RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: PDP-8 ... On display

    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2008
      Cool. I didn't look at it that closely but I will this weekend. (Might be
      down there Saturday AND Sunday this weekend. There's some kind of special
      "Monmouth County Historal Trail", or whatever it's called, and Fred
      announced at the meeting last night that InfoAge is on the map. We're
      supposed to be open 12-5 both days.

      Also, today I called a couple of local plastics fabricators. One company
      particularly impressed me. As soon as I said "non-profit science museum"
      the guy was very responsive. Said he's been in the field for 30 years and
      he rattled off a list of high-profile clients, including a bunch of artsy
      things, so he 'gets' that what we're doing is special and fragile. Said I
      can bring him the intact original side of the '8's plexi cover, and that
      he'll take some measurements and assess if he can build two new covers in a
      cost-effective manner. From what he said on the phone today, I feel very
      encouraged.

      Message 2 of 27 , May 2, 2008
        I have better pics on my web site, but I did not see a name plate. It's
        either on the underside or there is none.
        http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008 (note file names for pics).

        There are a few pics of the plotter pen assembly which will help Mejeep
        compare and contrast with his unit.

        Bill

        At 01:37 AM 5/2/2008 -0400, you wrote:
        >Cool. I didn't look at it that closely but I will this weekend. (Might be
        >down there Saturday AND Sunday this weekend. There's some kind of special
        >"Monmouth County Historal Trail", or whatever it's called, and Fred
        >announced at the meeting last night that InfoAge is on the map. We're
        >supposed to be open 12-5 both days.
        >
        >Also, today I called a couple of local plastics fabricators. One company
        >particularly impressed me. As soon as I said "non-profit science museum"
        >the guy was very responsive. Said he's been in the field for 30 years and
        >he rattled off a list of high-profile clients, including a bunch of artsy
        >things, so he 'gets' that what we're doing is special and fragile. Said I
        >can bring him the intact original side of the '8's plexi cover, and that
        >he'll take some measurements and assess if he can build two new covers in a
        >cost-effective manner. From what he said on the phone today, I feel very
        >encouraged.

      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2, 2008
          > the plotter on the left
          > - what is the nameplate: IBM or CalComp?

          Bendix

          > - do you have all the pen accessories?

          The screw on top and solenoid metal core the pen rides in are missing. From
          looking at mine it looks like someone with a lathe should be able to make
          a functional replacement. No other bits came with it.

          Pictures that show the pen holder & plotter are here
          http://vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/

          > - is it interfaced to anything?

          It has an interface cable with some electronics which if I understand
          correctly they used to hook it up to the PDP-8 console port to generate
          the step pulses.

          > The reason I ask: I have an identical IBM 1627 plotter complete with
          > manual, both wood boxes of accessories, and lotsa paper rolls for it!

          If you could spare some paper for the museum that would be nice.

          For the pickup roll did it use the cardbord core the paper came on?
          Both mine and the museum one didn't have a pickup roll. I used a piece
          of plastic pipe.

          What accessories did yours come with?

          I have the big brother, the 563 interfaced to my PDP-8.
          http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml. Brought it to the last
          VCF east. http://www.pdp8online.com/shows/vcfe07/vcfe07.shtml

          When I was looking for paper it seems to be unobtainable in pin feed
          30 ish" that mine needs. I finally found 1 1/2 rolls from someone who
          used to have a plotter. For demos I have been using pinfeed printer
          paper. For pens I have cut down normal ballpoints but
          the small tips it needs also seem to be getting hard to find.
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2, 2008
            > I have better pics on my web site, but I did not see a name plate. It's
            > either on the underside or there is none.

            You can just about read the name plate in this picture. Its the black plate
            in the center back above the paper.
            http://vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/digital_pdp8-era_plotter.JPG
          • Bob Grieb
            Message 5 of 27 , May 2, 2008
              If this were a high-tech movie, we could just zoom in on
              that label, then hit a button called "enhance" and the
              label would appear clearly on the screen. Too bad it
              doesn't really work that way...

