Gas versus beer trade-off

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2008
      Sridhar,

      In the rational world, gas was cheaper than beer -- gas was 29 cents per gallon and beer was $1.29 a 6-pack (6 x 12oz = 2.25 quarts = $2.29 per gallon). I seem to recall some places selling Bud in quart bottles for 49 cents which would be only $1.96 per gallon. "High-test" beer, aka Colt45, was about 89 cents per quart.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2008
        > Sridhar,
        >
        > In the rational world, gas was cheaper than beer -- gas was 29 cents per gallon and beer was $1.29 a 6-pack (6 x 12oz = 2.25 quarts = $2.29 per gallon). I seem to recall some places selling Bud in quart bottles for 49 cents which would be only $1.96 per gallon. "High-test" beer, aka Colt45, was about 89 cents per quart.
        >
        > Jim

        If you brew your own alcohol just for gas (not taste), could it ever be worth it? Gas IS relatively cheap.
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2008
          Bill Degnan wrote:
          >> Sridhar,
          >>
          >> In the rational world, gas was cheaper than beer -- gas was 29 cents per gallon and beer was $1.29 a 6-pack (6 x 12oz = 2.25 quarts = $2.29 per gallon). I seem to recall some places selling Bud in quart bottles for 49 cents which would be only $1.96 per gallon. "High-test" beer, aka Colt45, was about 89 cents per quart.
          >>
          >> Jim
          >>

          > If you brew your own alcohol just for gas (not taste), could it ever be worth it? Gas IS relatively cheap.

          wah?! brew .. your own alcohol for *gas*?! eek! Those are double plus
          ungood thoughts! If you are going to all the trouble to brew and then
          cannot enjoy the fruits of your labour.. :(

          Cheers,

          Bryan
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25, 2008
            I've looked into it, but the stills needed are costly. I am thinking of putting together a hybrid car, when I have a load of money to toss

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25, 2008
              Bill,

              I agree. The only way to make your own transportation fuel seems to be collecting (and then filtering to purify) used frying fat (vegetable oil) from McDonalds and similar sources. Of course this  is a substitute for diesel fuel, not gasoline.

              Jim

              > In the rational world, gas was cheaper than beer -- gas was 29 cents per gallon and beer was $1.29 a 6-pack (6 x 12oz =
              2.25 quarts = $2.29 per gallon). I seem to recall some places selling Bud in quart bottles for 49 cents which would be only $1.96 per gallon. "High-test" beer, aka Colt45, was about 89 cents per quart.

              > Jim

              If you brew your own alcohol just for gas (not taste), could it ever be worth it?  Gas IS relatively cheap.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 25, 2008

                I didn't want to get off-topic here,
                I was only saying this stuff in jest---sometimes in life, you needn't be too serious--
                Relative is _always_ the key word.
                Milk costs more per gallon, but who drinks a gallon in a day ?

                I've been tinkering on the topic of alternative energy for a long while.
                It even influenced my daughter, and she has just won first prize in the PJAS science fair for Pittsburgh.
                It was for alternative energy sources by creating electricity from recycling wastewater.

                As far as beer is concerned, it doesn't have enough alcohol content, but ethanol does.
                And ethanol can be easily made nowadays,
                even for the hobbyist and without _corn_ or other plants,
                but with additional microorganisms.

                =Dan
                just having some fun