Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Video of TCF, very brief MARCH clip

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 44 , May 8, 2008
      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote :

      > computer.
      >
      > Sridhar, I think you're going a * tad * over-the-top with that statement. :)

      "Back in the day", we were hiring software guys at Franklin. One guy's
      resume was so weird we called him in for an interview. He was a very smart
      Comp-Sci student nearing the end of his BS. His resume discussed a lot of
      theory, algorithm designs, etc, but didn't list any machines he'd actually
      used. During the interview we asked him a lot of questions about debugging,
      machine language programming, etc. He seemed rather agitated and said he
      didn't WRITE or DEBUG software, he designed it. He'd barely used any
      computers in college, and never touched a micro.

      Bear in mind this was 1982, but it was still difficult for us to understand
      how any Comp-Sci person could spend so little time writing code.

      At another company, we hired a sharp kid out of college with an EE. He
      did his first neat design, had the lab tech build a prototype, and then
      got it back. The guy was very confused. Someone asked what was wrong
      and he bluntly stated "I though EEs designed things and then other people
      got them to work! We never had to debug stuff like this in school!" He'd
      debugged much simpler designs in school, but didn't realize this is what
      he'd be doing once he graduated. D'oh!

      Bob

      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
    • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
      Message 44 of 44 , May 13, 2008
        I believe that Heath Kit had already indroduced a home computer kit by
        then. The games were also supposed to help drill one's children in such
        topics as spelling and math, at least according to the advertising that
        came with the Sinclair I got my daughter.
        bs