              --- David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

              > > I have better pics on my web site, but I did not see a name plate.
              > It's
              > > either on the underside or there is none.
              > >
              > You can just about read the name plate in this picture. Its the black
              > plate
              > in the center back above the paper.
              > http://vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/digital_pdp8-era_plotter.JPG

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 27 , May 2, 2008
                SCI-FI MADNESS AT IFC CENTER - Our mini- retrospective of classic science fiction films wraps up with a special screening of the groundbreaking TRON (1982) this weekend at the IFC Center, shown in 35mm!

                TRON
                USA, Steven Lisberger, 1982, 96 min
                In English. Recommended ages 8 to adult (rated PG)
                IFC Center - Sat & Sun, May 3 & 4 - 11:00am - Get your tickets now!

                In the cult-classic TRON, world-class hacker and video gamer Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) goes inside a computer to challenge the nefarious Master Computer Program and finds himself in a nerd Nirvana where computer-program-people do battle with Frisbees, race video game motorcycles, and have names like RAM and CPU. This seminal CGI flick (it was the inspiration for Pixar's founders to go it alone) combines live action and very early computer graphics for a retro-modern-psychedelic visual style that is way cool and has made the film a cult phenomenon. "A technological sound-and-light show that is sensational and brainy, stylish and fun." - Roger Ebert

                Sat May 3
                http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=9598&rdate=5%2F3%2F2008

                Sun May 4
                http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=9598&rdate=5%2F4%2F2008

              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 27 , May 2, 2008
                  "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

                  > Down here at InfoAge for the weekly meeting. Had some time to kill,
                  so I built a makeshift PDP-8 exhibit. :)

                  It looks good in the display room. I suggest you don't open up the
                  cage very often; those cables are 40 years old, don't flex them. A
                  good photo of the interior, posted nearby, would be sufficient for the
                  "makeshift exhibit".

                  I also suggest you use the content on the PDP-8 Web page I just
                  created, to make a one-page description, with Web links, which can be
                  color-printed and posted nearby. Please, please, please - provide
                  visitors with some information about this computer and who used it and
                  what they did. Again, my brief TCF experience was that even
                  experienced modern computerists just saw it as old, junk - irrelevant.
                  Tell our visitors why it is NOT.

                  Case in point. An engineering friend of mine looked at the Web page I
                  created and called the '8 a "resistor computer. I did not know they
                  made computers out of resistors." I'll fix that shortly. I'd welcome
                  any other comments about the page. Again, it's not my intention to
                  create "the" MARCH PDP-8 Web page. Not my job. But like Evan, I'm just
                  trying to get this machine into display and exhibit as soon as possible.

                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

                  Herb Johnson
                  retrotechnology.com
                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 2, 2008
                    David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

                    > > I have better pics on my web site, but I did not see a name plate.
                    It's
                    > > either on the underside or there is none.
                    > >
                    > You can just about read the name plate in this picture. Its the
                    black plate
                    > in the center back above the paper.
                    > http://vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/digital_pdp8-era_plotter.JPG

                    Tht black strip is probably a Dymo lable.

                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

                    I will shortly update the PDP-8 Web page I've created to include
                    photos of the "Kagan" Calcomp plotter; photos of my *own* Calcomp 565
                    plotter which I recently acquired; and links as posted here by David
                    Gesswein to his site of his longer-version Calcomp plotter and his
                    PDP-8/I exhibit at TCF-EAST last here (presuming his permission to do so).

                    The nameplate on my plotter is underneath. Evan, can you look under
                    the "Kagan" plotter this weekend and post the name and the model
                    number you'll likely see there? Also see if the connector on the back
                    looks like the connector (or connector fitting) on the photo of mine.
                    I don't know the operational status of the Kagan/MARCH plotter.

                    My Calcomp plotter "works" to the extent that the manual controls
                    produce appropriate movement. I do not have the removable pen mech at
                    all - that's why I took a number of photos of the Kagan plotter's pen
                    mech. I anticipated either obtaining one for me, or building one. I am
                    not sure the MARCH/Kagan pen mech is complete - David, please comment.

                    I volunteer to review and restore the MARCH/Kagan Calcomp plotter.
                    This I can do, I have one myself, I need to fix mine, I see that David
                    has the docs online and runs one also. But it may not happen this
                    month (May).

