New member

  • buseyl
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2005
      Hello all, I'm new to the list. My name is Liam Busey and I live in
      Annapolis, MD.

      I'm presently 26 years old. I grew up with MSDOS at home and Apple II
      computers at school. I find modern machines almost magical in their
      capabilities but less interesting than a toaster.

      I'm a tinker. I like simple machines without a lot of custom chips or
      overly complex operating systems without source code. Something that
      a single person can understand intuitively. I'm mainly into 8bit
      Apple II computers (the ][/ ][+ in particular) but would be
      interested in learning about old minis made from common parts ( pdp8?
      novas? unibus pdp11?). The homebrew machines on the TTL computer
      webring are fascinating to me. I hope to someday be skilled enough to
      design and build one.

      I try to be more of a hobbyist than a collector. But sometimes I'm
      weak. Below is a rough list of what I have. I'd be happy to share any
      knowledge I have aquired.

      Acorn BBC B x2 (PAL)
      Acorn BBC Master (PAL)

      Amiga 1200

      Apple ][ rev 0
      Apple ][+ RFI
      Apple ][+ clones motherboards x5
      Apple //e
      Apple //c
      Franklin Ace 2200
      Apple IIgs ROM1 x2
      Apple IIgs ROM3 x2
      Apple IIgs Upgrade (a IIgs in a //e case)
      Apple Cortland (late IIgs prototype)

      Atari 400

      Commodore 64
      Commodore 65 (missing a few chips. presumed wall hanger)
      Commodore Plus/4

      Compaq 2 (luggable)
      HP100lx
      Sharp PC3000
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2005
        Liam,

        Welcome to our group.  I highly recommend that you get a copy of Don Lancaster's book "TV Typewriter Cookbook".

        - Evan

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2005
          Welcome to the list Liam.

          >The homebrew machines on the TTL computer webring are fascinating to
          >me. I hope to someday be skilled enough to
          > design and build one.

          I'd like to design and bulid a single board puter one of these days,
          but I'd settle for just building. I acquired an old issue of Radio
          Electronics which describes the construction of a robot brain, based
          on an 80188 uP. It's basically IBM compatible as far as I can gather,
          but the only firmware I was successful in obtaining was the FORTH
          interpreter ROM. It was actually manufactured by Vesta tech. still in
          business, and it would be nice to obtain one of those. Someone in
          Brazil had something similar, but he wanted an astronomical sum for
          it.

          > I try to be more of a hobbyist than a collector. But sometimes I'm
          > weak. Below is a rough list of what I have. I'd be happy to share
          any
          > knowledge I have aquired.

          Frankly I'm insulted by the notion of weakness. I don't feel that I
          should be considered weak because I'm willing to drive across
          multiple states, put off eating, sleeping, and bathing to obtain
          vintage puters. I think rather that makes me strong, powerful even.
        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2005
            If you send me some sort of SASE with anti-spatic bags I will mail you some
            80188's. I have them on multi-bus cards. I have 18. Don't have any plans for
            them won't miss a couple to give away.
            Bill

            In a message dated 7/3/2005 8:09:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            chrism3667@... writes:

            > I'd like to design and bulid a single board puter one of these days,
            > but I'd settle for just building. I acquired an old issue of Radio
            > Electronics which describes the construction of a robot brain, based
            > on an 80188 uP. It's basically IBM compatible as far as I can gather,
            > but the only firmware I was successful in obtaining was the FORTH
            > interpreter ROM. It was actually manufactured by Vesta tech. still in
            > business, and it would be nice to obtain one of those. Someone in
            > Brazil had something similar, but he wanted an astronomical sum for
            > it.
          • Chris M
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2005
              Bill...I in no way mind paying you for the boards (as
              many as youre willing to part with) and postage. I can
              borrow a.s bags from items that are just hanging
              around. If youre going to be around this weekend,
              theres a high chance Im going by your way. If not, Ill
              send you bags and some moola-shmoola.
              --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <billdeg@...>
              wrote:
              > If you send me some sort of SASE with anti-spatic
              bags I will mail you some
              > 80188's. I have them on multi-bus cards. I have
              18. Don't have any plans for
              > them won't miss a couple to give away.
              > Bill

              Standard Time,
              > chrism3667@... writes:
              >
              > > I'd like to design and bulid a single board puter
              one of these days,
              > > but I'd settle for just building. I acquired an
              old issue of Radio
              > > Electronics which describes the construction of a
              robot brain, based
              > > on an 80188 uP. It's basically IBM compatible as
              far as I can gather,
              > > but the only firmware I was successful in
              obtaining was the FORTH
              > > interpreter ROM. It was actually manufactured by
              Vesta tech. still in
              > > business, and it would be nice to obtain one of
              those. Someone in
              > > Brazil had something similar, but he wanted an
              astronomical sum for
              > > it.

