RE: [midatlanticretro] New member

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2005
      Liam,

      Welcome to our group.  I highly recommend that you get a copy of Don Lancaster's book "TV Typewriter Cookbook".

      - Evan

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2005
        Welcome to the list Liam.

        >The homebrew machines on the TTL computer webring are fascinating to
        >me. I hope to someday be skilled enough to
        > design and build one.

        I'd like to design and bulid a single board puter one of these days,
        but I'd settle for just building. I acquired an old issue of Radio
        Electronics which describes the construction of a robot brain, based
        on an 80188 uP. It's basically IBM compatible as far as I can gather,
        but the only firmware I was successful in obtaining was the FORTH
        interpreter ROM. It was actually manufactured by Vesta tech. still in
        business, and it would be nice to obtain one of those. Someone in
        Brazil had something similar, but he wanted an astronomical sum for
        it.

        > I try to be more of a hobbyist than a collector. But sometimes I'm
        > weak. Below is a rough list of what I have. I'd be happy to share
        any
        > knowledge I have aquired.

        Frankly I'm insulted by the notion of weakness. I don't feel that I
        should be considered weak because I'm willing to drive across
        multiple states, put off eating, sleeping, and bathing to obtain
        vintage puters. I think rather that makes me strong, powerful even.
      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2005
          If you send me some sort of SASE with anti-spatic bags I will mail you some
          80188's. I have them on multi-bus cards. I have 18. Don't have any plans for
          them won't miss a couple to give away.
          Bill

          In a message dated 7/3/2005 8:09:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          chrism3667@... writes:

          > I'd like to design and bulid a single board puter one of these days,
          > but I'd settle for just building. I acquired an old issue of Radio
          > Electronics which describes the construction of a robot brain, based
          > on an 80188 uP. It's basically IBM compatible as far as I can gather,
          > but the only firmware I was successful in obtaining was the FORTH
          > interpreter ROM. It was actually manufactured by Vesta tech. still in
          > business, and it would be nice to obtain one of those. Someone in
          > Brazil had something similar, but he wanted an astronomical sum for
          > it.
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2005
            Bill...I in no way mind paying you for the boards (as
            many as youre willing to part with) and postage. I can
            borrow a.s bags from items that are just hanging
            around. If youre going to be around this weekend,
            theres a high chance Im going by your way. If not, Ill
            send you bags and some moola-shmoola.
            --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <billdeg@...>
            wrote:
            > If you send me some sort of SASE with anti-spatic
            bags I will mail you some
            > 80188's. I have them on multi-bus cards. I have
            18. Don't have any plans for
            > them won't miss a couple to give away.
            > Bill

            Standard Time,
            > chrism3667@... writes:
            >
            > > I'd like to design and bulid a single board puter
            one of these days,
            > > but I'd settle for just building. I acquired an
            old issue of Radio
            > > Electronics which describes the construction of a
            robot brain, based
            > > on an 80188 uP. It's basically IBM compatible as
            far as I can gather,
            > > but the only firmware I was successful in
            obtaining was the FORTH
            > > interpreter ROM. It was actually manufactured by
            Vesta tech. still in
            > > business, and it would be nice to obtain one of
            those. Someone in
            > > Brazil had something similar, but he wanted an
            astronomical sum for
            > > it.

            Yahoo! Sports
            http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
          • Liam Busey
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2005
              > Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:07:55 -0000
              > From: "chrism3667" <chrism3667@...>
              > Subject: Re: New member
              >
              > Welcome to the list Liam.
              >
              > >The homebrew machines on the TTL computer webring
              > are fascinating to
              > >me. I hope to someday be skilled enough to
              > > design and build one.
              >
              > I'd like to design and bulid a single board puter
              > one of these days,
              > but I'd settle for just building. I acquired an old
              > issue of Radio
              > Electronics which describes the construction of a
              > robot brain, based
              > on an 80188 uP. It's basically IBM compatible as far
              > as I can gather,
              > but the only firmware I was successful in obtaining
              > was the FORTH
              > interpreter ROM. It was actually manufactured by
              > Vesta tech. still in
              > business, and it would be nice to obtain one of
              > those. Someone in
              > Brazil had something similar, but he wanted an
              > astronomical sum for
              > it.

              Sounds interesting. I was thinking more along the
              lines of building a simple CPU but systems are cool
              too. Here's a link to a zx80 clone that I'm half
              tempted to construct. It's not a kit but is made from
              common off the shelf parts.

