RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Video of TCF, very brief MARCH clip

  • Ian King
    Message 1 of 44 , May 8, 2008
      I think we are in a transitional era, and your comparison with automotive technology is becoming more apt by the day.  We are moving into the post-computer era, where people are using an appliance, not an artifact of a particular class - where functionality, not identity, is definitional.  In other words: today's driver wants a fast car, and isn't asking about cam angles or throttle bodies.  Likewise, computer products aren't computers any more, they're products to serve given needs (communication, word processing, gaming, multimedia).  The computer disappears, the need is met.

      Having said that: just as with any other form of technology, there is a need for history.  I have several books on the history of motorcycles (that being my primary vehicle).  But you're right, it's not a mandatory subject like arithmetic.  On the other hand, learning the history adds depth to one's understanding - there is clearly value to understanding that before event-driven GUIs we had command lines and menus, and before that we had batch and punched cards.  It adds perspective.  That's what higher education in a given topic should provide: additional depth of understanding, which almost inevitably includes a historical aspect.  Undergrad?  Maybe.  Graduate degrees?  Without a doubt, anyone claiming 'mastery' should know the history.

      As computer engineering (which these days is nearly synonymous with 'software engineering') matures as a field and we see more degrees in that, rather than computer science, I think you'll see at least a survey of computing history as a mandatory course in the program.  As Sridhar points out in another response I just saw, computer science is more abstract, and is sometimes difficult to relate to actual computing artifacts, i.e. particular hardware and programming languages.

      And yes, there are those who can talk rings around me about motorcycle history. I just listen, and learn....  That's the most unfortunate part of the scenario you relate: that the "REAL old-timers" were less than gracious about sharing their knowledge, and instead "scoffed" at your perspective.  I work with people who weren't born yet when some of my computers were introduced (a 26-year-old was fascinated by the PDP-8/I in my office).  It's fun introducing them to a world where mice were small, furry pests, windows had to remain closed to keep dust out of the cartridge disk drives and (as someone found amusing just yesterday) computers were judged not only by performance but also by weight and cubic footage.  :-)  Cheers -- Ian

      Message 44 of 44 , May 13, 2008
        I believe that Heath Kit had already indroduced a home computer kit by
        then. The games were also supposed to help drill one's children in such
        topics as spelling and math, at least according to the advertising that
        came with the Sinclair I got my daughter.
        bs