Re: OT: Harold & Kumar (was: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: plotter from Kagan)

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 27 , May 3, 2008
      It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

      Message 2 of 27 , May 3, 2008
        Evan wrote:
        > It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

        LOL! And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :) Lots
        of funny parts...

        Cheers,

        Bryan

      • mejeep_ferret
        Message 3 of 27 , May 3, 2008
          I just read
          http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
          That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
          appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
          Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.

          I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
          http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
          I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
          the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!) I wrote FORTRAN
          programs to generate Bode plots on the semilog paper, pausing to
          change pen color for phase and magnitude.

          They're actually made by Calcomp (and the 1130's paper tape reader was
          actually made by Tally).

          The interface is /really dumb/: just wires for
          +X one step (1/100 inch)
          -X one step
          +Y one step
          -Y one step
          pen up
          pen down

          I have the IBM manuals for the plotter. It's an amazing amount of
          transistorized circuitry for just advancing the stepper motors without
          anything fancy such as slewing them motors.

          I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about 100 feet) but
          most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

          Yes, the takeup spool was just a spare cardboard tube from the paper
          roll. The drum was large enough to tape a letter sized paper on it
          (preferably with drafting tape so it removes completely without residue).

          When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
          all the pieces
          - the solenoid used for all pen types
          - the sleeve and low top for the small ballpoint pens
          - the sleeve and high top for the pressurized ballpoint pens
          - the tip, barrel, collar, ink reservoir and hollow top for the
          drafting pens
          - the small glass alignment reticle with crosshairs for aligning the
          carriage using the holder one inch above the pen (the program had to
          move back one inch since it's not reasonable for the operator to count
          100 single steps). (the Bendix carriage does not have that).
          - the large glass alignment reticle with crosshairs that goes into the
          pen holder for aligning where the pen goes.

          The hollow top for the drafting pen also allowed felt tip pens that
          were fitted with a metal ring.

          -- Jeff Jonas
          Message 4 of 27 , May 3, 2008
            It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

            http://vintagecomputer.net

            bd
            Message 5 of 27 , May 3, 2008
              I borrowed that first issue from Erik K. @ VCF last fall. Had it
              autographed by Lee Felsenstein. :)

              It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

              http://vintagecomputer.net

              bd

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 27 , May 4, 2008

                Bryan Pope wrote:
                Evan wrote:

                It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                LOL!  And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :)  Lots
                of funny parts...

                I   AM    I-I-I-R-R-O-O-N-N-M-M-A-A-N-N

                Definitely worth absorbing the ambiance from the silver screen.

                But then I didn't grow up without my comic books nor graphic novels.

                =Dan

              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                  "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> wrote:

                  > I just read
                  > http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                  > That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                  > appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                  > Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.
                  >
                  > I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                  > http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                  > I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                  > the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!)...

                  Hello, Jeff, my compliments.

                  Thanks for the Web link and your compliments about Dave's Web page.
                  I've added the IBM link to "my" PDP-8 Web page. In due course I'll add
                  your plotter comments here as a description there, with your
                  permission. Thanks!

                  > I have the IBM manuals for the plotter.

                  You might compare them to the Calcomp manuals which Dave links to on
                  his site.

                  > I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about
                  > 100 feet) but
                  > most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                  Preprinting is no big deal; one could reverse the roll. I'd like a few
                  rolls for my plotter; I presume MARCH would like a few. I'd be glad to
                  pay shipping for some rolls and pass a few along to MARCH. I'll
                  contact you privately to discuss terms.

                  > When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                  > all the pieces

                  Greatly appreciated, I'll add them to the page, you can send them to
                  me. Let me know if there are any photos I need to take of *my*
                  plotter. Presuming Evan permits me to restore the MARCH/Kagan plotter,
                  I'll photograph it while in process.

                  Hmmm...this bit of work may evolve into a permanent Calcomp plotter
                  Web page on my (retrotechnology.com) Web site. Ultimately I presume
                  MARCH will have their own PDP-8 Web page with other bits like the
                  plotter, TTY, any papertape reader MARCH comes up with).

                  Herb Johnson
                  old plotter
                  retrotechnology.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                    Today was the first day our '8 was on public display at the museum. We had
                    a typical amount of visitors today (around a dozen), most of whom seemed
                    very into computers (sometimes they're not). Everyone today had that 'wow'
                    expression when they saw the minicomputer. :)

                    NJARC's Harry Klancer was particularly happy to see it in our museum,
                    because he used to work on the same model. I suggested to him that he sign
                    on to our list here...

                    Tuesday night, I'm meeting the plastics guy (see thread below). Going to
                    bring him the intact side of the '8 cover so he can take measurements and
                    assess whether it's feasible to make two replicas at a decent price for us.
                    (Dont worry, I am NOT leaving the original cover with him.)

                    I had to bring the cover home today in the passenger seat because it doesn't
                    fit in my trunk!