Re: plotter from Kagan

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 27 , May 3, 2008
      David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote at length about the MARCH/Kagan
      Calcomp plotter and about mine, based on the pictures I've posted of
      both on my PDP-8 Web page. I've responded privately and he and I will
      discuss details. Any results of note will be on my PDP-8 page or
      posted here.

      Addtional photos on my PDP-8 Web page now include a picture of the pen
      mechanism, taken from the Calcomp manual available via David's
      excellent PDP-8 and Calcomp plotter Web pages. Thank you to David.
      David's site is linked from my Web page.

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

      In due course, I expect MARCH to create their own Web page, on the
      MARCH Web site, about the RESISTORS/Kagan PDP-8 and related devices.
      There is considerable history about this donation which MARCH should
      explore with Claude and put on a MARCH-generated Web page and into
      documents associated with MARCH's PDP-8 display. I just got things
      started, as did Bill with his photos, and Evan by setting up the '8
      for display; and as other MARCH friends and members contributed their
      efforts. (Those contributions are better noted on a MARCH Web page
      than on mine.)

      I'm busy enough, working on a PDP-11/20 display for MARCH.

      Otherwise, as I've posted, I'm willing to work on the Calcomp plotter
      because I have what is likely to be a duplicate, working unit. And I
      need parts for mine as well!

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 27 , May 3, 2008
        "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

        > > There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
        > > drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.
        >
        > Here's my version of a zoom and enhance for group view:
        > http://www.panix.com/~allain/BendiX.jpg
        >
        > > But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
        > > think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.
        >
        > Yes, Didn't David even bring one of those Calcomps to the VCFe?
        >
        > John A.

        David's Web page is now linked on my PDP-8 Web page, and he has
        pictures of his PDP-8/I exhibit.

        John, about your "zoom and enhance". Here's an idea, others can
        participate. The '8 Web page has photos of the modules on either side
        of the PDP-8. Why not "zoom" in and make a text table of the modules
        by name? Someone will have to do that eventually to inventory the
        modules, see that they are in their proper places, and see if any are
        missing or needed. A table of "original" positions, before any work is
        done, will be a useful reference.

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

        Just give me time to add higher-resolution images to that page.

        I've done this for the 11/20, on its Web page.

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

        herb johnson
        retrotechnology.com
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 27 , May 3, 2008
          It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

          Message 4 of 27 , May 3, 2008
            Evan wrote:
            > It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

            LOL! And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :) Lots
            of funny parts...

            Cheers,

            Bryan

          • mejeep_ferret
            Message 5 of 27 , May 3, 2008
              I just read
              http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
              That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
              appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
              Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.

              I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
              http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
              I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
              the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!) I wrote FORTRAN
              programs to generate Bode plots on the semilog paper, pausing to
              change pen color for phase and magnitude.

              They're actually made by Calcomp (and the 1130's paper tape reader was
              actually made by Tally).

              The interface is /really dumb/: just wires for
              +X one step (1/100 inch)
              -X one step
              +Y one step
              -Y one step
              pen up
              pen down

              I have the IBM manuals for the plotter. It's an amazing amount of
              transistorized circuitry for just advancing the stepper motors without
              anything fancy such as slewing them motors.

              I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about 100 feet) but
              most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

              Yes, the takeup spool was just a spare cardboard tube from the paper
              roll. The drum was large enough to tape a letter sized paper on it
              (preferably with drafting tape so it removes completely without residue).

              When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
              all the pieces
              - the solenoid used for all pen types
              - the sleeve and low top for the small ballpoint pens
              - the sleeve and high top for the pressurized ballpoint pens
              - the tip, barrel, collar, ink reservoir and hollow top for the
              drafting pens
              - the small glass alignment reticle with crosshairs for aligning the
              carriage using the holder one inch above the pen (the program had to
              move back one inch since it's not reasonable for the operator to count
              100 single steps). (the Bendix carriage does not have that).
              - the large glass alignment reticle with crosshairs that goes into the
              pen holder for aligning where the pen goes.

              The hollow top for the drafting pen also allowed felt tip pens that
              were fitted with a metal ring.

              -- Jeff Jonas
              Message 6 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                http://vintagecomputer.net

                bd
                Message 7 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                  I borrowed that first issue from Erik K. @ VCF last fall. Had it
                  autographed by Lee Felsenstein. :)

                  It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                  http://vintagecomputer.net

                  bd

                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 4, 2008

                    Bryan Pope wrote:
                    Evan wrote:

                    It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                    LOL!  And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :)  Lots
                    of funny parts...

                    I   AM    I-I-I-R-R-O-O-N-N-M-M-A-A-N-N

                    Definitely worth absorbing the ambiance from the silver screen.

                    But then I didn't grow up without my comic books nor graphic novels.

                    =Dan

                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                      "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> wrote:

                      > I just read
                      > http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                      > That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                      > appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                      > Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.
                      >
                      > I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                      > http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                      > I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                      > the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!)...

                      Hello, Jeff, my compliments.

                      Thanks for the Web link and your compliments about Dave's Web page.
                      I've added the IBM link to "my" PDP-8 Web page. In due course I'll add
                      your plotter comments here as a description there, with your
                      permission. Thanks!

                      > I have the IBM manuals for the plotter.

                      You might compare them to the Calcomp manuals which Dave links to on
                      his site.

                      > I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about
                      > 100 feet) but
                      > most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                      Preprinting is no big deal; one could reverse the roll. I'd like a few
                      rolls for my plotter; I presume MARCH would like a few. I'd be glad to
                      pay shipping for some rolls and pass a few along to MARCH. I'll
                      contact you privately to discuss terms.

                      > When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                      > all the pieces

                      Greatly appreciated, I'll add them to the page, you can send them to
                      me. Let me know if there are any photos I need to take of *my*
                      plotter. Presuming Evan permits me to restore the MARCH/Kagan plotter,
                      I'll photograph it while in process.

                      Hmmm...this bit of work may evolve into a permanent Calcomp plotter
                      Web page on my (retrotechnology.com) Web site. Ultimately I presume
                      MARCH will have their own PDP-8 Web page with other bits like the
                      plotter, TTY, any papertape reader MARCH comes up with).

                      Herb Johnson
                      old plotter
                      retrotechnology.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                        Today was the first day our '8 was on public display at the museum. We had
                        a typical amount of visitors today (around a dozen), most of whom seemed
                        very into computers (sometimes they're not). Everyone today had that 'wow'
                        expression when they saw the minicomputer. :)

                        NJARC's Harry Klancer was particularly happy to see it in our museum,
                        because he used to work on the same model. I suggested to him that he sign
                        on to our list here...

                        Tuesday night, I'm meeting the plastics guy (see thread below). Going to
                        bring him the intact side of the '8 cover so he can take measurements and
                        assess whether it's feasible to make two replicas at a decent price for us.
                        (Dont worry, I am NOT leaving the original cover with him.)

                        I had to bring the cover home today in the passenger seat because it doesn't
                        fit in my trunk!