Re: plotter from Kagan

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 27 , May 3, 2008
      "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

      > > There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
      > > drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.
      >
      > Here's my version of a zoom and enhance for group view:
      > http://www.panix.com/~allain/BendiX.jpg
      >
      > > But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
      > > think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.
      >
      > Yes, Didn't David even bring one of those Calcomps to the VCFe?
      >
      > John A.

      David's Web page is now linked on my PDP-8 Web page, and he has
      pictures of his PDP-8/I exhibit.

      John, about your "zoom and enhance". Here's an idea, others can
      participate. The '8 Web page has photos of the modules on either side
      of the PDP-8. Why not "zoom" in and make a text table of the modules
      by name? Someone will have to do that eventually to inventory the
      modules, see that they are in their proper places, and see if any are
      missing or needed. A table of "original" positions, before any work is
      done, will be a useful reference.

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

      Just give me time to add higher-resolution images to that page.

      I've done this for the 11/20, on its Web page.

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

      herb johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 27 , May 3, 2008
        It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

        Message 3 of 27 , May 3, 2008
          Evan wrote:
          > It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

          LOL! And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :) Lots
          of funny parts...

          Cheers,

          Bryan

        • mejeep_ferret
          Message 4 of 27 , May 3, 2008
            I just read
            http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
            That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
            appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
            Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.

            I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
            http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
            I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
            the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!) I wrote FORTRAN
            programs to generate Bode plots on the semilog paper, pausing to
            change pen color for phase and magnitude.

            They're actually made by Calcomp (and the 1130's paper tape reader was
            actually made by Tally).

            The interface is /really dumb/: just wires for
            +X one step (1/100 inch)
            -X one step
            +Y one step
            -Y one step
            pen up
            pen down

            I have the IBM manuals for the plotter. It's an amazing amount of
            transistorized circuitry for just advancing the stepper motors without
            anything fancy such as slewing them motors.

            I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about 100 feet) but
            most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

            Yes, the takeup spool was just a spare cardboard tube from the paper
            roll. The drum was large enough to tape a letter sized paper on it
            (preferably with drafting tape so it removes completely without residue).

            When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
            all the pieces
            - the solenoid used for all pen types
            - the sleeve and low top for the small ballpoint pens
            - the sleeve and high top for the pressurized ballpoint pens
            - the tip, barrel, collar, ink reservoir and hollow top for the
            drafting pens
            - the small glass alignment reticle with crosshairs for aligning the
            carriage using the holder one inch above the pen (the program had to
            move back one inch since it's not reasonable for the operator to count
            100 single steps). (the Bendix carriage does not have that).
            - the large glass alignment reticle with crosshairs that goes into the
            pen holder for aligning where the pen goes.

            The hollow top for the drafting pen also allowed felt tip pens that
            were fitted with a metal ring.

            -- Jeff Jonas
            Message 5 of 27 , May 3, 2008
              It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

              http://vintagecomputer.net

              bd
              Message 6 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                I borrowed that first issue from Erik K. @ VCF last fall. Had it
                autographed by Lee Felsenstein. :)

                It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                http://vintagecomputer.net

                bd

              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 27 , May 4, 2008

                  Bryan Pope wrote:
                  Evan wrote:

                  It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                  LOL!  And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :)  Lots
                  of funny parts...

                  I   AM    I-I-I-R-R-O-O-N-N-M-M-A-A-N-N

                  Definitely worth absorbing the ambiance from the silver screen.

                  But then I didn't grow up without my comic books nor graphic novels.

                  =Dan

                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                    "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> wrote:

                    > I just read
                    > http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                    > That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                    > appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                    > Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.
                    >
                    > I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                    > http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                    > I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                    > the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!)...

                    Hello, Jeff, my compliments.

                    Thanks for the Web link and your compliments about Dave's Web page.
                    I've added the IBM link to "my" PDP-8 Web page. In due course I'll add
                    your plotter comments here as a description there, with your
                    permission. Thanks!

                    > I have the IBM manuals for the plotter.

                    You might compare them to the Calcomp manuals which Dave links to on
                    his site.

                    > I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about
                    > 100 feet) but
                    > most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                    Preprinting is no big deal; one could reverse the roll. I'd like a few
                    rolls for my plotter; I presume MARCH would like a few. I'd be glad to
                    pay shipping for some rolls and pass a few along to MARCH. I'll
                    contact you privately to discuss terms.

                    > When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                    > all the pieces

                    Greatly appreciated, I'll add them to the page, you can send them to
                    me. Let me know if there are any photos I need to take of *my*
                    plotter. Presuming Evan permits me to restore the MARCH/Kagan plotter,
                    I'll photograph it while in process.

                    Hmmm...this bit of work may evolve into a permanent Calcomp plotter
                    Web page on my (retrotechnology.com) Web site. Ultimately I presume
                    MARCH will have their own PDP-8 Web page with other bits like the
                    plotter, TTY, any papertape reader MARCH comes up with).

                    Herb Johnson
                    old plotter
                    retrotechnology.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                      Today was the first day our '8 was on public display at the museum. We had
                      a typical amount of visitors today (around a dozen), most of whom seemed
                      very into computers (sometimes they're not). Everyone today had that 'wow'
                      expression when they saw the minicomputer. :)

                      NJARC's Harry Klancer was particularly happy to see it in our museum,
                      because he used to work on the same model. I suggested to him that he sign
                      on to our list here...

                      Tuesday night, I'm meeting the plastics guy (see thread below). Going to
                      bring him the intact side of the '8 cover so he can take measurements and
                      assess whether it's feasible to make two replicas at a decent price for us.
                      (Dont worry, I am NOT leaving the original cover with him.)

                      I had to bring the cover home today in the passenger seat because it doesn't
                      fit in my trunk!