OT: Harold & Kumar (was: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: plotter from Kagan)

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2008
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Will do (or at least will try to remember -- someone please send me an
      > email Saturday in the early afternoon).
      >
      > Tonight I'm going to see "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay".
      > I'm told that it picks up in the evening, as they are back in their
      > Hoboken apartment digesting the White Castle burgers.

      you are correcto-mondo sir.. It picks up a couple of hours after the
      last movie as our intrepid heroes try to follow the beautiful Maria to
      Amsterdam.. Neil Patrick Harris will be making another appearance.. :)

      Cheers,

      Bryan

      P.S. Have a joy joy day!
    • John Allain
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2, 2008
        > There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
        > drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.

        Here's my version of a zoom and enhance for group view:
        http://www.panix.com/~allain/BendiX.jpg

        > But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
        > think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.

        Yes, Didn't David even bring one of those Calcomps to the VCFe?

        John A.
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 27 , May 3, 2008
          David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote at length about the MARCH/Kagan
          Calcomp plotter and about mine, based on the pictures I've posted of
          both on my PDP-8 Web page. I've responded privately and he and I will
          discuss details. Any results of note will be on my PDP-8 page or
          posted here.

          Addtional photos on my PDP-8 Web page now include a picture of the pen
          mechanism, taken from the Calcomp manual available via David's
          excellent PDP-8 and Calcomp plotter Web pages. Thank you to David.
          David's site is linked from my Web page.

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

          In due course, I expect MARCH to create their own Web page, on the
          MARCH Web site, about the RESISTORS/Kagan PDP-8 and related devices.
          There is considerable history about this donation which MARCH should
          explore with Claude and put on a MARCH-generated Web page and into
          documents associated with MARCH's PDP-8 display. I just got things
          started, as did Bill with his photos, and Evan by setting up the '8
          for display; and as other MARCH friends and members contributed their
          efforts. (Those contributions are better noted on a MARCH Web page
          than on mine.)

          I'm busy enough, working on a PDP-11/20 display for MARCH.

          Otherwise, as I've posted, I'm willing to work on the Calcomp plotter
          because I have what is likely to be a duplicate, working unit. And I
          need parts for mine as well!

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 27 , May 3, 2008
            "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

            > > There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
            > > drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.
            >
            > Here's my version of a zoom and enhance for group view:
            > http://www.panix.com/~allain/BendiX.jpg
            >
            > > But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
            > > think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.
            >
            > Yes, Didn't David even bring one of those Calcomps to the VCFe?
            >
            > John A.

            David's Web page is now linked on my PDP-8 Web page, and he has
            pictures of his PDP-8/I exhibit.

            John, about your "zoom and enhance". Here's an idea, others can
            participate. The '8 Web page has photos of the modules on either side
            of the PDP-8. Why not "zoom" in and make a text table of the modules
            by name? Someone will have to do that eventually to inventory the
            modules, see that they are in their proper places, and see if any are
            missing or needed. A table of "original" positions, before any work is
            done, will be a useful reference.

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

            Just give me time to add higher-resolution images to that page.

            I've done this for the 11/20, on its Web page.

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

            herb johnson
            retrotechnology.com
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 27 , May 3, 2008
              It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

              Subj: OT: Harold & Kumar (was: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: plotter from Kagan)
              Date: Fri May 2, 2008 4:45 pm
              Size: 1K
              To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                Evan wrote:
                > It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                LOL! And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :) Lots
                of funny parts...

                Cheers,

                Bryan

              • mejeep_ferret
                Message 7 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                  I just read
                  http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                  That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                  appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                  Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.

                  I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                  http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                  I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                  the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!) I wrote FORTRAN
                  programs to generate Bode plots on the semilog paper, pausing to
                  change pen color for phase and magnitude.

                  They're actually made by Calcomp (and the 1130's paper tape reader was
                  actually made by Tally).

                  The interface is /really dumb/: just wires for
                  +X one step (1/100 inch)
                  -X one step
                  +Y one step
                  -Y one step
                  pen up
                  pen down

                  I have the IBM manuals for the plotter. It's an amazing amount of
                  transistorized circuitry for just advancing the stepper motors without
                  anything fancy such as slewing them motors.

