Re: plotter from Kagan

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2008
      > --- David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:
      >
      > > > I have better pics on my web site, but I did not see a name plate.
      > > It's
      > > > either on the underside or there is none.
      > > >
      > > You can just about read the name plate in this picture. Its the black
      > > plate
      > > in the center back above the paper.
      > > http://vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/digital_pdp8-era_plotter.JPG
      > >
      >Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote:
      >
      > If this were a high-tech movie, we could just zoom in on
      > that label, then hit a button called "enhance" and the
      > label would appear clearly on the screen. Too bad it
      > doesn't really work that way...

      Correction to my recent post. There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
      drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.
      Sorry, can't create pixels from thin air. Bendix was a manufacturer of
      the era. But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
      think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.

      So Evan, please report on the Bendix nameplate and whatever Calcomp
      nameplate is likely underneath the plotter. Thanks!

      The PDP-8 page now has some discussion of the plotter. Claude will
      have to be asked about how it came to be part of the 8.

      Additionally, I have no good photos of the "Kagan/RESISTORS" Teletype.
      Evan or whoever, can you photograph the cleaned-up Teletype and
      provide the photo? Contact me c/o retrotechnology.com, check the site
      for an address.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2, 2008
        nameplate is likely underneath the plotter ... photograph the
        cleaned-up Teletype and

        Will do (or at least will try to remember -- someone please send me an
        email Saturday in the early afternoon).

        Tonight I'm going to see "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay".
        I'm told that it picks up in the evening, as they are back in their
        Hoboken apartment digesting the White Castle burgers.
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2, 2008
          > Also see if the connector on the back
          > looks like the connector (or connector fitting) on the photo of mine.

          They are the same as yours and mine. Looks like your power plug is
          broken. It is still a production part. If you need me to dig up where I
          bought one let me know. The data plug seems to be long out of production.
          I saw a part broker had one at much more than I wanted to pay. I made a
          cable with some leftover pins for mil round connectors and some hot melt.

          The MARCH plotter has a cable coming out from the guts, possible through
          where the fuse holder should be. Looks like they couldn't get a mate either.

          > I don't know the operational status of the Kagan/MARCH plotter.

          Nobody does. It looks like it was operation when last used in the mid 70's
          I didn't look inside enough to see if something significant was obvious.

          > I do not have the removable pen mech at
          > all

          That will be a little tricky to make a replacement for. The pen holder is
          a solenoid. It is powered by the two wires that move the pen left and
          right. The pen is in a metal part which is the solenoid core which the
          outer coil moves up and down for pen up and down.

          - that's why I took a number of photos of the Kagan plotter's pen
          > mech. I anticipated either obtaining one for me, or building one. I am
          > not sure the MARCH/Kagan pen mech is complete - David, please comment.

          In the previous list email I said its missing the interior metal core and the
          top. I will try to take some more pictures this weekend and add them
          to my Calcomp page.
        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2, 2008
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > Will do (or at least will try to remember -- someone please send me an
            > email Saturday in the early afternoon).
            >
            > Tonight I'm going to see "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay".
            > I'm told that it picks up in the evening, as they are back in their
            > Hoboken apartment digesting the White Castle burgers.

            you are correcto-mondo sir.. It picks up a couple of hours after the
            last movie as our intrepid heroes try to follow the beautiful Maria to
            Amsterdam.. Neil Patrick Harris will be making another appearance.. :)

            Cheers,

            Bryan

            P.S. Have a joy joy day!
          • John Allain
            Message 5 of 27 , May 2, 2008
              > There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
              > drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.

              Here's my version of a zoom and enhance for group view:
              http://www.panix.com/~allain/BendiX.jpg

              > But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
              > think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.

              Yes, Didn't David even bring one of those Calcomps to the VCFe?

              John A.
            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote at length about the MARCH/Kagan
                Calcomp plotter and about mine, based on the pictures I've posted of
                both on my PDP-8 Web page. I've responded privately and he and I will
                discuss details. Any results of note will be on my PDP-8 page or
                posted here.

                Addtional photos on my PDP-8 Web page now include a picture of the pen
                mechanism, taken from the Calcomp manual available via David's
                excellent PDP-8 and Calcomp plotter Web pages. Thank you to David.
                David's site is linked from my Web page.

                http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

                In due course, I expect MARCH to create their own Web page, on the
                MARCH Web site, about the RESISTORS/Kagan PDP-8 and related devices.
                There is considerable history about this donation which MARCH should
                explore with Claude and put on a MARCH-generated Web page and into
                documents associated with MARCH's PDP-8 display. I just got things
                started, as did Bill with his photos, and Evan by setting up the '8
                for display; and as other MARCH friends and members contributed their
                efforts. (Those contributions are better noted on a MARCH Web page
                than on mine.)

                I'm busy enough, working on a PDP-11/20 display for MARCH.

                Otherwise, as I've posted, I'm willing to work on the Calcomp plotter
                because I have what is likely to be a duplicate, working unit. And I
                need parts for mine as well!

                Herb Johnson
                retrotechnology.com
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                  "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

                  > > There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
                  > > drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.
                  >
                  > Here's my version of a zoom and enhance for group view:
                  > http://www.panix.com/~allain/BendiX.jpg
                  >
                  > > But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
                  > > think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.
                  >
                  > Yes, Didn't David even bring one of those Calcomps to the VCFe?
                  >
                  > John A.

                  David's Web page is now linked on my PDP-8 Web page, and he has
                  pictures of his PDP-8/I exhibit.

