any teletypes in New Orleans?

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 23 , May 5, 2008
      I have an old friend and computer techie (and radio amateur) in New
      Orleans, who for many years collected and worked with Teletypes of
      various models, Baudot and ASCII. But after several moves he's lost
      them. Now he has some time to work with them, although with age he has
      some vision and physical limitations to do fine work.

      He tells me he'd like a Model 28 or a strip printer, something of that
      sort, to work with again. Is there anyone who has some of these, who
      can transport something to the New Orleans area, who isn't looking to
      make money selling them as "vintage" machines? Frankly, I've not
      checked the market for such equipment. I assume the Model 33's are
      selling "well", but the Baudot models I would imagine are not.

      Contact me privately (email address below) if you can give me any
      leads accordingly. I don't want to ship a Teletype hundreds or
      thousands of miles, they just won't survive, so this MUST be "local".

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
      Message 2 of 23 , May 5, 2008
        I highly doubt there's anyone from N.O. on the MARCH list ... try
        classiccmp, methinks. :)

        > I have an old friend and computer techie (and radio amateur) in New
        > Orleans, who for many years collected and worked with Teletypes of
        > various models, Baudot and ASCII. But after several moves he's lost
        > them. Now he has some time to work with them, although with age he has
        > some vision and physical limitations to do fine work.
        >
        > He tells me he'd like a Model 28 or a strip printer, something of that
        > sort, to work with again. Is there anyone who has some of these, who
        > can transport something to the New Orleans area, who isn't looking to
        > make money selling them as "vintage" machines? Frankly, I've not
        > checked the market for such equipment. I assume the Model 33's are
        > selling "well", but the Baudot models I would imagine are not.
        >
        > Contact me privately (email address below) if you can give me any
        > leads accordingly. I don't want to ship a Teletype hundreds or
        > thousands of miles, they just won't survive, so this MUST be "local".
        >
        > Herb Johnson
        >
        > Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
        > http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ web site
        > http://www.retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/ domain mirror
        > my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
        > if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
        > "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
        > S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

      • Ray Sills
        Message 3 of 23 , May 5, 2008
          It's possible you might find some Teletype machines on a ham radio
          list, but most hams these days use software to generate RTTY signals for
          on-the-air use. Obviously, no one makes parts for the old mechanical
          machines, and users are left to cannibalize old machines.

          73 de Ray

          On May 5, 2008, at 3:40 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > I highly doubt there's anyone from N.O. on the MARCH list ... try
          > classiccmp, methinks. :)
          >

          >> I have an old friend and computer techie (and radio amateur) in New
          >> Orleans, who for many years collected and worked with Teletypes of
          >> various models, Baudot and ASCII. But after several moves he's lost
          >> them. Now he has some time to work with them, although with age he
          >> has
          >> some vision and physical limitations to do fine work.
          >>
          >> He tells me he'd like a Model 28 or a strip printer, something of
          >> that
          >> sort, to work with again. Is there anyone who has some of these, who
          >> can transport something to the New Orleans area, who isn't looking to
          >> make money selling them as "vintage" machines? Frankly, I've not
          >> checked the market for such equipment. I assume the Model 33's are
          >> selling "well", but the Baudot models I would imagine are not.
          >>
          >> Contact me privately (email address below) if you can give me any
          >> leads accordingly. I don't want to ship a Teletype hundreds or
          >> thousands of miles, they just won't survive, so this MUST be "local".
          >>
          >> Herb Johnson
          >>
          >> Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
          >> http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ web site
          >> http://www.retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/ domain mirror
          >> my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
          >> if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
          >> "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
          >> S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

        • jack99rubin
          Message 4 of 23 , May 5, 2008
            There is a passionate group of teletype and RTTY enthusiasts online
            at the Greenkeys mailing list - more info at
            http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/greenkeys . I expect there
            will be members in the New Orleans area.

            Jack
            KC9HVE

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Herb Johnson"
            <herbjohnson@...> wrote:

            > I have an old friend and computer techie (and radio amateur) in New
            > Orleans, who for many years collected and worked with Teletypes of
            > various models, Baudot and ASCII. But after several moves he's lost
            > them. Now he has some time to work with them, although with age he
            has
            > some vision and physical limitations to do fine work.
            >
            > He tells me he'd like a Model 28 or a strip printer, something of
            that
            > sort, to work with again. Is there anyone who has some of these, who
            > can transport something to the New Orleans area, who isn't looking
            > make money selling them as "vintage" machines? Frankly, I've not
            > checked the market for such equipment. I assume the Model 33's are
            > selling "well", but the Baudot models I would imagine are not.
            >
            > Contact me privately (email address below) if you can give me any
            > leads accordingly. I don't want to ship a Teletype hundreds or
            > thousands of miles, they just won't survive, so this MUST
            be "local".

            > Herb Johnson
            >
            > Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
            > http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ web site
            > http://www.retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/ domain mirror
            > my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
            > if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
            > "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
            > S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 23 , May 8, 2008
              On the Vintage Computer Forums:

              http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=11016

              TRS-80 Model I and Model 2000 HD free for pickup in central NJ.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                Thanks Mike.

                I sent the poster an email saying "Get ye to MARCH".

                Message 7 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                  I already claimed it!
                  bd

                  > TRS-80 Model I and Model 2000 HD free for pickup in central NJ.
                  >

                  > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                    Bill Degnan wrote:
                    > I already claimed it!