                  I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about 100 feet) but
                  most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                  Yes, the takeup spool was just a spare cardboard tube from the paper
                  roll. The drum was large enough to tape a letter sized paper on it
                  (preferably with drafting tape so it removes completely without residue).

                  When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                  all the pieces
                  - the solenoid used for all pen types
                  - the sleeve and low top for the small ballpoint pens
                  - the sleeve and high top for the pressurized ballpoint pens
                  - the tip, barrel, collar, ink reservoir and hollow top for the
                  drafting pens
                  - the small glass alignment reticle with crosshairs for aligning the
                  carriage using the holder one inch above the pen (the program had to
                  move back one inch since it's not reasonable for the operator to count
                  100 single steps). (the Bendix carriage does not have that).
                  - the large glass alignment reticle with crosshairs that goes into the
                  pen holder for aligning where the pen goes.

                  The hollow top for the drafting pen also allowed felt tip pens that
                  were fitted with a metal ring.

                  -- Jeff Jonas
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                    It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                    http://vintagecomputer.net

                    bd
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                      I borrowed that first issue from Erik K. @ VCF last fall. Had it
                      autographed by Lee Felsenstein. :)

                      It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                      http://vintagecomputer.net

                      bd

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 4, 2008

                        Bryan Pope wrote:
                        Evan wrote:

                        It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                        LOL!  And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :)  Lots
                        of funny parts...

                        I   AM    I-I-I-R-R-O-O-N-N-M-M-A-A-N-N

                        Definitely worth absorbing the ambiance from the silver screen.

                        But then I didn't grow up without my comic books nor graphic novels.

                        =Dan

                      • Herb Johnson
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                          "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> wrote:

                          > I just read
                          > http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                          > That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                          > appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                          > Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.
                          >
                          > I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                          > http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                          > I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                          > the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!)...

                          Hello, Jeff, my compliments.

                          Thanks for the Web link and your compliments about Dave's Web page.
                          I've added the IBM link to "my" PDP-8 Web page. In due course I'll add
                          your plotter comments here as a description there, with your
                          permission. Thanks!

                          > I have the IBM manuals for the plotter.

                          You might compare them to the Calcomp manuals which Dave links to on
                          his site.

                          > I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about
                          > 100 feet) but
                          > most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                          Preprinting is no big deal; one could reverse the roll. I'd like a few
                          rolls for my plotter; I presume MARCH would like a few. I'd be glad to
                          pay shipping for some rolls and pass a few along to MARCH. I'll
                          contact you privately to discuss terms.

                          > When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                          > all the pieces

                          Greatly appreciated, I'll add them to the page, you can send them to
                          me. Let me know if there are any photos I need to take of *my*
                          plotter. Presuming Evan permits me to restore the MARCH/Kagan plotter,
                          I'll photograph it while in process.

                          Hmmm...this bit of work may evolve into a permanent Calcomp plotter
                          Web page on my (retrotechnology.com) Web site. Ultimately I presume
                          MARCH will have their own PDP-8 Web page with other bits like the
                          plotter, TTY, any papertape reader MARCH comes up with).

                          Herb Johnson
                          old plotter
                          retrotechnology.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                            Today was the first day our '8 was on public display at the museum. We had
                            a typical amount of visitors today (around a dozen), most of whom seemed
                            very into computers (sometimes they're not). Everyone today had that 'wow'
                            expression when they saw the minicomputer. :)

                            NJARC's Harry Klancer was particularly happy to see it in our museum,
                            because he used to work on the same model. I suggested to him that he sign
                            on to our list here...

                            Tuesday night, I'm meeting the plastics guy (see thread below). Going to
                            bring him the intact side of the '8 cover so he can take measurements and
                            assess whether it's feasible to make two replicas at a decent price for us.
                            (Dont worry, I am NOT leaving the original cover with him.)

                            I had to bring the cover home today in the passenger seat because it doesn't
                            fit in my trunk!