Re: [midatlanticretro] HOPE update

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 30, 2008
      Slight update ... the HOPE admins really want us to stay for at least two
      days, since we're using significant space.

      I'm not completely against that, I'm just cheap. :)

      If we have six or seven people who want to share a couple of rooms in the
      hotel, that could work out.

      Anyway, they want to know our plan SOON, so let's get chatting about it.

      > Everyone: go to wiki.thelasthope.org, click the 'projects' link and then
      > 'vintage computers demo'.
      >
      > Myself and a HOPE official coordinated that page today. MARCH is listed
      > on their map page as well. Our space is about 16x19 feet so we can fit
      > about six tables.
      >
      > I posted in the wiki and at talk.hope.net that any HOPE attendee wishing
      > to participate in the demo should coordinate with MARCH via our own list
      > (the HOPE admins are okay with that).
      >
      > In 2006 we only exhibited for one day. I don't think anyone here
      > (certainly not me) wants to pay the $155/night for a double room. So what
      > I propose is that we start EARLY on Sat. and stay LATE. There's a hammock
      > area across from our space if anyone needs a mid-day break.
      >
      > Comments / suggestions please.

    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 30, 2008
        Evan wrote:
        > Everyone: go to wiki.thelasthope.org, click the 'projects' link and
        > then 'vintage computers demo'.
        >
        > Myself and a HOPE official coordinated that page today. MARCH is
        > listed on their map page as well. Our space is about 16x19 feet so
        > we can fit about six tables.

        I'll check that page out when I have a minute.

        BTW, I will come again this year.

        > I posted in the wiki and at talk.hope.net that any HOPE attendee
        > wishing to participate in the demo should coordinate with MARCH via
        > our own list (the HOPE admins are okay with that).

        Ok.

        > In 2006 we only exhibited for one day. I don't think anyone here
        > (certainly not me) wants to pay the $155/night for a double room. So
        > what I propose is that we start EARLY on Sat. and stay LATE. There's
        > a hammock area across from our space if anyone needs a mid-day break.

        I can be there both days if necessary. My brother lives down there, and
        I'll crash at his place.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 30, 2008
          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > Slight update ... the HOPE admins really want us to stay for at least two
          > days, since we're using significant space.
          >
          > I'm not completely against that, I'm just cheap. :)
          >
          > If we have six or seven people who want to share a couple of rooms in the
          > hotel, that could work out.
          >
          > Anyway, they want to know our plan SOON, so let's get chatting about it.

          Like I said, I will be able to be there both days, and I won't need a room.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 30, 2008
            I will be there at least one day, I may have a place to stay or I will book a room
            bd

            > > Everyone: go to wiki.thelasthope.org, click the 'projects' link and
            > > then 'vintage computers demo'.
            > >
            > > Myself and a HOPE official coordinated that page today. MARCH is
            > > listed on their map page as well. Our space is about 16x19 feet so
            > > we can fit about six tables.
            >
            > I'll check that page out when I have a minute.
            >
            > BTW, I will come again this year.
            >
            > > I posted in the wiki and at talk.hope.net that any HOPE attendee
            > > wishing to participate in the demo should coordinate with MARCH via
            > > our own list (the HOPE admins are okay with that).
            >
            > Ok.
            >
            > > In 2006 we only exhibited for one day. I don't think anyone here
            > > (certainly not me) wants to pay the $155/night for a double room. So
            > > what I propose is that we start EARLY on Sat. and stay LATE. There's
            > > a hammock area across from our space if anyone needs a mid-day break.
            >
            > I can be there both days if necessary. My brother lives down there, and
            > I'll crash at his place.
            >
            > Peace... Sridhar

          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 30, 2008
              HOPE is on a reserve weekend for me but I can be back in the city by 5pm

              I can man the booth after 6pm

            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 14, 2010
                I brought home the better of MARCH's two PDP-11/05 systems tonight, along with an Atari 2600. Also borrowed a collapsible handtruck from my father. In addition I'm bringing my IBM Simon, club literature, and (maybe) our MARCH logo flags if I can figure out a way to get them on the train. I may cut the poles in half and make some kind of sleeve to easily rebuild them on-site. The actual flags will go with a few other posters in an art portfolio case. Yessir ... the train conductor will LOVE me for schlepping all this. :)

                Sridhar + Jeff J. -- what are you each bringing?
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 15, 2010
                  In summary:

                  - Frank is bringing the Apollo Guidance Computer (cool!)
                  - Bill Deg. is bringing an AT&T UNIX PC (plan A) or if he can't get it
                  working than something else (plan B)
                  - I'm bringing the PDP-11/05, Atari 2600, IBM Simon + tablecloths +
                  MARCH/InfoAge literature
                  - Systems.Glitch (Jonathan) is bringing a Kaypro II and a SPARCclassic.
                  - Telmnstr (Ethan) is bringing .... ???
                  - Sridhar is bringing .... ???
                  - Jeff J. is bringing .... ???

