Re: OT: Harold & Kumar (was: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: plotter from Kagan)

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 27 , May 3 12:33 PM
      Evan wrote:
      > It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

      LOL! And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :) Lots
      of funny parts...

      Cheers,

      Bryan

    • mejeep_ferret
      Message 2 of 27 , May 3 5:50 PM
        I just read
        http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
        That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
        appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
        Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.

        I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
        http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
        I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
        the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!) I wrote FORTRAN
        programs to generate Bode plots on the semilog paper, pausing to
        change pen color for phase and magnitude.

        They're actually made by Calcomp (and the 1130's paper tape reader was
        actually made by Tally).

        The interface is /really dumb/: just wires for
        +X one step (1/100 inch)
        -X one step
        +Y one step
        -Y one step
        pen up
        pen down

        I have the IBM manuals for the plotter. It's an amazing amount of
        transistorized circuitry for just advancing the stepper motors without
        anything fancy such as slewing them motors.

        I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about 100 feet) but
        most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

        Yes, the takeup spool was just a spare cardboard tube from the paper
        roll. The drum was large enough to tape a letter sized paper on it
        (preferably with drafting tape so it removes completely without residue).

        When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
        all the pieces
        - the solenoid used for all pen types
        - the sleeve and low top for the small ballpoint pens
        - the sleeve and high top for the pressurized ballpoint pens
        - the tip, barrel, collar, ink reservoir and hollow top for the
        drafting pens
        - the small glass alignment reticle with crosshairs for aligning the
        carriage using the holder one inch above the pen (the program had to
        move back one inch since it's not reasonable for the operator to count
        100 single steps). (the Bendix carriage does not have that).
        - the large glass alignment reticle with crosshairs that goes into the
        pen holder for aligning where the pen goes.

        The hollow top for the drafting pen also allowed felt tip pens that
        were fitted with a metal ring.

        -- Jeff Jonas
        Message 3 of 27 , May 3 9:52 PM
          It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

          http://vintagecomputer.net

          bd
          Message 4 of 27 , May 3 9:56 PM
            I borrowed that first issue from Erik K. @ VCF last fall. Had it
            autographed by Lee Felsenstein. :)

            It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

            http://vintagecomputer.net

            bd

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 27 , May 4 8:57 AM

              Bryan Pope wrote:
              Evan wrote:

              It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

              LOL!  And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :)  Lots
              of funny parts...

              I   AM    I-I-I-R-R-O-O-N-N-M-M-A-A-N-N

              Definitely worth absorbing the ambiance from the silver screen.

              But then I didn't grow up without my comic books nor graphic novels.

              =Dan

            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 27 , May 4 1:49 PM
                "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> wrote:

                > I just read
                > http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                > That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                > appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                > Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.
                >
                > I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                > http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                > I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                > the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!)...

                Hello, Jeff, my compliments.

                Thanks for the Web link and your compliments about Dave's Web page.
                I've added the IBM link to "my" PDP-8 Web page. In due course I'll add
                your plotter comments here as a description there, with your
                permission. Thanks!

                > I have the IBM manuals for the plotter.

                You might compare them to the Calcomp manuals which Dave links to on
                his site.

                > I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about
                > 100 feet) but
                > most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                Preprinting is no big deal; one could reverse the roll. I'd like a few
                rolls for my plotter; I presume MARCH would like a few. I'd be glad to
                pay shipping for some rolls and pass a few along to MARCH. I'll
                contact you privately to discuss terms.

                > When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                > all the pieces

                Greatly appreciated, I'll add them to the page, you can send them to
                me. Let me know if there are any photos I need to take of *my*
                plotter. Presuming Evan permits me to restore the MARCH/Kagan plotter,
                I'll photograph it while in process.

                Hmmm...this bit of work may evolve into a permanent Calcomp plotter
                Web page on my (retrotechnology.com) Web site. Ultimately I presume
                MARCH will have their own PDP-8 Web page with other bits like the
                plotter, TTY, any papertape reader MARCH comes up with).

                Herb Johnson
                old plotter
                retrotechnology.com
                Message 7 of 27 , May 4 8:56 PM
                  Today was the first day our '8 was on public display at the museum. We had
                  a typical amount of visitors today (around a dozen), most of whom seemed
                  very into computers (sometimes they're not). Everyone today had that 'wow'
                  expression when they saw the minicomputer. :)

                  NJARC's Harry Klancer was particularly happy to see it in our museum,
                  because he used to work on the same model. I suggested to him that he sign
                  on to our list here...

                  Tuesday night, I'm meeting the plastics guy (see thread below). Going to
                  bring him the intact side of the '8 cover so he can take measurements and
                  assess whether it's feasible to make two replicas at a decent price for us.
                  (Dont worry, I am NOT leaving the original cover with him.)

                  I had to bring the cover home today in the passenger seat because it doesn't
                  fit in my trunk!