Re: [midatlanticretro] plotter from Kagan

  • Bob Grieb
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2 5:52 AM
      If this were a high-tech movie, we could just zoom in on
      that label, then hit a button called "enhance" and the
      label would appear clearly on the screen. Too bad it
      doesn't really work that way...

      --- David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

      > > I have better pics on my web site, but I did not see a name plate.
      > It's
      > > either on the underside or there is none.
      > >
      > You can just about read the name plate in this picture. Its the black
      > plate
      > in the center back above the paper.
      > http://vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/digital_pdp8-era_plotter.JPG

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2 6:04 AM
        SCI-FI MADNESS AT IFC CENTER - Our mini- retrospective of classic science fiction films wraps up with a special screening of the groundbreaking TRON (1982) this weekend at the IFC Center, shown in 35mm!

        TRON
        USA, Steven Lisberger, 1982, 96 min
        In English. Recommended ages 8 to adult (rated PG)
        IFC Center - Sat & Sun, May 3 & 4 - 11:00am - Get your tickets now!

        In the cult-classic TRON, world-class hacker and video gamer Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) goes inside a computer to challenge the nefarious Master Computer Program and finds himself in a nerd Nirvana where computer-program-people do battle with Frisbees, race video game motorcycles, and have names like RAM and CPU. This seminal CGI flick (it was the inspiration for Pixar's founders to go it alone) combines live action and very early computer graphics for a retro-modern-psychedelic visual style that is way cool and has made the film a cult phenomenon. "A technological sound-and-light show that is sensational and brainy, stylish and fun." - Roger Ebert

        Sat May 3
        http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=9598&rdate=5%2F3%2F2008

        Sun May 4
        http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=9598&rdate=5%2F4%2F2008

      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2 8:17 AM
          "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

          > Down here at InfoAge for the weekly meeting. Had some time to kill,
          so I built a makeshift PDP-8 exhibit. :)

          It looks good in the display room. I suggest you don't open up the
          cage very often; those cables are 40 years old, don't flex them. A
          good photo of the interior, posted nearby, would be sufficient for the
          "makeshift exhibit".

          I also suggest you use the content on the PDP-8 Web page I just
          created, to make a one-page description, with Web links, which can be
          color-printed and posted nearby. Please, please, please - provide
          visitors with some information about this computer and who used it and
          what they did. Again, my brief TCF experience was that even
          experienced modern computerists just saw it as old, junk - irrelevant.
          Tell our visitors why it is NOT.

          Case in point. An engineering friend of mine looked at the Web page I
          created and called the '8 a "resistor computer. I did not know they
          made computers out of resistors." I'll fix that shortly. I'd welcome
          any other comments about the page. Again, it's not my intention to
          create "the" MARCH PDP-8 Web page. Not my job. But like Evan, I'm just
          trying to get this machine into display and exhibit as soon as possible.

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2 10:09 AM
            David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

            > > I have better pics on my web site, but I did not see a name plate.
            It's
            > > either on the underside or there is none.
            > >
            > You can just about read the name plate in this picture. Its the
            black plate
            > in the center back above the paper.
            > http://vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/digital_pdp8-era_plotter.JPG

            Tht black strip is probably a Dymo lable.

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

            I will shortly update the PDP-8 Web page I've created to include
            photos of the "Kagan" Calcomp plotter; photos of my *own* Calcomp 565
            plotter which I recently acquired; and links as posted here by David
            Gesswein to his site of his longer-version Calcomp plotter and his
            PDP-8/I exhibit at TCF-EAST last here (presuming his permission to do so).

            The nameplate on my plotter is underneath. Evan, can you look under
            the "Kagan" plotter this weekend and post the name and the model
            number you'll likely see there? Also see if the connector on the back
            looks like the connector (or connector fitting) on the photo of mine.
            I don't know the operational status of the Kagan/MARCH plotter.

            My Calcomp plotter "works" to the extent that the manual controls
            produce appropriate movement. I do not have the removable pen mech at
            all - that's why I took a number of photos of the Kagan plotter's pen
            mech. I anticipated either obtaining one for me, or building one. I am
            not sure the MARCH/Kagan pen mech is complete - David, please comment.