                  Arbitrarily, I plan to be there Saturday morning by 9-ish. It would be
                  helpful if everyone else could arrive around the same time, or slightly
                  after, so we can make sure each table gets the same tablecloth (leftover
                  yellow ones from last year's VCF East) + we can set up the MARCH flags
                  and stuff.

                  Frank / Bill / Sridhar / JJ -- please wear your favorite MARCH or VCF
                  shirts.

                  Oh, forgot to mention -- I'm also bringing the second batch of VCF
                  shirts from last year (the black ones). Jonathan / Ethan -- let me know
                  what sizes you wear.

                  As always, I'll be reachable by cell; 646.546.9999 except when the train
                  goes underground.
                • telmnstr@757.org
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 15, 2010
                    I'm bringing a TRS-80 model 4. I will bring a box of blank floppies.
                    I have no software for the machine. If someone has TRS-DOS, that would be
                    good. (A copy, just incase the drive is bad.)
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 15, 2010
                      evan@... wrote:
                      > I brought home the better of MARCH's two PDP-11/05 systems tonight,
                      > along with an Atari 2600. Also borrowed a collapsible handtruck from
                      > my father. In addition I'm bringing my IBM Simon, club literature,
                      > and (maybe) our MARCH logo flags if I can figure out a way to get
                      > them on the train. I may cut the poles in half and make some kind of
                      > sleeve to easily rebuild them on-site. The actual flags will go with
                      > a few other posters in an art portfolio case. Yessir ... the train
                      > conductor will LOVE me for schlepping all this. :)
                      >
                      > Sridhar + Jeff J. -- what are you each bringing?

                      I think I'll probably bring an Apple //e and a VAXstation 4000/VLC.

                      BTW, for those who offered to bring an LCD TV to HOPE, I would like to
                      take one of you up on that offer for use with my //e.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 15, 2010
                        it would also be very useful to have more than one LCD TV, another for the
                        Atari 2600.
                        bd

                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 15, 2010
                          Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                          >I think I'll probably bring an Apple //e and a VAXstation 4000/VLC.

                          I told Evan I'd offer a VAXstation 4000/VLC replete with an ATA flight case
                          custom made for it (this VLC traveled around the world for trade shows).

                          Sridhar, if you don't have one, see if you can obtain a d|i|g|i|t|a|l part
                          number 29-32549-01 RGB-SOG BNC to VGA adapter. It'll make your VS4000/VLC
                          function with today's flat panal VGA screen. Beats lugging heavy monitors;
                          especially those that are RGB-SOG.
                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 15, 2010
                            system@... wrote:
                            > Sridhar Ayengar<ploopster@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> I think I'll probably bring an Apple //e and a VAXstation 4000/VLC.
                            >
                            > I told Evan I'd offer a VAXstation 4000/VLC replete with an ATA flight case
                            > custom made for it (this VLC traveled around the world for trade shows).
                            >
                            > Sridhar, if you don't have one, see if you can obtain a d|i|g|i|t|a|l part
                            > number 29-32549-01 RGB-SOG BNC to VGA adapter. It'll make your VS4000/VLC
                            > function with today's flat panal VGA screen. Beats lugging heavy monitors;
                            > especially those that are RGB-SOG.

                            I doubt I could obtain that on such short notice. But, in any case, I
                            was planning on using the Apple //e as a terminal for the VAXstation.

                            Peace... Sridhar
                          • evan@snarc.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 15, 2010
                              >>> it would also be very useful to have more than one LCD TV, another for the Atari 2600.

                              I plan to bring a small TV, but I'd strongly prefer an LCD ... because it's one less thing to take on the train!!!
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 10, 2014
                                MARCHins,

                                Update/refresher on HOPE:

                                - Me, Bill Deg., Jeff B., Jeff J., Sridhar, Mouse, Ian, and Glitch will
                                all be working the club's exhibit on the mezzanine level of the hotel

                                - Tickets were extremely sparse. We have no more available. All MARCHins
                                are welcome to help/hang out with us, but unfortunately we can't provide
                                any more tickets.

                                - As previously stated, the club booked a room in the hotel; Ian and I
                                have dibs on the beds. All MARCHins are welcome to use floor/chair/couch
                                space and the shower (well, not for sleeping!) on a first-come,
                                first-served based. However this being Manhattan we expect the room to
                                be really small.

                                - Bring money for food .... because New York.
                              • billdeg
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 12, 2014
                                  please recap the systems being exhibited.
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 12, 2014
                                    >> please recap the systems being exhibited.

                                    Sure.

                                    MARCH is exhibiting the Mimeo, Apple II, Lisa 2, and Mac 128K.

                                    Ian is bringing Apple II clones.

                                    Sridhar is bringing a //c.

                                    Mouse is bringing his Mac Portable.

                                    TBD: e, +, III.

                                  • Jeffrey Brace
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 14, 2014
                                      > please recap the systems being exhibited.

                                      And here I thought he meant to replace all the capacitors in these systems! ;)

                                      Jeff Brace