Some press for MARCH ... sort of :(

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2008
      Message
      As a technology journalist myself, I find it offensive that he didn't do any homework and got so many facts wrong.

    • madodel
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2008
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > As a technology journalist myself, I find it offensive that he didn't do
        > any homework and got so many facts wrong.
        >
        > http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2008/04/adventures_at_t.html

        Why don't you come clean and admit you are really Evan Williams of the
        Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey? I've always suspected you were
        hiding something. All you New Jersey guys are sneaky. ;-)

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        Warpstock 2008 - Santa Cruz, California: http://www.warpstock.org
        Warpstock Europe 2008 - Düsseldorf, Germany: http://www.warpstock.eu

        http://www.os2voice.org

        Investigation, 1938
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28, 2008
          >>> Why don't you come clean and admit you are really Evan Williams of the
          Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey? I've always suspected you were hiding
          something. All you New Jersey guys are sneaky. ;-)

          Ha!

          I can understand how he confused ACGNJ's banner as applying to both tables
          -- several attendees made the same mistake. Our sign was not as prominent
          and the location of the '8 and '33 must've been confusing. Fair enough

          But: didn't he see the wording on my MARCH shirt? Where did he get
          "Williams" from? And worst of all, even if he's a lousy reporter who
          doesn't fact-check, then AT LEAST he should know his subject matter if he's
          writing for PC Magazine and inquire about the make/model of the computer,
          not just say it's "one of those computers that require five men to lift" ...
          actually it only takes FOUR people. :)
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28, 2008
            Well this ironic ... a correction of my own ... I do fact-check but I need
            to work on reading comprehension skills! Top of that blog post explains,
            "Community Voices - PC World readers share their point of view" ... so it's
            just a random person ... NOT a paid writer for the magazine.

            >>> Why don't you come clean and admit you are really Evan Williams of
            >>> the
            Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey? I've always suspected you were hiding
            something. All you New Jersey guys are sneaky. ;-)

            Ha!

            I can understand how he confused ACGNJ's banner as applying to both tables
            -- several attendees made the same mistake. Our sign was not as prominent
            and the location of the '8 and '33 must've been confusing. Fair enough

            But: didn't he see the wording on my MARCH shirt? Where did he get
            "Williams" from? And worst of all, even if he's a lousy reporter who
            doesn't fact-check, then AT LEAST he should know his subject matter if he's
            writing for PC Magazine and inquire about the make/model of the computer,
            not just say it's "one of those computers that require five men to lift" ...
            actually it only takes FOUR people. :)

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 28, 2008
              Uh...you might want to make a further correction. In your Comment, you
              wrote:

              "PS -- That's me in the dark red shit and tan baseball hat -- "me" is Evan
              Koblentz of MARCH."

              "red shit"? :-)

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/dixie.html
              The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 28, 2008
                >>> Uh...you might want to make a further correction. In your Comment, you
                wrote: "PS -- That's me in the dark red shit and tan baseball hat -- "me" is
                Evan Koblentz of MARCH."

                "red shit"? :-)

                Oh man ... not a good night for Evan Williams. :)

                Sent an email just now to the community editor with the correction.
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 30, 2008
                  "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                  > As a technology journalist myself, I find it offensive that he
                  didn't do any
                  > homework and got so many facts wrong.

                  The link given did not work for me, because ".html" was split apart. I
                  found the article and here is another link with an obvious split:

                  http://blogs.pcworld.com/
                  communityvoices/archives/2008/04/adventures_at_t.html

                  The article, it's noted, was written by someone not on PCWorld staff.
                  They did get some facts wrong, and their impressions mostly suck.

                  In any event, my experience at the MARCH booth area was that many
                  people seeing it, did not have much of an impression of what that
                  large computer was all about. I offered an explanation of that PDP-8's
                  background to "some local computing advocates" (no names) and they
                  were bored. I imagine their reaction was something like "old Compac
                  server heavy, slow and therefore no good equals old bunch-o-cards
                  computer heavier, slower and therefore even more no good".

                  I'm not a MARCH officer but I'll consider posting something there
                  myself. NOt just because it misrepresented the 8 or MARCH, but also
                  because it described the flea market - including where I was selling
                  some of those described iMacs - in terms far worse than it should have
                  been described.

                  All this goes to the point that MARCH, in my opinion, needs to get its
                  "voice" out there, or the only comments will be from those with no
                  clue about computer history. MARCH needs to have good descriptions of
                  the computers they exhibit. Those descriptions must show not just the
                  "how", but the "who" and "why". Blinkin' lights alone will not tell
                  the story; and not all computers can play Missle Command. I believe
                  the story of the RESISTOR's PDP-8 is very compelling, for those
                  interested in a story.

                  Herb Johnson
                  old "iron" man
                  retrotechnology.com