            I volunteer to review and restore the MARCH/Kagan Calcomp plotter.
            This I can do, I have one myself, I need to fix mine, I see that David
            has the docs online and runs one also. But it may not happen this
            month (May).

            Herb Johnson
            We have the technology.
            retrotechnology.com
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 27 , May 2 10:19 AM
              > --- David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:
              >
              > > > I have better pics on my web site, but I did not see a name plate.
              > > It's
              > > > either on the underside or there is none.
              > > >
              > > You can just about read the name plate in this picture. Its the black
              > > plate
              > > in the center back above the paper.
              > > http://vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/digital_pdp8-era_plotter.JPG
              > >
              >Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote:
              >
              > If this were a high-tech movie, we could just zoom in on
              > that label, then hit a button called "enhance" and the
              > label would appear clearly on the screen. Too bad it
              > doesn't really work that way...

              Correction to my recent post. There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
              drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.
              Sorry, can't create pixels from thin air. Bendix was a manufacturer of
              the era. But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
              think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.

              So Evan, please report on the Bendix nameplate and whatever Calcomp
              nameplate is likely underneath the plotter. Thanks!

              The PDP-8 page now has some discussion of the plotter. Claude will
              have to be asked about how it came to be part of the 8.

              Additionally, I have no good photos of the "Kagan/RESISTORS" Teletype.
              Evan or whoever, can you photograph the cleaned-up Teletype and
              provide the photo? Contact me c/o retrotechnology.com, check the site
              for an address.

              Herb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com
              Message 6 of 27 , May 2 11:50 AM
                nameplate is likely underneath the plotter ... photograph the
                cleaned-up Teletype and

                Will do (or at least will try to remember -- someone please send me an
                email Saturday in the early afternoon).

                Tonight I'm going to see "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay".
                I'm told that it picks up in the evening, as they are back in their
                Hoboken apartment digesting the White Castle burgers.
              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 27 , May 2 12:17 PM
                  > Also see if the connector on the back
                  > looks like the connector (or connector fitting) on the photo of mine.

                  They are the same as yours and mine. Looks like your power plug is
                  broken. It is still a production part. If you need me to dig up where I
                  bought one let me know. The data plug seems to be long out of production.
                  I saw a part broker had one at much more than I wanted to pay. I made a
                  cable with some leftover pins for mil round connectors and some hot melt.

                  The MARCH plotter has a cable coming out from the guts, possible through
                  where the fuse holder should be. Looks like they couldn't get a mate either.

                  > I don't know the operational status of the Kagan/MARCH plotter.

                  Nobody does. It looks like it was operation when last used in the mid 70's
                  I didn't look inside enough to see if something significant was obvious.

                  > I do not have the removable pen mech at
                  > all

                  That will be a little tricky to make a replacement for. The pen holder is
                  a solenoid. It is powered by the two wires that move the pen left and
                  right. The pen is in a metal part which is the solenoid core which the
                  outer coil moves up and down for pen up and down.

                  - that's why I took a number of photos of the Kagan plotter's pen
                  > mech. I anticipated either obtaining one for me, or building one. I am
                  > not sure the MARCH/Kagan pen mech is complete - David, please comment.

                  In the previous list email I said its missing the interior metal core and the
                  top. I will try to take some more pictures this weekend and add them
                  to my Calcomp page.
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 2 1:44 PM
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    > Will do (or at least will try to remember -- someone please send me an
                    > email Saturday in the early afternoon).
                    >
                    > Tonight I'm going to see "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay".
                    > I'm told that it picks up in the evening, as they are back in their
                    > Hoboken apartment digesting the White Castle burgers.

                    you are correcto-mondo sir.. It picks up a couple of hours after the
                    last movie as our intrepid heroes try to follow the beautiful Maria to
                    Amsterdam.. Neil Patrick Harris will be making another appearance.. :)

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan

                    P.S. Have a joy joy day!
                  • John Allain
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 2 3:01 PM
                      > There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
                      > drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.