                    Well, you are the Tandy guy! ;) <duck>

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan

                    > bd

                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                      On Thu, 8 May 2008, Bryan Pope wrote:

                      > Bill Degnan wrote:
                      >> I already claimed it!
                      >>
                      > Well, you are the Tandy guy! ;) <duck>

                      With apologies to Sammy Davis Jr:

                      "Who can take a Coco, connect a drive or two
                      Reseat all the RAM, and make it boot like new
                      The Tandy Man, oh the Tandy Man can
                      The Tandy Man can 'cause he tweaks up every monitor
                      until it's good."

                      :-)

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                        sheesh!

                        I like the 2000's never had one.

                        Bill

                        > "Who can take a Coco, connect a drive or two
                        > Reseat all the RAM, and make it boot like new
                        > The Tandy Man, oh the Tandy Man can
                        > The Tandy Man can 'cause he tweaks up every monitor
                        > until it's good."
                        >
                        > :-)
                        >

                        > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                      • Kelly Leavitt
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                          The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.

                          Kelly

                          PS For sheer quantity, I bet I'm the Tandy man... ;-)

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                            > The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.
                            >
                            > Kelly
                            >
                            > PS For sheer quantity, I bet I'm the Tandy man... ;-)

                            will you have an exhibit at VCF with Tandy's?
                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                              >> To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                              >> Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Free TRS-80 in NJ
                              >>
                              >> The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.
                              >>
                              >> Kelly

                              Don't make me write another verse... :-)

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • Bryan Pope
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                Mike Loewen wrote:
                                >>> To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                >>> Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Free TRS-80 in NJ
                                >>>
                                >>> The 2000's are great. I have a lot of software for it.
                                >>>
                                >>> Kelly
                                >>>

                                > Don't make me write another verse... :-)

                                Please please please please please please please please please please
                                please! :D

                                Thanks!,

                                Bryan
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                  >>> will you have an exhibit at VCF with Tandy's?

                                  No, that was at East 3.0!
                                • Bill Degnan
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                    Who takes stringy floppies
                                    runs them over with his car?
                                    pours a little gasoline
                                    and lights with a cigar?

                                    > > Don't make me write another verse... :-)
                                    > >

                                    > Please please please please please please please please please please
                                    > please! :D
                                    >
                                    > Thanks!,
                                    >
                                    > Bryan

                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 8, 2008

                                      well, you could always add these versus to the last one I sent 2 months ago(below)

                                      =Dan

                                      Bill Degnan wrote:
                                      Who takes stringy floppies
                                      runs them over with his car?
                                      pours a little gasoline
                                      and lights with a cigar?

                                      Mike Loewen wrote:
                                      "Who can take a Coco, connect a drive or two
                                      Reseat all the RAM, and make it boot like new
                                      The Tandy Man, oh the Tandy Man can
                                      The Tandy Man can 'cause he tweaks up every monitor
                                      until it's good
                                      Dan Roganti wrote:
                                      --adapted from Willy Wonka and sung to the tune Candy man

                                      Tandy Man:
                                          Who can take a Sun workstation ?
                                          Finkle in a screw ----
                                          Cover it in paint--
                                          is it a miracle or taboo ?--

                                          The Tandy man
                                          The Tandy man can
                                          The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                          and makes the world run good

                                          Who can take a wet DEC rainbow
                                          Disassemble it is a sigh
                                          Dry it first in the sun
                                          and let the floppy drives run dry ?

                                      Children: The Tandy man ?

                                      Tandy Man:
                                          The Tandy man
                                          The Tandy man can
                                          The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                          and makes the world run good

                                          Tandy man makes
                                          All the vintage flakes
                                          Satisfying not to own jalopies
                                          Talk about your childhood vintage copies
                                          You can even eat the floppies

                                          Who can take Morrow S-100 motherboard
                                          Whip it in a snap
                                          Separate the blown tantalums
                                          And collect up all the scrap?

                                      The Tandy man

                                      Children:
                                           The Tandy man can

                                      Tandy Man:
                                          The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                          And makes the world run good
                                          And the world runs good cause the Tandy man thinks it should

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                        Message
                                        ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH -- our deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room.  I think we succeeded!

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                          Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                          > ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH
                                          > -- our deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room. I think
                                          > we succeeded!

                                          Bryan notices Andy *slowly* moving away from Evan.... :p

                                          Cheers,

                                          Bryan

                                        • Dan Roganti
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                            Bryan Pope wrote:
                                            Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                            ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH
                                            -- our deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room.  I think
                                            we succeeded!

                                            Bryan notices Andy *slowly* moving away from Evan.... :p

                                            yea, I smell a wumpus

                                            shoot arrow !!!

                                            =Dan

                                          • Andy Meyer
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                              On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                                              > ...And thus emerges the REAL motive for why Andy and I founded MARCH -- our
                                              > deep desire not to be the weirdest guys in the room.

                                              That's your story. I can't say I've ever had that problem. :)
                                            • Herb Johnson
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 9, 2008
                                                "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                                > Who takes stringy floppies
                                                > runs them over with his car?
                                                > pours a little gasoline
                                                > and lights with a cigar?

                                                I laughed out loud at that one! Oh, "LOL" for you new guys.

                                                Thanks, I needed that. It was funnier, because I saw what those drives
                                                sold for on eBay. Let me know if you need more tapes.

                                                Herb Johnson
                                                grumpy old computer guy
                                                retrotechnology.com
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 9, 2008

                                                  >I laughed out loud at that one! Oh, "LOL" for you new guys.
                                                  >
                                                  >Thanks, I needed that. It was funnier, because I saw what those drives
                                                  >sold for on eBay. Let me know if you need more tapes.

                                                  You have stringy wafers?