RE: [midatlanticretro] vintagecomputer.net update

    Message 1 of 27 , May 3, 2008
      I borrowed that first issue from Erik K. @ VCF last fall. Had it
      autographed by Lee Felsenstein. :)

      -----Original Message-----
      From: B. Degnan [mailto:billdeg@...]
      Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 12:53 AM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] vintagecomputer.net update

      It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

      http://vintagecomputer.net

      bd

    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 27 , May 4, 2008

        Bryan Pope wrote:
        Evan wrote:

        It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

        LOL!  And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :)  Lots
        of funny parts...

        I   AM    I-I-I-R-R-O-O-N-N-M-M-A-A-N-N

        Definitely worth absorbing the ambiance from the silver screen.

        But then I didn't grow up without my comic books nor graphic novels.

        =Dan

      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 27 , May 4, 2008
          "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> wrote:

          > I just read
          > http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
          > That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
          > appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
          > Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.
          >
          > I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
          > http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
          > I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
          > the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!)...

          Hello, Jeff, my compliments.

          Thanks for the Web link and your compliments about Dave's Web page.
          I've added the IBM link to "my" PDP-8 Web page. In due course I'll add
          your plotter comments here as a description there, with your
          permission. Thanks!

          > I have the IBM manuals for the plotter.

          You might compare them to the Calcomp manuals which Dave links to on
          his site.

          > I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about
          > 100 feet) but
          > most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

          Preprinting is no big deal; one could reverse the roll. I'd like a few
          rolls for my plotter; I presume MARCH would like a few. I'd be glad to
          pay shipping for some rolls and pass a few along to MARCH. I'll
          contact you privately to discuss terms.

          > When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
          > all the pieces

          Greatly appreciated, I'll add them to the page, you can send them to
          me. Let me know if there are any photos I need to take of *my*
          plotter. Presuming Evan permits me to restore the MARCH/Kagan plotter,
          I'll photograph it while in process.

          Hmmm...this bit of work may evolve into a permanent Calcomp plotter
          Web page on my (retrotechnology.com) Web site. Ultimately I presume
          MARCH will have their own PDP-8 Web page with other bits like the
          plotter, TTY, any papertape reader MARCH comes up with).

          Herb Johnson
          old plotter
          retrotechnology.com
          Message 4 of 27 , May 4, 2008
            Today was the first day our '8 was on public display at the museum. We had
            a typical amount of visitors today (around a dozen), most of whom seemed
            very into computers (sometimes they're not). Everyone today had that 'wow'
            expression when they saw the minicomputer. :)

            NJARC's Harry Klancer was particularly happy to see it in our museum,
            because he used to work on the same model. I suggested to him that he sign
            on to our list here...

            Tuesday night, I'm meeting the plastics guy (see thread below). Going to
            bring him the intact side of the '8 cover so he can take measurements and
            assess whether it's feasible to make two replicas at a decent price for us.
            (Dont worry, I am NOT leaving the original cover with him.)

            I had to bring the cover home today in the passenger seat because it doesn't
            fit in my trunk!