                      Here's my version of a zoom and enhance for group view:
                      http://www.panix.com/~allain/BendiX.jpg

                      > But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
                      > think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.

                      Yes, Didn't David even bring one of those Calcomps to the VCFe?

                      John A.
                    • Herb Johnson
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 3 8:33 AM
                        David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote at length about the MARCH/Kagan
                        Calcomp plotter and about mine, based on the pictures I've posted of
                        both on my PDP-8 Web page. I've responded privately and he and I will
                        discuss details. Any results of note will be on my PDP-8 page or
                        posted here.

                        Addtional photos on my PDP-8 Web page now include a picture of the pen
                        mechanism, taken from the Calcomp manual available via David's
                        excellent PDP-8 and Calcomp plotter Web pages. Thank you to David.
                        David's site is linked from my Web page.

                        http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

                        In due course, I expect MARCH to create their own Web page, on the
                        MARCH Web site, about the RESISTORS/Kagan PDP-8 and related devices.
                        There is considerable history about this donation which MARCH should
                        explore with Claude and put on a MARCH-generated Web page and into
                        documents associated with MARCH's PDP-8 display. I just got things
                        started, as did Bill with his photos, and Evan by setting up the '8
                        for display; and as other MARCH friends and members contributed their
                        efforts. (Those contributions are better noted on a MARCH Web page
                        than on mine.)

                        I'm busy enough, working on a PDP-11/20 display for MARCH.

                        Otherwise, as I've posted, I'm willing to work on the Calcomp plotter
                        because I have what is likely to be a duplicate, working unit. And I
                        need parts for mine as well!

                        Herb Johnson
                        retrotechnology.com
                      • Herb Johnson
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 3 10:15 AM
                          "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

                          > > There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
                          > > drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.
                          >
                          > Here's my version of a zoom and enhance for group view:
                          > http://www.panix.com/~allain/BendiX.jpg
                          >
                          > > But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
                          > > think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.
                          >
                          > Yes, Didn't David even bring one of those Calcomps to the VCFe?
                          >
                          > John A.

                          David's Web page is now linked on my PDP-8 Web page, and he has
                          pictures of his PDP-8/I exhibit.

                          John, about your "zoom and enhance". Here's an idea, others can
                          participate. The '8 Web page has photos of the modules on either side
                          of the PDP-8. Why not "zoom" in and make a text table of the modules
                          by name? Someone will have to do that eventually to inventory the
                          modules, see that they are in their proper places, and see if any are
                          missing or needed. A table of "original" positions, before any work is
                          done, will be a useful reference.

                          http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

                          Just give me time to add higher-resolution images to that page.

                          I've done this for the 11/20, on its Web page.

                          http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                          herb johnson
                          retrotechnology.com
                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 3 12:25 PM
                            It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                            Subj: OT: Harold & Kumar (was: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: plotter from Kagan)
                            Date: Fri May 2, 2008 4:45 pm
                            Size: 1K
                            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 27 , May 3 12:33 PM
                              Evan wrote:
                              > It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                              LOL! And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :) Lots
                              of funny parts...

                              Cheers,

                              Bryan

                            • mejeep_ferret
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 3 5:50 PM
                                I just read
                                http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                                That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                                appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                                Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.

                                I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                                http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                                I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                                the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!) I wrote FORTRAN
                                programs to generate Bode plots on the semilog paper, pausing to
                                change pen color for phase and magnitude.

                                They're actually made by Calcomp (and the 1130's paper tape reader was
                                actually made by Tally).

                                The interface is /really dumb/: just wires for
                                +X one step (1/100 inch)
                                -X one step
                                +Y one step
                                -Y one step
                                pen up
                                pen down

                                I have the IBM manuals for the plotter. It's an amazing amount of
                                transistorized circuitry for just advancing the stepper motors without
                                anything fancy such as slewing them motors.

                                I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about 100 feet) but
                                most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                                Yes, the takeup spool was just a spare cardboard tube from the paper
                                roll. The drum was large enough to tape a letter sized paper on it
                                (preferably with drafting tape so it removes completely without residue).

