Re: Video of TCF, very brief MARCH clip

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 44 , May 8 6:52 AM
      I could not watch the entire clip, but essentially someone of high
      school/college age and his father saw the TCF as overpriced and full
      of junk. The youngster spent more time comparing old Macs (G3 G4
      vintage) than deciding whether an Apple II was a "c" or an "e". He had
      no clue as to what a pile of oscilloscopes were. I think the youngster
      was attracted to bright shiny objects and screens with things in
      motion - about the same level of attention as a bird. Dad said the
      show was too small and cost too much - and he was going to complain
      about it.

      Sometimes I post here, about the value of exhibits with
      interpretation, with explanations of what some computer did, how they
      did it. I have a Web site full of computer history, people in time who
      designed and built and innovated, decades ago.

      Then I see a video like this one, which reminds me that so much of the
      public is just like this kid. Totally, absolutely, clueless. Except,
      about what to buy and how to run it from the keyboard and mouse and to
      watch the screen. Maybe this kid can program something, hack a
      computer case - who knows, who cares? And Dad, he just wants a deal on
      something new, to find a Wal-Mart in a parking lot.

      Today, I throw up my hands.

      Herb Johnson
      too old
      retrotechnology.com
    • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
      Message 44 of 44 , May 13 6:55 AM
        I believe that Heath Kit had already indroduced a home computer kit by
        then. The games were also supposed to help drill one's children in such
        topics as spelling and math, at least according to the advertising that
        came with the Sinclair I got my daughter.
        bs