Re: Introduction

  • chrism3667
    Message 1 of 97 , Jul 3, 2005
      YO Dave! :)

      > As a hobbyist and collector I focus my attention on machines that
      > I've had a personal connection with in the past.

      Likewise, and I'm sure that goes for many of us on the list.

      >That means DEC machines primarily... I am also interested in Sun and
      >HP systems and I have a couple of systems that probably qualify in
      >some way as being vintage.

      I may actually be getting my Rainbow in another week or so. Probably
      not what you were referring to, but I'm primarily an Intel guy. Some
      peeps feel the early IBM-ish stuff isn't vintage, but I poopoo all
      that rot at every oppurtunity. I like Sun :). Even started a group
      for Sun and SGI stuff, but it's dead as a doornail presently LOL LOL.
      There was/is an HP-Apollo unit on ebay, but I'll hold off on
      something like that until I find one locally.

      >I finally decided to take this
      > on after several years of needing CS/80 disks and not having them,
      > and amongst HP collectors there appears to be some interest in
      having
      > this kind of package available as open source.

      As time allows, I'm interested in seeing what it would take to get
      Linux to run on an R10000 based Indigo 2. Not likely in my lifetime,
      but we'll see...

      >...I hope I can contribute to MARCH in some way that offsets the
      debt of
      > gratitude I owe the folks on classiccmp.

      you only owe us your participation. Consider all debts cancelled :).
    • Steven Toth
      Message 97 of 97 , Jul 12, 2015

        In 84, my father moved to the promised land, aka Silicon Valley, and
        while he did the executive thing with various hardware and software
        companies, I got heavily involved in the BBS scene (QuickBBS, shortly,
        and Remote Access for several years, also very active in FidoNet) and

        FidoNet! :) My first real email experience, I loved it. I remember getting a 'point' address of my fav BBS based in the UK, the Red Rose BBS (Lancashire).

        <snip>

        all my advanced students learn vi (I'm a vi bigot and I do realize this
        makes me a Bad Person). They all learn command line C followed by

        Not at all, I use vi daily. Personal preference. Nothing wrong with emacs either, although I prefer vi.

        <snip>

        So, long story short, I'm thrilled to be here and thanks for putting up
        with me!

        A great story, thanks for sharing.

        Welcome aboard!

        - Steve