                    Herb Johnson
                    We have the technology.
                    retrotechnology.com
                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 2, 2008
                      > --- David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > > I have better pics on my web site, but I did not see a name plate.
                      > > It's
                      > > > either on the underside or there is none.
                      > > >
                      > > You can just about read the name plate in this picture. Its the black
                      > > plate
                      > > in the center back above the paper.
                      > > http://vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/digital_pdp8-era_plotter.JPG
                      > >
                      >Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > If this were a high-tech movie, we could just zoom in on
                      > that label, then hit a button called "enhance" and the
                      > label would appear clearly on the screen. Too bad it
                      > doesn't really work that way...

                      Correction to my recent post. There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
                      drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.
                      Sorry, can't create pixels from thin air. Bendix was a manufacturer of
                      the era. But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
                      think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.

                      So Evan, please report on the Bendix nameplate and whatever Calcomp
                      nameplate is likely underneath the plotter. Thanks!

                      The PDP-8 page now has some discussion of the plotter. Claude will
                      have to be asked about how it came to be part of the 8.

                      Additionally, I have no good photos of the "Kagan/RESISTORS" Teletype.
                      Evan or whoever, can you photograph the cleaned-up Teletype and
                      provide the photo? Contact me c/o retrotechnology.com, check the site
                      for an address.

                      Herb Johnson
                      retrotechnology.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 2, 2008
                        nameplate is likely underneath the plotter ... photograph the
                        cleaned-up Teletype and

                        Will do (or at least will try to remember -- someone please send me an
                        email Saturday in the early afternoon).

                        Tonight I'm going to see "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay".
                        I'm told that it picks up in the evening, as they are back in their
                        Hoboken apartment digesting the White Castle burgers.
                      • David Gesswein
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 2, 2008
                          > Also see if the connector on the back
                          > looks like the connector (or connector fitting) on the photo of mine.

                          They are the same as yours and mine. Looks like your power plug is
                          broken. It is still a production part. If you need me to dig up where I
                          bought one let me know. The data plug seems to be long out of production.
                          I saw a part broker had one at much more than I wanted to pay. I made a
                          cable with some leftover pins for mil round connectors and some hot melt.

                          The MARCH plotter has a cable coming out from the guts, possible through
                          where the fuse holder should be. Looks like they couldn't get a mate either.

                          > I don't know the operational status of the Kagan/MARCH plotter.

                          Nobody does. It looks like it was operation when last used in the mid 70's
                          I didn't look inside enough to see if something significant was obvious.

                          > I do not have the removable pen mech at
                          > all

                          That will be a little tricky to make a replacement for. The pen holder is
                          a solenoid. It is powered by the two wires that move the pen left and
                          right. The pen is in a metal part which is the solenoid core which the
                          outer coil moves up and down for pen up and down.

                          - that's why I took a number of photos of the Kagan plotter's pen
                          > mech. I anticipated either obtaining one for me, or building one. I am
                          > not sure the MARCH/Kagan pen mech is complete - David, please comment.

                          In the previous list email I said its missing the interior metal core and the
                          top. I will try to take some more pictures this weekend and add them
                          to my Calcomp page.
                        • Bryan Pope
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 2, 2008
                            Evan Koblentz wrote:
                            > Will do (or at least will try to remember -- someone please send me an
                            > email Saturday in the early afternoon).
                            >
                            > Tonight I'm going to see "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay".
                            > I'm told that it picks up in the evening, as they are back in their
                            > Hoboken apartment digesting the White Castle burgers.

                            you are correcto-mondo sir.. It picks up a couple of hours after the
                            last movie as our intrepid heroes try to follow the beautiful Maria to
                            Amsterdam.. Neil Patrick Harris will be making another appearance.. :)

                            Cheers,

                            Bryan

                            P.S. Have a joy joy day!
                          • John Allain
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 2, 2008
                              > There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
                              > drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.

                              Here's my version of a zoom and enhance for group view:
                              http://www.panix.com/~allain/BendiX.jpg

                              > But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
                              > think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.

                              Yes, Didn't David even bring one of those Calcomps to the VCFe?

                              John A.
                            • Herb Johnson
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                                David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote at length about the MARCH/Kagan
                                Calcomp plotter and about mine, based on the pictures I've posted of
                                both on my PDP-8 Web page. I've responded privately and he and I will
                                discuss details. Any results of note will be on my PDP-8 page or
                                posted here.

