Re: any teletypes in New Orleans?

  • jack99rubin
    Message 1 of 23 , May 5, 2008
      There is a passionate group of teletype and RTTY enthusiasts online
      at the Greenkeys mailing list - more info at
      http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/greenkeys . I expect there
      will be members in the New Orleans area.

      Jack
      KC9HVE

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Herb Johnson"
      <herbjohnson@...> wrote:

      > I have an old friend and computer techie (and radio amateur) in New
      > Orleans, who for many years collected and worked with Teletypes of
      > various models, Baudot and ASCII. But after several moves he's lost
      > them. Now he has some time to work with them, although with age he
      has
      > some vision and physical limitations to do fine work.
      >
      > He tells me he'd like a Model 28 or a strip printer, something of
      that
      > sort, to work with again. Is there anyone who has some of these, who
      > can transport something to the New Orleans area, who isn't looking
      > make money selling them as "vintage" machines? Frankly, I've not
      > checked the market for such equipment. I assume the Model 33's are
      > selling "well", but the Baudot models I would imagine are not.
      >
      > Contact me privately (email address below) if you can give me any
      > leads accordingly. I don't want to ship a Teletype hundreds or
      > thousands of miles, they just won't survive, so this MUST
      be "local".

      > Herb Johnson
      >
      > Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
      > http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ web site
      > http://www.retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/ domain mirror
      > my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
      > if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
      > "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
      > S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 23 , May 8, 2008
        On the Vintage Computer Forums:

        http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=11016

        TRS-80 Model I and Model 2000 HD free for pickup in central NJ.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 23 , May 8, 2008
          Thanks Mike.

          I sent the poster an email saying "Get ye to MARCH".

          Message 4 of 23 , May 8, 2008
            I already claimed it!
            bd

            > TRS-80 Model I and Model 2000 HD free for pickup in central NJ.
            >

            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 23 , May 8, 2008
              Bill Degnan wrote:
              > I already claimed it!

              Well, you are the Tandy guy! ;) <duck>

              Cheers,

              Bryan

              > bd

            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                On Thu, 8 May 2008, Bryan Pope wrote:

                > Bill Degnan wrote:
                >> I already claimed it!
                >>
                > Well, you are the Tandy guy! ;) <duck>

                With apologies to Sammy Davis Jr:

                "Who can take a Coco, connect a drive or two
                Reseat all the RAM, and make it boot like new
                The Tandy Man, oh the Tandy Man can
                The Tandy Man can 'cause he tweaks up every monitor
                until it's good."

                :-)

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                  sheesh!

                  I like the 2000's never had one.

                  Bill

                  > "Who can take a Coco, connect a drive or two
                  > Reseat all the RAM, and make it boot like new
                  > The Tandy Man, oh the Tandy Man can
                  > The Tandy Man can 'cause he tweaks up every monitor
                  > until it's good."
                  >
                  > :-)
                  >

                  > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                • Kelly Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                    The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.

                    Kelly

                    PS For sheer quantity, I bet I'm the Tandy man... ;-)

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                      > The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.
                      >
                      > Kelly
                      >
                      > PS For sheer quantity, I bet I'm the Tandy man... ;-)

                      will you have an exhibit at VCF with Tandy's?
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                        >> To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                        >> Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Free TRS-80 in NJ
                        >>
                        >> The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.
                        >>
                        >> Kelly

                        Don't make me write another verse... :-)

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Bryan Pope
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                          Mike Loewen wrote:
                          >>> To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                          >>> Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Free TRS-80 in NJ
                          >>>
                          >>> The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.
                          >>>
                          >>> Kelly
                          >>>

                          > Don't make me write another verse... :-)

                          Please please please please please please please please please please
                          please! :D

                          Thanks!,

                          Bryan
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                            >>> will you have an exhibit at VCF with Tandy's?

                            No, that was at East 3.0!
                          • Bill Degnan
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                              Who takes stringy floppies
                              runs them over with his car?
                              pours a little gasoline
                              and lights with a cigar?

                              > > Don't make me write another verse... :-)
                              > >

                              > Please please please please please please please please please please
                              > please! :D
                              >
                              > Thanks!,
                              >
                              > Bryan

                            • Dan Roganti
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 8, 2008

                                well, you could always add these versus to the last one I sent 2 months ago(below)

                                =Dan

                                Bill Degnan wrote:
                                Who takes stringy floppies
                                runs them over with his car?
                                pours a little gasoline
                                and lights with a cigar?

                                Mike Loewen wrote:
                                "Who can take a Coco, connect a drive or two
                                Reseat all the RAM, and make it boot like new
                                The Tandy Man, oh the Tandy Man can
                                The Tandy Man can 'cause he tweaks up every monitor
                                until it's good
                                Dan Roganti wrote:
                                --adapted from Willy Wonka and sung to the tune Candy man

                                Tandy Man:
                                    Who can take a Sun workstation ?
                                    Finkle in a screw ----
                                    Cover it in paint--
                                    is it a miracle or taboo ?--

                                    The Tandy man
                                    The Tandy man can
                                    The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                    and makes the world run good

                                    Who can take a wet DEC rainbow
                                    Disassemble it is a sigh
                                    Dry it first in the sun
                                    and let the floppy drives run dry ?

                                Children: The Tandy man ?

                                Tandy Man:
                                    The Tandy man
                                    The Tandy man can
                                    The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                    and makes the world run good

                                    Tandy man makes
                                    All the vintage flakes
                                    Satisfying not to own jalopies
                                    Talk about your childhood vintage copies
                                    You can even eat the floppies

                                    Who can take Morrow S-100 motherboard
                                    Whip it in a snap
                                    Separate the blown tantalums
                                    And collect up all the scrap?

                                The Tandy man

                                Children:
                                     The Tandy man can

                                Tandy Man:
                                    The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                    And makes the world run good
                                    And the world runs good cause the Tandy man thinks it should

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                  Message
                                  ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH -- our deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room.  I think we succeeded!

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                    > ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH
                                    > -- our deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room. I think
                                    > we succeeded!

                                    Bryan notices Andy *slowly* moving away from Evan.... :p

                                    Cheers,

                                    Bryan

                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                      Bryan Pope wrote:
                                      Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                      ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH
                                      -- our deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room.  I think
                                      we succeeded!

                                      Bryan notices Andy *slowly* moving away from Evan.... :p

                                      yea, I smell a wumpus

                                      shoot arrow !!!

                                      =Dan

                                    • Andy Meyer
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                        On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                                        > ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH -- our
                                        > deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room.

                                        That's your story. I can't say I've ever had that problem. :)
                                      • Herb Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 9, 2008
                                          "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                          > Who takes stringy floppies
                                          > runs them over with his car?
                                          > pours a little gasoline
                                          > and lights with a cigar?

                                          I laughed out loud at that one! Oh, "LOL" for you new guys.

                                          Thanks, I needed that. It was funnier, because I saw what those drives
                                          sold for on eBay. Let me know if you need more tapes.

                                          Herb Johnson
                                          grumpy old computer guy
                                          retrotechnology.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 9, 2008

                                            >I laughed out loud at that one! Oh, "LOL" for you new guys.
                                            >
                                            >Thanks, I needed that. It was funnier, because I saw what those drives
                                            >sold for on eBay. Let me know if you need more tapes.

                                            You have stringy wafers?