RE: [midatlanticretro] regarding Ebay and vintage computers

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
      Here is some additional background information, for anyone not familiar with the auction in question.

      The item is at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80286&item=5213140640 and the main problem was that the seller was extremely vague in his answers to questions.  This was discussed exhaustively on the classiccmp.org's cctalk mailing list.  By comparing notes, we found out that the seller has a history of suspicious selling bahavior.  The buyer is going to be quite disappointed when they learn the truth about the item.

      Bill, I agree with the idea in concept, but I don't think MARCH is the group to do it.  I think what the hobby needs is some kind of worldwide organization.  For example, there used to be a group called the International Association of Calculator Collectors (I don't know why it faded away - perhaps it was because of eBay!).  I know that other technical hobbies have similar associations, but I don't know any specifics.  Perhaps other MARCH'ers know of some?

      What I imagine is a group that would address any issues affecting computer collectors worldwide.  For example, the group could:
      - do public outreach, such as to school children, related hobbies, and politicians/recycling advocates (who I fear are training the world that ALL old electronics are junk)
      - give stamps of approval to individual sellers (not per item, that would be insanely complicated)
      - maybe become a central place where people can post rescue opportunities

      In general, I think it's wise to avoid duplicating existing efforts (i.e. classifieds, forums, etc.)...

      Initial feedback here on the MARCH list would be great, but soon I think it should move to classiccmp instead.  The issue is just too big to be stuck within a regional group, especially with eBay being worldwide and largely anonymous.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
        Bill:

        Interesting proposition. First order of business is to buy
        liability insurance :-)

        This sort of thing already exists in the form of "escrow sales"
        on eBay. Unfortunately, since there's a fee for using it, many people
        don't. I just buught an Altair for $650 from "fdbruce". I didn't use an
        escrow because (1) it's a pain, (2) it takes longer to get my item and
        (3) I knew the seller through his eBay history. The escrow agent is
        responsible for determining that what was listed was in fact the item
        and is in the condition as specified. If those conditions are met,
        escrow is broken and the money and item are exchanged.

        While writing this response I saw the note from Evan. I agree.
        This is a wider problem that should be also be addressed with the
        ClassicCmp list. This could itself turn into a business requiring the
        full-time commitment of a few individuals. You'd have to convince eBay
        to advertise our verification services, offer our credentials, and let
        them endorse it.

        Classic marketing...define and advertise the problem and offer a
        solution for a fee (natch). Build a business plan! Call the Venture
        Capitalists! The ticker symbol should be "MRCH"!

        Rich
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005

          LOL, well that's more than I had in mind... actually I've been pondering the idea of some kind of hobby association for a while, but for now it seemed like an idea to keep on the shelf and refine.  I also hadn't thought of the certification idea until Bill's email.