Greetings from the Midwest

  • jack99rubin
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2008
      Hello to MARCH from VCF Midwest 4.0! We're having a grand time here at
      Purdue. The weather is good and the crowds are friendly. Too bad you're
      all at TCF this weekend; maybe someday we can figure out how to
      schedule events so that the few vintage happenings don't conflict.

      Best to all,
      Jack
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2008
        Jack, thanks for the report! Please tell all the friends-of-MARCH out there that we said a big hello.

        Things are going well here in Trenton. Yesterday our double-sized booth seemed to be the hit of the show. (Then again, the booth across from ours is some lady selling bathroom renovations!?!?!?)

        Rescuing the PDP-8 was an interesting adventure. It weighs much less now that we cleaned off the top layer. :)

        The actual serial number is 1158. Not 2 ..... But that in no way makes it less exciting! For example, we found a mouse nest inside (but no mouse, furry or electronic).

        DG says it looks totally restorable to him, and Claude included some paper tape, an ASR-33, and a console.

        Lots more info to come, tonight.

        But before I forget: a massive and public THANK YOU to Claude and his former club mates for agreeeing to give us this system.
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2008
          Wrap-up ... after dinner and alcohol at H.I. Rib & Co. last night, we all
          rested for Day 2 ......

          Today we had slightly fewer volunteers than yesterday -- me, Andy, Bryan P.,
          John, and Jim S. .... Plus more visits from the likes of Herb, Claude, Frank
          O., etc. .... John brought us munchkins for breakfast. Mmmmmm munchkins.

          Day 2 is always less foot traffic than Day 1. But just like yesterday,
          everyone who stopped at our booth was very enthusiastic. A few people
          promised to give us some equipment, and many people sounded thrilled to hear
          about our museum and VCF East 5.0.

          Steve G. came in the late afternoon to help us transport the PDP-8 back to
          InfoAge in his minivan. Jim and I went back to InfoAge as well to unload
          everything. Then, of course, we went for another round of
          dinner-and-alcohol.

          Overall, it was a fantastic weekend. The donated equipment from Claude, the
          very positive response from TCF attendees, and the MARCH social aspect make
          all the hard work and pre-planning all worthwhile.

          From: "jack99rubin" <jack.rubin@...>
          Subj: [midatlanticretro] Greetings from the Midwest
          Date: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:54 pm
          Size: 966 bytes
          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

          Hello to MARCH from VCF Midwest 4.0! We're having a grand time here at
          Purdue. The weather is good and the crowds are friendly. Too bad you're
          all at TCF this weekend; maybe someday we can figure out how to
          schedule events so that the few vintage happenings don't conflict.

          Best to all,
          Jack

        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2008
            I wanted to say thanks to everyone at MARCH for making it the only reason to show up to TCF.

            We had to leave early because Brian started to get tired and we didn't want to overwork him. But honestly the booth was the only reason to be there.

            Anyway cant wait till VCF East, I will start spreading the word.

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27, 2008

              We're gonna spread the word alittle too, here with the Pittsburgh contingent.
              There's a annual Hamfest here on June 1st, Breezehooters, it's the biggest next to Dayton.
              A couple of us get to setup a table for free with a few machines to show off.
              So we'll mention all about MARCH, InfoAge and VCF east too.

              The PDP-8 pics look good !

              =Dan

              Christian Liendo wrote:
              Anyway cant wait till VCF East, I will start spreading the word

            • Glenn Holmer
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 28, 2008
                On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 19:59 -0700, Christian Liendo wrote:
                > Anyway cant wait till VCF East, I will start spreading the word.

                When is that? There's nothing on their site (vintage.org).

                --
                "After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
                Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM) http://www.lyonlabs.org
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 28, 2008
                  Sept 13 2008...

                  Yea, please have someone update the website

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 28, 2008
                    I'll work on this week.