Latest on Trenton

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2008
      Message
      Here is the latest list I have of who is going and on which days.

      Me (Evan) - both days
      Andy - both days
      Joe - Saturday, and maybe Sun. afternoon
      Kelly - Saturday
      Bill Degnan - Saturday
      Bill Dudley - maybe Saturday
      Jim S. - Sunday
      David G. - Saturday
      Bob G. (will visit us Sat. ... will your partner-in-crime Bob A. be around too?)
      Chris L. (will visit us Sat. w/ Brian C.)
      John A. - ?????
      Bryan - both days? (Bryan, please confirm, I forget what you said on the phone tonight)

      Sounds like we will have at least eight people on Saturday, and possibly just three people on Sunday.

      Tomorrow I will call the MarketPro folks to make sure they have all of the above names on the "volunteers" list.  So, if you're going and want to get in free, then let me know by tomorrow mid-day.

      And presumably we will be visited by Herb, Frank O'Brien, Claude, etc. .....

      Regarding the PDP-8 .... David G. will help us Sat. morning.  He is meeting me and Bryan at Claude's house.  We still need a fourth person who can promise to help us at 7am Saturday in Hopewell, N.J. (a few miles north of the college where TCF is held).  I hope to get this sorted out tomorrow, because I don't want to scramble and panic this weekend.  (Claude cannot help move the computer because of his age and health.)

      Frank O., check your voicemail ... you live nearby and are going to Trenton anyhow that morning ....

      Meanwhile, Saturday night, I hope that everyone who's around can join us at H.I. Rib & Co., located at #145 Rt. 31 North, Pennington N.J. ... there are other restaurants cheaper / closer / less busy ... but we have a tradition to uphold!  This will be the fourth year of MARCH @ Trenton, and every year we dined at H.I. Rib & Co. on Saturday night.  The show closes at 5pm that day so let's all plan to meet at the restaurant at 6:00.  All "Friends of MARCH" are invited!

      Other pre-Trenton tasks on my own to-do list: tomorrow night: pack (I'm staying at a local hotel Sat. night), wash my MARCH shirts.  :)   Friday night: go to InfoAge, get banner, get PVC supports, go to Home Depot, get connector and two-part crossbar because the large support doesn't fit in my car, go to Kinko's to have a bunch of flyers printed ... get Atari 2600, TV ... perhaps a few computers too (I'm thinking the Apple //e, maybe something quirky like the Friden calculator, perhaps an AT&T 3B2 now that it's working.  Might also bring the framed ENIAC photograph and an easel for it.

      Anyone else have suggestions on what I should bring from InfoAge?   I do NOT plan to bring the Altair this year because it's finally running and cutter-ing and everything else-ing ... we don't need too many paws on it (like mine, for example).

    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Here is the latest list I have of who is going and on which days.
        >
        > Me (Evan) - both days
        > Andy - both days
        > Joe - Saturday, and maybe Sun. afternoon
        > Kelly - Saturday
        > Bill Degnan - Saturday
        > Bill Dudley - maybe Saturday
        > Jim S. - Sunday
        > David G. - Saturday
        > Bob G. (will visit us Sat. ... will your partner-in-crime Bob A. be
        > around too?)
        > Chris L. (will visit us Sat. w/ Brian C.)
        > John A. - ?????
        > Bryan - both days? (Bryan, please confirm, I forget what you said on
        > the phone tonight)

        Evan,

        I plan to be there both days and to bring the MARCH PET 2001..
        Everything works except for the tape drive.. :)

        > Sounds like we will have at least eight people on Saturday, and
        > possibly just three people on Sunday.
        >
        > Tomorrow I will call the MarketPro folks to make sure they have all of
        > the above names on the "volunteers" list. So, if you're going and
        > want to get in free, then let me know by tomorrow mid-day.
        >
        > And presumably we will be visited by Herb, Frank O'Brien, Claude, etc.
        >
        > Regarding the PDP-8 .... David G. will help us Sat. morning. He is
        > meeting me and Bryan at Claude's house. We still need a fourth person
        > who can promise to help us at 7am Saturday in Hopewell, N.J. (a few
        > miles north of the college where TCF is held). I hope to get this
        > sorted out tomorrow, because I don't want to scramble and panic this
        > weekend. (Claude cannot help move the computer because of his age and
        > health.)

        It is always fun to watch you panic... NOT! :p

        > Frank O., check your voicemail ... you live nearby and are going to
        > Trenton anyhow that morning ....
        >
        > Meanwhile, Saturday night, I hope that everyone who's around can join
        > us at H.I. Rib & Co., located at #145 Rt. 31 North, Pennington N.J.
        > ... there are other restaurants cheaper / closer / less busy ... but
        > we have a tradition to uphold! This will be the fourth year of MARCH
        > @ Trenton, and every year we dined at H.I. Rib & Co. on Saturday
        > night. The show closes at 5pm that day so let's all plan to meet at
        > the restaurant at 6:00. All "Friends of MARCH" are invited!

