys are just too shiny. Your
        >self-restraint may be better.

        Nah, no trouble, it's just my loopy sense of humore at work. And as to this restraint thing...gimme a minute to look it up...

        Nooooooope, I ain't got none of that! Although I would have to say most people on this list have more puters than I do, I leap at the oppurtunity to add to my junkpi...uh collection. I aim to get alot of tinkering done too, but at this present time I lack the space and time to "set up" for all my nefarious experiments. Muahahahahahaha.

        Yahoo! Sports
      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
          that's fine; or bring a trade of your choice.
          bd

          In a message dated 7/4/2005 5:10:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          chrism3667@... writes:

          > Bill...I in no way mind paying you for the boards (as
          > many as youre willing to part with) and postage. I can
          > borrow a.s bags from items that are just hanging
          > around. If youre going to be around this weekend,
          > theres a high chance Im going by your way. If not, Ill
          > send you bags and some moola-shmoola.
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
            What the hell is this!?  Yahoo is putting "sponsored links" into our emails, based on the content!?!?!?

            chrism3667@... writes:

            > Bill...I in no way mind paying you
            for the boards (as
            >  many as youre willing to part with) and
            postage. I can
            >  borrow a.s bags from items that are just
            hanging
            >  around. If youre going to be around this
            weekend,
            >  theres a high chance Im going by your way. If not,
            Ill
            >  send you bags and some moola-shmoola.

            Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
            Computer trainingSwap meet
          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
              I don't seem to be receiving them that way.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                Hmm, it happened today for the first time, but didn't appear in the two test messages I just sent.

                The concept of tailoring ads based on a message's content is quite controversial.  I wonder if Yahoo is doing some random tests.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                  The message from Bill Degnan that you quoted below did not arrive in my inbox in that format.
                  Something must have happened between the list server and you inbox.

                  Bill S.

                  chrism3667@... writes:

                  > Bill...I in no way mind paying you for the boards (as
                  >  many as youre willing to part with) and postage. I can
                  >  borrow a.s bags from items that are just hanging
                  >  around. If youre going to be around this weekend,
                  >  theres a high chance Im going by your way. If not, Ill
                  >  send you bags and some moola-shmoola.

                  Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
                  Computer trainingSwap meet

                  Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
                  Computer trainingSwap meet
                • chrism3667
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 6, 2005
                    > Acorn BBC B x2 (PAL)
                    > Acorn BBC Master (PAL)

                    Very interesting, although the BBC project if you will smacked of
                    communism lol. I like alot of English puters, and if shipping wasn't
                    so attrocious, I might actually own a few! I really really want a
                    Research Machines Nimbus, among some Apricot machines. Sigh.
                  • Liam Busey
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 7, 2005
                      > Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 06:19:54 -0000
                      > From: "chrism3667" <chrism3667@...>
                      > Subject: Re: New member
                      >
                      > > Acorn BBC B x2 (PAL)
                      > > Acorn BBC Master (PAL)
                      >
                      > Very interesting, although the BBC project if you
                      > will smacked of
                      > communism lol. I like alot of English puters, and if
                      > shipping wasn't
                      > so attrocious, I might actually own a few! I really
                      > really want a
                      > Research Machines Nimbus, among some Apricot
                      > machines. Sigh.

                      English computers are interesting. They seem to have
                      had many unique platforms that never really escaped
                      their shores.

                      Liam

                      http://auctions.yahoo.com/