Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Video of TCF, very brief MARCH clip

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 44 , May 8, 2008
      Herb Johnson wrote:
      > I could not watch the entire clip, but essentially someone of high
      > school/college age and his father saw the TCF as overpriced and full
      > of junk. The youngster spent more time comparing old Macs (G3 G4
      > vintage) than deciding whether an Apple II was a "c" or an "e". He had
      > no clue as to what a pile of oscilloscopes were. I think the youngster
      > was attracted to bright shiny objects and screens with things in
      > motion - about the same level of attention as a bird. Dad said the
      > show was too small and cost too much - and he was going to complain
      > about it.
      >
      > Sometimes I post here, about the value of exhibits with
      > interpretation, with explanations of what some computer did, how they
      > did it. I have a Web site full of computer history, people in time who
      > designed and built and innovated, decades ago.
      >
      > Then I see a video like this one, which reminds me that so much of the
      > public is just like this kid. Totally, absolutely, clueless. Except,
      > about what to buy and how to run it from the keyboard and mouse and to
      > watch the screen. Maybe this kid can program something, hack a
      > computer case - who knows, who cares? And Dad, he just wants a deal on
      > something new, to find a Wal-Mart in a parking lot.
      >
      > Today, I throw up my hands.

      Herb,

      Do you know what kids are taught about computers in school now-a-days? At
      my children's school its Windows, Word, Excel, Powerpoint. There is no
      history of computing. And this has been going on for years so this is
      passing on into our colleges. Do college computer science majors let alone
      other majors, learn anything other then microsoft these days? How many
      kids have actually seen the inside of a PC let alone an older vintage
      machine? In primary and secondary schools they don't show them anything
      about real hardware, just a few bare minimum terms "mouse, keyboard, CPU,
      etc". And even with that they teach incorrect terminology (How can I
      explain that what they called the CPU is really just a case, and that the
      CPU is a microprocessor mounted on a board with lots of other devices
      without my kid ending up getting an F? My daughter actually ended up
      getting her school's 8th grade computer award last year because she
      actually knew more then the teacher. And she's a singer not a geek.)

      The overwhelming majority of students appear to know nothing of what came
      before the PC and even with that they seem to believe that nothing existed
      beyond windows and that Gates invented the whole thing. Its all a magic
      box. Have you ever spoken to a technical support person today? If they
      can't follow a canned menu of clicks they are lost. What would be really
      cool would be if someone organized some sort of presentation for schools to
      teach the truth about the history of computers. Maybe a future MARCH project.

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2008 - Santa Cruz, California: http://www.warpstock.org
      Warpstock Europe 2008 - Düsseldorf, Germany: http://www.warpstock.eu

      http://www.os2voice.org

      Investigation, 1938
    • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
      Message 44 of 44 , May 13, 2008
        I believe that Heath Kit had already indroduced a home computer kit by
        then. The games were also supposed to help drill one's children in such
        topics as spelling and math, at least according to the advertising that
        came with the Sinclair I got my daughter.
        bs