                                When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                                all the pieces
                                - the solenoid used for all pen types
                                - the sleeve and low top for the small ballpoint pens
                                - the sleeve and high top for the pressurized ballpoint pens
                                - the tip, barrel, collar, ink reservoir and hollow top for the
                                drafting pens
                                - the small glass alignment reticle with crosshairs for aligning the
                                carriage using the holder one inch above the pen (the program had to
                                move back one inch since it's not reasonable for the operator to count
                                100 single steps). (the Bendix carriage does not have that).
                                - the large glass alignment reticle with crosshairs that goes into the
                                pen holder for aligning where the pen goes.

                                The hollow top for the drafting pen also allowed felt tip pens that
                                were fitted with a metal ring.

                                -- Jeff Jonas
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 3 9:52 PM
                                  It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                                  http://vintagecomputer.net

                                  bd
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 3 9:56 PM
                                    I borrowed that first issue from Erik K. @ VCF last fall. Had it
                                    autographed by Lee Felsenstein. :)

                                    It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                                    http://vintagecomputer.net

                                    bd

                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 4 8:57 AM

                                      Bryan Pope wrote:
                                      Evan wrote:

                                      It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                                      LOL!  And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :)  Lots
                                      of funny parts...

                                      I   AM    I-I-I-R-R-O-O-N-N-M-M-A-A-N-N

                                      Definitely worth absorbing the ambiance from the silver screen.

                                      But then I didn't grow up without my comic books nor graphic novels.

                                      =Dan

                                    • Herb Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 4 1:49 PM
                                        "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> wrote:

                                        > I just read
                                        > http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                                        > That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                                        > appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                                        > Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.
                                        >
                                        > I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                                        > http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                                        > I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                                        > the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!)...

                                        Hello, Jeff, my compliments.

                                        Thanks for the Web link and your compliments about Dave's Web page.
                                        I've added the IBM link to "my" PDP-8 Web page. In due course I'll add
                                        your plotter comments here as a description there, with your
                                        permission. Thanks!

                                        > I have the IBM manuals for the plotter.

                                        You might compare them to the Calcomp manuals which Dave links to on
                                        his site.

                                        > I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about
                                        > 100 feet) but
                                        > most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                                        Preprinting is no big deal; one could reverse the roll. I'd like a few
                                        rolls for my plotter; I presume MARCH would like a few. I'd be glad to
                                        pay shipping for some rolls and pass a few along to MARCH. I'll
                                        contact you privately to discuss terms.

                                        > When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                                        > all the pieces

                                        Greatly appreciated, I'll add them to the page, you can send them to
                                        me. Let me know if there are any photos I need to take of *my*
                                        plotter. Presuming Evan permits me to restore the MARCH/Kagan plotter,
                                        I'll photograph it while in process.

                                        Hmmm...this bit of work may evolve into a permanent Calcomp plotter
                                        Web page on my (retrotechnology.com) Web site. Ultimately I presume
                                        MARCH will have their own PDP-8 Web page with other bits like the
                                        plotter, TTY, any papertape reader MARCH comes up with).

                                        Herb Johnson
                                        old plotter
                                        retrotechnology.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 4 8:56 PM
                                          Today was the first day our '8 was on public display at the museum. We had
                                          a typical amount of visitors today (around a dozen), most of whom seemed
                                          very into computers (sometimes they're not). Everyone today had that 'wow'
                                          expression when they saw the minicomputer. :)

                                          NJARC's Harry Klancer was particularly happy to see it in our museum,
                                          because he used to work on the same model. I suggested to him that he sign
                                          on to our list here...

                                          Tuesday night, I'm meeting the plastics guy (see thread below). Going to
                                          bring him the intact side of the '8 cover so he can take measurements and
                                          assess whether it's feasible to make two replicas at a decent price for us.
                                          (Dont worry, I am NOT leaving the original cover with him.)

                                          I had to bring the cover home today in the passenger seat because it doesn't
                                          fit in my trunk!