RESISTORS PDP-8 Web page

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

      Here's some images, info, and notes about the PDP-8 my friend Claude
      Kagan provided to MARCH. Photos courtesy of myself and Bill Degnan,
      who I presume permits this use. I think this provides VERY brief
      background about the PDP-8 in general, the RESISTORS, Claude, and the
      first time the 8 has been shown in many years.

      Contact me for any simple corrections. But MARCH should really have
      this info and these images on their Web site. MARCH can take this
      material and images with my permission, and work with it on their site
      as they wish.

      I've done this bit as a courtesy to MARCH and to Claude; I'm not
      responsible for any exhibit plans for the '8. Also the notes are a
      kind of a response to some reactions I got about the '8 when it was
      shown at TCF; and to that poor PC World blog-up of TCF that Evan
      posted about here in this list. (I responded with my own post on that
      site, find the posts hear for details.)

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4 8:30 AM
        http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/pdp8.html

        On the Web page I constructed about Claude Kagan's and the RESISTOR's
        PDP-8, I've added information and photos about the box of papertapes
        and manuals Claude provided to MARCH with the '8. These paper tapes
        represent his work on "Hershey fonts", character fonts created by Dr.
        Hershey in the 1960's. Check that page for details. The box of
        materials was tagged by me during my visit to InfoAge this weekend.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4 8:39 AM
          Additionally, I picked up the Calcomp plotter pen mechanism, to work
          on it at home and to combine it with the parts obtained by David
          Gesswein. He had these constructed and he tested them on his plotter.
          I'll return the assembly after testing and documenting their
          construction, with the hope of making more for myself and others.

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com
        • Stan Brewer