                                Addtional photos on my PDP-8 Web page now include a picture of the pen
                                mechanism, taken from the Calcomp manual available via David's
                                excellent PDP-8 and Calcomp plotter Web pages. Thank you to David.
                                David's site is linked from my Web page.

                                http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

                                In due course, I expect MARCH to create their own Web page, on the
                                MARCH Web site, about the RESISTORS/Kagan PDP-8 and related devices.
                                There is considerable history about this donation which MARCH should
                                explore with Claude and put on a MARCH-generated Web page and into
                                documents associated with MARCH's PDP-8 display. I just got things
                                started, as did Bill with his photos, and Evan by setting up the '8
                                for display; and as other MARCH friends and members contributed their
                                efforts. (Those contributions are better noted on a MARCH Web page
                                than on mine.)

                                I'm busy enough, working on a PDP-11/20 display for MARCH.

                                Otherwise, as I've posted, I'm willing to work on the Calcomp plotter
                                because I have what is likely to be a duplicate, working unit. And I
                                need parts for mine as well!

                                Herb Johnson
                                retrotechnology.com
                              • Herb Johnson
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                                  "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

                                  > > There IS a "Bendix" nameplate behind the
                                  > > drum as David noted. I did the image "zoom and ehnance" Bob suggested.
                                  >
                                  > Here's my version of a zoom and enhance for group view:
                                  > http://www.panix.com/~allain/BendiX.jpg
                                  >
                                  > > But look at Bill's and David's and my (Herb's) photos and I
                                  > > think it's likely the Kagan plotter is Calcomp.
                                  >
                                  > Yes, Didn't David even bring one of those Calcomps to the VCFe?
                                  >
                                  > John A.

                                  David's Web page is now linked on my PDP-8 Web page, and he has
                                  pictures of his PDP-8/I exhibit.

                                  John, about your "zoom and enhance". Here's an idea, others can
                                  participate. The '8 Web page has photos of the modules on either side
                                  of the PDP-8. Why not "zoom" in and make a text table of the modules
                                  by name? Someone will have to do that eventually to inventory the
                                  modules, see that they are in their proper places, and see if any are
                                  missing or needed. A table of "original" positions, before any work is
                                  done, will be a useful reference.

                                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

                                  Just give me time to add higher-resolution images to that page.

                                  I've done this for the 11/20, on its Web page.

                                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                                  herb johnson
                                  retrotechnology.com
                                • Evan
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                                    It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                                    Subj: OT: Harold & Kumar (was: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: plotter from Kagan)
                                    Date: Fri May 2, 2008 4:45 pm
                                    Size: 1K
                                    To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                                      Evan wrote:
                                      > It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                                      LOL! And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :) Lots
                                      of funny parts...

                                      Cheers,

                                      Bryan

                                    • mejeep_ferret
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                                        I just read
                                        http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                                        That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                                        appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                                        Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.

                                        I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                                        http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                                        I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                                        the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!) I wrote FORTRAN
                                        programs to generate Bode plots on the semilog paper, pausing to
                                        change pen color for phase and magnitude.

                                        They're actually made by Calcomp (and the 1130's paper tape reader was
                                        actually made by Tally).

                                        The interface is /really dumb/: just wires for
                                        +X one step (1/100 inch)
                                        -X one step
                                        +Y one step
                                        -Y one step
                                        pen up
                                        pen down

                                        I have the IBM manuals for the plotter. It's an amazing amount of
                                        transistorized circuitry for just advancing the stepper motors without
                                        anything fancy such as slewing them motors.

                                        I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about 100 feet) but
                                        most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                                        Yes, the takeup spool was just a spare cardboard tube from the paper
                                        roll. The drum was large enough to tape a letter sized paper on it
                                        (preferably with drafting tape so it removes completely without residue).

                                        When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                                        all the pieces
                                        - the solenoid used for all pen types
                                        - the sleeve and low top for the small ballpoint pens
                                        - the sleeve and high top for the pressurized ballpoint pens
                                        - the tip, barrel, collar, ink reservoir and hollow top for the
                                        drafting pens
                                        - the small glass alignment reticle with crosshairs for aligning the
                                        carriage using the holder one inch above the pen (the program had to
                                        move back one inch since it's not reasonable for the operator to count
                                        100 single steps). (the Bendix carriage does not have that).
                                        - the large glass alignment reticle with crosshairs that goes into the
                                        pen holder for aligning where the pen goes.

