RE: [midatlanticretro] regarding Ebay and vintage computers

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
      Bill:

      Interesting proposition. First order of business is to buy
      liability insurance :-)

      This sort of thing already exists in the form of "escrow sales"
      on eBay. Unfortunately, since there's a fee for using it, many people
      don't. I just buught an Altair for $650 from "fdbruce". I didn't use an
      escrow because (1) it's a pain, (2) it takes longer to get my item and
      (3) I knew the seller through his eBay history. The escrow agent is
      responsible for determining that what was listed was in fact the item
      and is in the condition as specified. If those conditions are met,
      escrow is broken and the money and item are exchanged.

      While writing this response I saw the note from Evan. I agree.
      This is a wider problem that should be also be addressed with the
      ClassicCmp list. This could itself turn into a business requiring the
      full-time commitment of a few individuals. You'd have to convince eBay
      to advertise our verification services, offer our credentials, and let
      them endorse it.

      Classic marketing...define and advertise the problem and offer a
      solution for a fee (natch). Build a business plan! Call the Venture
      Capitalists! The ticker symbol should be "MRCH"!

      Rich
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005

        LOL, well that's more than I had in mind... actually I've been pondering the idea of some kind of hobby association for a while, but for now it seemed like an idea to keep on the shelf and refine.  I also hadn't thought of the certification idea until Bill's email.