              <home.micros.users.btopenworld.com/zx80/zx80.html>

              The nice thing about zx80s is that once you're done
              tinkering with them they make the world's finest door
              stops. ;)

              > > I try to be more of a hobbyist than a collector.
              > But sometimes I'm
              > > weak. Below is a rough list of what I have. I'd be
              > happy to share
              > any
              > > knowledge I have aquired.
              >
              > Frankly I'm insulted by the notion of weakness. I
              > don't feel that I
              > should be considered weak because I'm willing to
              > drive across
              > multiple states, put off eating, sleeping, and
              > bathing to obtain
              > vintage puters. I think rather that makes me strong,
              > powerful even.

              Uh oh, a single post to MARCH and I'm in trouble
              already. ;)

              Seriously, don't feel insulted. The comment was
              directed at myself. Sometimes I find myself
              accumulating more than tinkering. I try to avoid that
              but sometimes the toys are just too shiny. Your
              self-restraint may be better.

              Liam

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2005

                Liam Busey <buseyl@...> wrote:

                >The nice thing about zx80s is that once you're done
                >tinkering with them they make the world's finest door
                >stops. ;)

                Now now, you'd be surprised how useful some doorstops can be. Loads of 8-bit sbc apps are out there doing yeoman's service.

                If I weren't preoccupied with building something based on a (16 bit) Intel chip, I'd probably go for a 6800 myself. Then again I suppose you could pull apart a COCO and play with/modify that (6809 uP).

                >Uh oh, a single post to MARCH and I'm in trouble
                >already. ;)

                >Seriously, don't feel insulted. The comment was
                >directed at myself. Sometimes I find myself
                >accumulating more than tinkering. I try to avoid that
                >but sometimes the toys are just too shiny. Your
                >self-restraint may be better.

                Nah, no trouble, it's just my loopy sense of humore at work. And as to this restraint thing...gimme a minute to look it up...

                Nooooooope, I ain't got none of that! Although I would have to say most people on this list have more puters than I do, I leap at the oppurtunity to add to my junkpi...uh collection. I aim to get alot of tinkering done too, but at this present time I lack the space and time to "set up" for all my nefarious experiments. Muahahahahahaha.

                Yahoo! Sports
              • billdeg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                  that's fine; or bring a trade of your choice.
                  bd

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                    What the hell is this!?  Yahoo is putting "sponsored links" into our emails, based on the content!?!?!?

                    chrism3667@... writes:

                    > Bill...I in no way mind paying you
                    for the boards (as
                    >  many as youre willing to part with) and
                    postage. I can
                    >  borrow a.s bags from items that are just
                    hanging
                    >  around. If youre going to be around this
                    weekend,
                    >  theres a high chance Im going by your way. If not,
                    Ill
                    >  send you bags and some moola-shmoola.

                    Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
                    Computer trainingSwap meet
                  • Bill Sudbrink
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                      I don't seem to be receiving them that way.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                        Hmm, it happened today for the first time, but didn't appear in the two test messages I just sent.

                        The concept of tailoring ads based on a message's content is quite controversial.  I wonder if Yahoo is doing some random tests.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                          The message from Bill Degnan that you quoted below did not arrive in my inbox in that format.
                          Something must have happened between the list server and you inbox.

                          Bill S.

                          chrism3667@... writes:

                          > Bill...I in no way mind paying you for the boards (as
                          >  many as youre willing to part with) and postage. I can
                          >  borrow a.s bags from items that are just hanging
                          >  around. If youre going to be around this weekend,
                          >  theres a high chance Im going by your way. If not, Ill
                          >  send you bags and some moola-shmoola.

                          Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
                          Computer trainingSwap meet

                          Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
                          Computer trainingSwap meet
                        • chrism3667
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 6, 2005
                            > Acorn BBC B x2 (PAL)
                            > Acorn BBC Master (PAL)

                            Very interesting, although the BBC project if you will smacked of
                            communism lol. I like alot of English puters, and if shipping wasn't
                            so attrocious, I might actually own a few! I really really want a
                            Research Machines Nimbus, among some Apricot machines. Sigh.
                          • Liam Busey
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 7, 2005
                              > Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 06:19:54 -0000
                              > From: "chrism3667" <chrism3667@...>
                              > Subject: Re: New member
                              >
                              > > Acorn BBC B x2 (PAL)
                              > > Acorn BBC Master (PAL)
                              >
                              > Very interesting, although the BBC project if you
                              > will smacked of
                              > communism lol. I like alot of English puters, and if
                              > shipping wasn't
                              > so attrocious, I might actually own a few! I really
                              > really want a
                              > Research Machines Nimbus, among some Apricot
                              > machines. Sigh.

                              English computers are interesting. They seem to have
                              had many unique platforms that never really escaped
                              their shores.

                              Liam

                              http://auctions.yahoo.com/