                  John, about your "zoom and enhance". Here's an idea, others can
                  participate. The '8 Web page has photos of the modules on either side
                  of the PDP-8. Why not "zoom" in and make a text table of the modules
                  by name? Someone will have to do that eventually to inventory the
                  modules, see that they are in their proper places, and see if any are
                  missing or needed. A table of "original" positions, before any work is
                  done, will be a useful reference.

                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

                  Just give me time to add higher-resolution images to that page.

                  I've done this for the 11/20, on its Web page.

                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                  herb johnson
                  retrotechnology.com
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                    It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                    Subj: OT: Harold & Kumar (was: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: plotter from Kagan)
                    Date: Fri May 2, 2008 4:45 pm
                    Size: 1K
                    To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                      Evan wrote:
                      > It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                      LOL! And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :) Lots
                      of funny parts...

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan

                    • mejeep_ferret
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                        I just read
                        http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                        That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                        appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                        Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.

                        I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                        http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                        I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                        the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!) I wrote FORTRAN
                        programs to generate Bode plots on the semilog paper, pausing to
                        change pen color for phase and magnitude.

                        They're actually made by Calcomp (and the 1130's paper tape reader was
                        actually made by Tally).

                        The interface is /really dumb/: just wires for
                        +X one step (1/100 inch)
                        -X one step
                        +Y one step
                        -Y one step
                        pen up
                        pen down

                        I have the IBM manuals for the plotter. It's an amazing amount of
                        transistorized circuitry for just advancing the stepper motors without
                        anything fancy such as slewing them motors.

                        I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about 100 feet) but
                        most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                        Yes, the takeup spool was just a spare cardboard tube from the paper
                        roll. The drum was large enough to tape a letter sized paper on it
                        (preferably with drafting tape so it removes completely without residue).

                        When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                        all the pieces
                        - the solenoid used for all pen types
                        - the sleeve and low top for the small ballpoint pens
                        - the sleeve and high top for the pressurized ballpoint pens
                        - the tip, barrel, collar, ink reservoir and hollow top for the
                        drafting pens
                        - the small glass alignment reticle with crosshairs for aligning the
                        carriage using the holder one inch above the pen (the program had to
                        move back one inch since it's not reasonable for the operator to count
                        100 single steps). (the Bendix carriage does not have that).
                        - the large glass alignment reticle with crosshairs that goes into the
                        pen holder for aligning where the pen goes.

                        The hollow top for the drafting pen also allowed felt tip pens that
                        were fitted with a metal ring.

                        -- Jeff Jonas
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                          It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                          http://vintagecomputer.net

                          bd
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                            I borrowed that first issue from Erik K. @ VCF last fall. Had it
                            autographed by Lee Felsenstein. :)

                            It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                            http://vintagecomputer.net

                            bd

                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 4, 2008

                              Bryan Pope wrote:
                              Evan wrote:

                              It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                              LOL!  And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :)  Lots
                              of funny parts...

                              I   AM    I-I-I-R-R-O-O-N-N-M-M-A-A-N-N

                              Definitely worth absorbing the ambiance from the silver screen.

                              But then I didn't grow up without my comic books nor graphic novels.

                              =Dan

                            • Herb Johnson
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                                "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> wrote:

                                > I just read
                                > http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                                > That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                                > appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                                > Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.
                                >
                                > I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                                > http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                                > I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                                > the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!)...

                                Hello, Jeff, my compliments.

                                Thanks for the Web link and your compliments about Dave's Web page.
                                I've added the IBM link to "my" PDP-8 Web page. In due course I'll add
                                your plotter comments here as a description there, with your
                                permission. Thanks!

                                > I have the IBM manuals for the plotter.

                                You might compare them to the Calcomp manuals which Dave links to on
                                his site.

                                > I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about
                                > 100 feet) but
                                > most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                                Preprinting is no big deal; one could reverse the roll. I'd like a few
                                rolls for my plotter; I presume MARCH would like a few. I'd be glad to
                                pay shipping for some rolls and pass a few along to MARCH. I'll
                                contact you privately to discuss terms.

                                > When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                                > all the pieces

                                Greatly appreciated, I'll add them to the page, you can send them to
                                me. Let me know if there are any photos I need to take of *my*
                                plotter. Presuming Evan permits me to restore the MARCH/Kagan plotter,
                                I'll photograph it while in process.

                                Hmmm...this bit of work may evolve into a permanent Calcomp plotter
                                Web page on my (retrotechnology.com) Web site. Ultimately I presume
                                MARCH will have their own PDP-8 Web page with other bits like the
                                plotter, TTY, any papertape reader MARCH comes up with).

                                Herb Johnson
                                old plotter
                                retrotechnology.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                                  Today was the first day our '8 was on public display at the museum. We had
                                  a typical amount of visitors today (around a dozen), most of whom seemed
                                  very into computers (sometimes they're not). Everyone today had that 'wow'
                                  expression when they saw the minicomputer. :)

                                  NJARC's Harry Klancer was particularly happy to see it in our museum,
                                  because he used to work on the same model. I suggested to him that he sign
                                  on to our list here...

                                  Tuesday night, I'm meeting the plastics guy (see thread below). Going to
                                  bring him the intact side of the '8 cover so he can take measurements and
                                  assess whether it's feasible to make two replicas at a decent price for us.
                                  (Dont worry, I am NOT leaving the original cover with him.)

                                  I had to bring the cover home today in the passenger seat because it doesn't
                                  fit in my trunk!