RE: [midatlanticretro] Some press for MARCH ... sort of :(

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2008
      Uh...you might want to make a further correction. In your Comment, you
      wrote:

      "PS -- That's me in the dark red shit and tan baseball hat -- "me" is Evan
      Koblentz of MARCH."

      "red shit"? :-)

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/dixie.html
      The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2008
        >>> Uh...you might want to make a further correction. In your Comment, you
        wrote: "PS -- That's me in the dark red shit and tan baseball hat -- "me" is
        Evan Koblentz of MARCH."

        "red shit"? :-)

        Oh man ... not a good night for Evan Williams. :)

        Sent an email just now to the community editor with the correction.
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2008
          "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

          > As a technology journalist myself, I find it offensive that he
          didn't do any
          > homework and got so many facts wrong.

          The link given did not work for me, because ".html" was split apart. I
          found the article and here is another link with an obvious split:

          http://blogs.pcworld.com/
          communityvoices/archives/2008/04/adventures_at_t.html

          The article, it's noted, was written by someone not on PCWorld staff.
          They did get some facts wrong, and their impressions mostly suck.

          In any event, my experience at the MARCH booth area was that many
          people seeing it, did not have much of an impression of what that
          large computer was all about. I offered an explanation of that PDP-8's
          background to "some local computing advocates" (no names) and they
          were bored. I imagine their reaction was something like "old Compac
          server heavy, slow and therefore no good equals old bunch-o-cards
          computer heavier, slower and therefore even more no good".

          I'm not a MARCH officer but I'll consider posting something there
          myself. NOt just because it misrepresented the 8 or MARCH, but also
          because it described the flea market - including where I was selling
          some of those described iMacs - in terms far worse than it should have
          been described.

          All this goes to the point that MARCH, in my opinion, needs to get its
          "voice" out there, or the only comments will be from those with no
          clue about computer history. MARCH needs to have good descriptions of
          the computers they exhibit. Those descriptions must show not just the
          "how", but the "who" and "why". Blinkin' lights alone will not tell
          the story; and not all computers can play Missle Command. I believe
          the story of the RESISTOR's PDP-8 is very compelling, for those
          interested in a story.

          Herb Johnson
          old "iron" man
          retrotechnology.com