Re: [midatlanticretro] any teletypes in New Orleans?

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 23 , May 5, 2008
      It's possible you might find some Teletype machines on a ham radio
      list, but most hams these days use software to generate RTTY signals for
      on-the-air use. Obviously, no one makes parts for the old mechanical
      machines, and users are left to cannibalize old machines.

      73 de Ray

      On May 5, 2008, at 3:40 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > I highly doubt there's anyone from N.O. on the MARCH list ... try
      > classiccmp, methinks. :)
      >

      >> I have an old friend and computer techie (and radio amateur) in New
      >> Orleans, who for many years collected and worked with Teletypes of
      >> various models, Baudot and ASCII. But after several moves he's lost
      >> them. Now he has some time to work with them, although with age he
      >> has
      >> some vision and physical limitations to do fine work.
      >>
      >> He tells me he'd like a Model 28 or a strip printer, something of
      >> that
      >> sort, to work with again. Is there anyone who has some of these, who
      >> can transport something to the New Orleans area, who isn't looking to
      >> make money selling them as "vintage" machines? Frankly, I've not
      >> checked the market for such equipment. I assume the Model 33's are
      >> selling "well", but the Baudot models I would imagine are not.
      >>
      >> Contact me privately (email address below) if you can give me any
      >> leads accordingly. I don't want to ship a Teletype hundreds or
      >> thousands of miles, they just won't survive, so this MUST be "local".
      >>
      >> Herb Johnson
      >>
      >> Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
      >> http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ web site
      >> http://www.retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/ domain mirror
      >> my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
      >> if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
      >> "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
      >> S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

    • jack99rubin
      Message 2 of 23 , May 5, 2008
        There is a passionate group of teletype and RTTY enthusiasts online
        at the Greenkeys mailing list - more info at
        http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/greenkeys . I expect there
        will be members in the New Orleans area.

        Jack
        KC9HVE

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Herb Johnson"
        <herbjohnson@...> wrote:

        > I have an old friend and computer techie (and radio amateur) in New
        > Orleans, who for many years collected and worked with Teletypes of
        > various models, Baudot and ASCII. But after several moves he's lost
        > them. Now he has some time to work with them, although with age he
        has
        > some vision and physical limitations to do fine work.
        >
        > He tells me he'd like a Model 28 or a strip printer, something of
        that
        > sort, to work with again. Is there anyone who has some of these, who
        > can transport something to the New Orleans area, who isn't looking
        > make money selling them as "vintage" machines? Frankly, I've not
        > checked the market for such equipment. I assume the Model 33's are
        > selling "well", but the Baudot models I would imagine are not.
        >
        > Contact me privately (email address below) if you can give me any
        > leads accordingly. I don't want to ship a Teletype hundreds or
        > thousands of miles, they just won't survive, so this MUST
        be "local".

        > Herb Johnson
        >
        > Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
        > http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ web site
        > http://www.retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/ domain mirror
        > my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
        > if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
        > "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
        > S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 23 , May 8, 2008
          On the Vintage Computer Forums:

          http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=11016

          TRS-80 Model I and Model 2000 HD free for pickup in central NJ.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 23 , May 8, 2008
            Thanks Mike.

            I sent the poster an email saying "Get ye to MARCH".

            Message 5 of 23 , May 8, 2008
              I already claimed it!
              bd

              > TRS-80 Model I and Model 2000 HD free for pickup in central NJ.
              >

              > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                Bill Degnan wrote:
                > I already claimed it!

                Well, you are the Tandy guy! ;) <duck>

                Cheers,

                Bryan

                > bd

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                  On Thu, 8 May 2008, Bryan Pope wrote:

                  > Bill Degnan wrote:
                  >> I already claimed it!
                  >>
                  > Well, you are the Tandy guy! ;) <duck>

                  With apologies to Sammy Davis Jr:

                  "Who can take a Coco, connect a drive or two
                  Reseat all the RAM, and make it boot like new
                  The Tandy Man, oh the Tandy Man can
                  The Tandy Man can 'cause he tweaks up every monitor
                  until it's good."

                  :-)

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                    sheesh!

                    I like the 2000's never had one.

                    Bill

                    > "Who can take a Coco, connect a drive or two
                    > Reseat all the RAM, and make it boot like new
                    > The Tandy Man, oh the Tandy Man can
                    > The Tandy Man can 'cause he tweaks up every monitor
                    > until it's good."
                    >
                    > :-)
                    >

                    > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                      The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.