        And they have great food and good service, IMHO! Hopefully we will
        again be entertained by the sounds of Bill D.! Dan R., I believe you
        made a video of that event, is it still posted somewhere?

        Cheers,

        Bryan
        > Other pre-Trenton tasks on my own to-do list: tomorrow night: pack
        > (I'm staying at a local hotel Sat. night), wash my MARCH shirts. :)
        > Friday night: go to InfoAge, get banner, get PVC supports, go to Home
        > Depot, get connector and two-part crossbar because the large support
        > doesn't fit in my car, go to Kinko's to have a bunch of flyers
        > printed ... get Atari 2600, TV ... perhaps a few computers too (I'm
        > thinking the Apple //e, maybe something quirky like the Friden
        > calculator, perhaps an AT&T 3B2 now that it's working. Might also
        > bring the framed ENIAC photograph and an easel for it.
        >
        > Anyone else have suggestions on what I should bring from InfoAge? I
        > do NOT plan to bring the Altair this year because it's finally running
        > and cutter-ing and everything else-ing ... we don't need too many paws
        > on it (like mine, for example).

      • Bob Applegate

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008

            Bryan Pope wrote:
            Dan R., I believe you
            made a video of that event, is it still posted somewhere?

            Cheers,

            Bryan

            wish I could be there
            I got Beer money,
            but not enough gas money  :(

            last year's TCF is on YouTube now
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Ragooman

            I'll be back --in June-- [@InfoAge]

            =Dan
            if we could only make an engine that runs on beer...then it would solve everything

          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
              Dan Roganti wrote:

              > Bryan Pope wrote:
              >> Dan R., I believe you
              >> made a video of that event, is it still posted somewhere?
              >>
              >> Cheers,
              >>
              >> Bryan
              >>

              > wish I could be there
              > I got Beer money,
              > but not enough gas money :(
              At $3.50/gallon of gas and with a vehicle running at 25 MPG, just for
              the gas that is $0.14 per mile. It is approximately 325 miles from
              Pittsburgh, PA to Trenton, NJ, so that is a 650 mile round trip and
              costs $91.00 in gas. At $16.00 for a case of 24 Budweiser's, that works
              out to almost 6 cases or about 1 beer every 4 miles.. That is a *LOT* of
              beer to get to Trenton and back again! :)

              > last year's TCF is on YouTube now
              > http://www.youtube.com/user/Ragooman
              In one of the vids it looks like you started filming just as Bill D.
              finished his musical interlude.. But it looks like Evan recorded this
              monumental event. So Evan, are you going to share?

              Cheers!,

              Bryan

              > I'll be back --in June-- [@InfoAge]
              >
              > =Dan
              > if we could only make an engine that runs on beer...then it would
              > solve everything

              But then there would be less beer to drink!!!!!! !!!
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
                Dan Roganti wrote:
                > if we could only make an engine that runs on beer...then it would solve
                > everything

                I'm pretty sure it would be possible, but beer is more expensive than gas.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Bryan Pope
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
                  Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                  > Dan Roganti wrote:
                  >
                  >> if we could only make an engine that runs on beer...then it would solve
                  >> everything
                  >>

                  > I'm pretty sure it would be possible, but beer is more expensive than gas.

                  Not with American beer.. Why? Just ask the Monty Python troupe.... ;)

                  Cheers,

                  Bryan
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
                    Bryan Pope wrote:
                    At $16.00 for a case of 24 Budweiser's, that works
                    out to almost 6 cases or about 1 beer every 4 miles.. That is a *LOT* of
                    beer to get to Trenton and back again!  :)

                    I couldn't drive that far after 6 cases of beer.
                    oh wait, I'm supposed to bring it first :)

                    In one of the vids it looks like you started filming just as Bill D.
                    finished his musical interlude..  But it looks like Evan recorded this
                    monumental event.  So Evan, are you going to share?

                    That was Evan looking at the video playback on Herb's camera.
                    Maybe Herb has the recording.

                    if we could only make an engine that runs on beer...then it would
                    solve everything

                    But then there would be less beer to drink!!!!!! !!!

                    doh !

                  • Ray Sills
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 25, 2008
                      The sad truth is that, except for water, gasoline is still the
                      cheapest fluid you can buy.

                      73 de Ray

                    • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 29, 2008
                        Only because of the taxes. Create a rather soupy cereal of whatever grain
                        is local and let it rot. It becomes some sort of beer. Obviously, you
                        can do better with a clean containment unit and chosen yeast.
                        bs