                                        The hollow top for the drafting pen also allowed felt tip pens that
                                        were fitted with a metal ring.

                                        -- Jeff Jonas
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                                          It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                                          http://vintagecomputer.net

                                          bd
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                                            I borrowed that first issue from Erik K. @ VCF last fall. Had it
                                            autographed by Lee Felsenstein. :)

                                            It's been a while - I have updated my home page.

                                            http://vintagecomputer.net

                                            bd

                                          • Dan Roganti
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 4, 2008

                                              Bryan Pope wrote:
                                              Evan wrote:

                                              It reminded me of Clerks 2 -- funny, but not as good as the original.

                                              LOL!  And speaking of that, I *just* finished watching Clerks! :)  Lots
                                              of funny parts...

                                              I   AM    I-I-I-R-R-O-O-N-N-M-M-A-A-N-N

                                              Definitely worth absorbing the ambiance from the silver screen.

                                              But then I didn't grow up without my comic books nor graphic novels.

                                              =Dan

                                            • Herb Johnson
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                                                "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> wrote:

                                                > I just read
                                                > http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml
                                                > That's a fine web page about the plotter. The manuals are greatly
                                                > appreciated. It would be great seeing the Plotter Excerciser and
                                                > Plotter Diagnostic running the plotter again.
                                                >
                                                > I have the IBM 1627 model 1 as shown in
                                                > http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/Plotter.html
                                                > I used it on the IBM system 1130 at college and got to keep it when
                                                > the systems were scrapped/decommissioned (no space!)...

                                                Hello, Jeff, my compliments.

                                                Thanks for the Web link and your compliments about Dave's Web page.
                                                I've added the IBM link to "my" PDP-8 Web page. In due course I'll add
                                                your plotter comments here as a description there, with your
                                                permission. Thanks!

                                                > I have the IBM manuals for the plotter.

                                                You might compare them to the Calcomp manuals which Dave links to on
                                                his site.

                                                > I have at least 50 paper rolls for it (one foot by about
                                                > 100 feet) but
                                                > most are pre-printed with semilog and log-log scales.

                                                Preprinting is no big deal; one could reverse the roll. I'd like a few
                                                rolls for my plotter; I presume MARCH would like a few. I'd be glad to
                                                pay shipping for some rolls and pass a few along to MARCH. I'll
                                                contact you privately to discuss terms.

                                                > When I can dig out the fitted wood accessory boxes, I'll photograph
                                                > all the pieces

                                                Greatly appreciated, I'll add them to the page, you can send them to
                                                me. Let me know if there are any photos I need to take of *my*
                                                plotter. Presuming Evan permits me to restore the MARCH/Kagan plotter,
                                                I'll photograph it while in process.

                                                Hmmm...this bit of work may evolve into a permanent Calcomp plotter
                                                Web page on my (retrotechnology.com) Web site. Ultimately I presume
                                                MARCH will have their own PDP-8 Web page with other bits like the
                                                plotter, TTY, any papertape reader MARCH comes up with).

                                                Herb Johnson
                                                old plotter
                                                retrotechnology.com
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                                                  Today was the first day our '8 was on public display at the museum. We had
                                                  a typical amount of visitors today (around a dozen), most of whom seemed
                                                  very into computers (sometimes they're not). Everyone today had that 'wow'
                                                  expression when they saw the minicomputer. :)

                                                  NJARC's Harry Klancer was particularly happy to see it in our museum,
                                                  because he used to work on the same model. I suggested to him that he sign
                                                  on to our list here...

                                                  Tuesday night, I'm meeting the plastics guy (see thread below). Going to
                                                  bring him the intact side of the '8 cover so he can take measurements and
                                                  assess whether it's feasible to make two replicas at a decent price for us.
                                                  (Dont worry, I am NOT leaving the original cover with him.)

                                                  I had to bring the cover home today in the passenger seat because it doesn't
                                                  fit in my trunk!