                      Kelly

                      PS For sheer quantity, I bet I'm the Tandy man... ;-)

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                        > The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.
                        >
                        > Kelly
                        >
                        > PS For sheer quantity, I bet I'm the Tandy man... ;-)

                        will you have an exhibit at VCF with Tandy's?
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                          >> To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                          >> Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Free TRS-80 in NJ
                          >>
                          >> The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.
                          >>
                          >> Kelly

                          Don't make me write another verse... :-)

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • Bryan Pope
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                            Mike Loewen wrote:
                            >>> To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            >>> Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Free TRS-80 in NJ
                            >>>
                            >>> The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.
                            >>>
                            >>> Kelly
                            >>>

                            > Don't make me write another verse... :-)

                            Please please please please please please please please please please
                            please! :D

                            Thanks!,

                            Bryan
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                              >>> will you have an exhibit at VCF with Tandy's?

                              No, that was at East 3.0!
                            • Bill Degnan
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                Who takes stringy floppies
                                runs them over with his car?
                                pours a little gasoline
                                and lights with a cigar?

                                > > Don't make me write another verse... :-)
                                > >

                                > Please please please please please please please please please please
                                > please! :D
                                >
                                > Thanks!,
                                >
                                > Bryan

                              • Dan Roganti
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 8, 2008

                                  well, you could always add these versus to the last one I sent 2 months ago(below)

                                  =Dan

                                  Bill Degnan wrote:
                                  Who takes stringy floppies
                                  runs them over with his car?
                                  pours a little gasoline
                                  and lights with a cigar?

                                  Mike Loewen wrote:
                                  "Who can take a Coco, connect a drive or two
                                  Reseat all the RAM, and make it boot like new
                                  The Tandy Man, oh the Tandy Man can
                                  The Tandy Man can 'cause he tweaks up every monitor
                                  until it's good
                                  Dan Roganti wrote:
                                  --adapted from Willy Wonka and sung to the tune Candy man

                                  Tandy Man:
                                      Who can take a Sun workstation ?
                                      Finkle in a screw ----
                                      Cover it in paint--
                                      is it a miracle or taboo ?--

                                      The Tandy man
                                      The Tandy man can
                                      The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                      and makes the world run good

                                      Who can take a wet DEC rainbow
                                      Disassemble it is a sigh
                                      Dry it first in the sun
                                      and let the floppy drives run dry ?

                                  Children: The Tandy man ?

                                  Tandy Man:
                                      The Tandy man
                                      The Tandy man can
                                      The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                      and makes the world run good

                                      Tandy man makes
                                      All the vintage flakes
                                      Satisfying not to own jalopies
                                      Talk about your childhood vintage copies
                                      You can even eat the floppies

                                      Who can take Morrow S-100 motherboard
                                      Whip it in a snap
                                      Separate the blown tantalums
                                      And collect up all the scrap?

                                  The Tandy man

                                  Children:
                                       The Tandy man can

                                  Tandy Man:
                                      The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                      And makes the world run good
                                      And the world runs good cause the Tandy man thinks it should

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                    Message
                                    ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH -- our deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room.  I think we succeeded!

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                      > ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH
                                      > -- our deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room. I think
                                      > we succeeded!

                                      Bryan notices Andy *slowly* moving away from Evan.... :p

                                      Cheers,

                                      Bryan

                                    • Dan Roganti
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                        Bryan Pope wrote:
                                        Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                        ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH
                                        -- our deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room.  I think
                                        we succeeded!

                                        Bryan notices Andy *slowly* moving away from Evan.... :p

                                        yea, I smell a wumpus

                                        shoot arrow !!!

                                        =Dan

                                      • Andy Meyer
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                          On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                                          > ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH -- our
                                          > deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room.

                                          That's your story. I can't say I've ever had that problem. :)
                                        • Herb Johnson
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 9, 2008
                                            "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                            > Who takes stringy floppies
                                            > runs them over with his car?
                                            > pours a little gasoline
                                            > and lights with a cigar?

                                            I laughed out loud at that one! Oh, "LOL" for you new guys.

                                            Thanks, I needed that. It was funnier, because I saw what those drives
                                            sold for on eBay. Let me know if you need more tapes.

                                            Herb Johnson
                                            grumpy old computer guy
                                            retrotechnology.com
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 9, 2008

                                              >I laughed out loud at that one! Oh, "LOL" for you new guys.
                                              >
                                              >Thanks, I needed that. It was funnier, because I saw what those drives
                                              >sold for on eBay. Let me know if you need more tapes.

                                              You have stringy wafers?