              Yahoo! Sports
              http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
            • Liam Busey
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2005
                > Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:07:55 -0000
                > From: "chrism3667" <chrism3667@...>
                > Subject: Re: New member
                >
                > Welcome to the list Liam.
                >
                > >The homebrew machines on the TTL computer webring
                > are fascinating to
                > >me. I hope to someday be skilled enough to
                > > design and build one.
                >
                > I'd like to design and bulid a single board puter
                > one of these days,
                > but I'd settle for just building. I acquired an old
                > issue of Radio
                > Electronics which describes the construction of a
                > robot brain, based
                > on an 80188 uP. It's basically IBM compatible as far
                > as I can gather,
                > but the only firmware I was successful in obtaining
                > was the FORTH
                > interpreter ROM. It was actually manufactured by
                > Vesta tech. still in
                > business, and it would be nice to obtain one of
                > those. Someone in
                > Brazil had something similar, but he wanted an
                > astronomical sum for
                > it.

                Sounds interesting. I was thinking more along the
                lines of building a simple CPU but systems are cool
                too. Here's a link to a zx80 clone that I'm half
                tempted to construct. It's not a kit but is made from
                common off the shelf parts.

                <home.micros.users.btopenworld.com/zx80/zx80.html>

                The nice thing about zx80s is that once you're done
                tinkering with them they make the world's finest door
                stops. ;)

                > > I try to be more of a hobbyist than a collector.
                > But sometimes I'm
                > > weak. Below is a rough list of what I have. I'd be
                > happy to share
                > any
                > > knowledge I have aquired.
                >
                > Frankly I'm insulted by the notion of weakness. I
                > don't feel that I
                > should be considered weak because I'm willing to
                > drive across
                > multiple states, put off eating, sleeping, and
                > bathing to obtain
                > vintage puters. I think rather that makes me strong,
                > powerful even.

                Uh oh, a single post to MARCH and I'm in trouble
                already. ;)

                Seriously, don't feel insulted. The comment was
                directed at myself. Sometimes I find myself
                accumulating more than tinkering. I try to avoid that
                but sometimes the toys are just too shiny. Your
                self-restraint may be better.

                Liam

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Chris M
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2005

                  Liam Busey <buseyl@...> wrote:

                  >The nice thing about zx80s is that once you're done
                  >tinkering with them they make the world's finest door
                  >stops. ;)

                  Now now, you'd be surprised how useful some doorstops can be. Loads of 8-bit sbc apps are out there doing yeoman's service.

                  If I weren't preoccupied with building something based on a (16 bit) Intel chip, I'd probably go for a 6800 myself. Then again I suppose you could pull apart a COCO and play with/modify that (6809 uP).

                  >Uh oh, a single post to MARCH and I'm in trouble
                  >already. ;)

                  >Seriously, don't feel insulted. The comment was
                  >directed at myself. Sometimes I find myself
                  >accumulating more than tinkering. I try to avoid that
                  >but sometimes the toys are just too shiny. Your
                  >self-restraint may be better.

                  Nah, no trouble, it's just my loopy sense of humore at work. And as to this restraint thing...gimme a minute to look it up...

                  Nooooooope, I ain't got none of that! Although I would have to say most people on this list have more puters than I do, I leap at the oppurtunity to add to my junkpi...uh collection. I aim to get alot of tinkering done too, but at this present time I lack the space and time to "set up" for all my nefarious experiments. Muahahahahahaha.

                  Yahoo! Sports
                • billdeg@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                    that's fine; or bring a trade of your choice.
                    bd

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                      What the hell is this!?  Yahoo is putting "sponsored links" into our emails, based on the content!?!?!?

                      chrism3667@... writes:

                      > Bill...I in no way mind paying you
                      for the boards (as
                      >  many as youre willing to part with) and
                      postage. I can
                      >  borrow a.s bags from items that are just
                      hanging
                      >  around. If youre going to be around this
                      weekend,
                      >  theres a high chance Im going by your way. If not,
                      Ill
                      >  send you bags and some moola-shmoola.

                      Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
                      Computer trainingSwap meet
                    • Bill Sudbrink
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                        I don't seem to be receiving them that way.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                          Hmm, it happened today for the first time, but didn't appear in the two test messages I just sent.

                          The concept of tailoring ads based on a message's content is quite controversial.  I wonder if Yahoo is doing some random tests.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
                            The message from Bill Degnan that you quoted below did not arrive in my inbox in that format.
                            Something must have happened between the list server and you inbox.

                            Bill S.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 6, 2005
                              > Acorn BBC B x2 (PAL)
                              > Acorn BBC Master (PAL)

                              Very interesting, although the BBC project if you will smacked of
                              communism lol. I like alot of English puters, and if shipping wasn't
                              so attrocious, I might actually own a few! I really really want a
                              Research Machines Nimbus, among some Apricot machines. Sigh.
                            • Liam Busey
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 7, 2005
                                > Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 06:19:54 -0000
                                > From: "chrism3667" <chrism3667@...>
                                > Subject: Re: New member
                                >
                                > > Acorn BBC B x2 (PAL)
                                > > Acorn BBC Master (PAL)
                                >
                                > Very interesting, although the BBC project if you
                                > will smacked of
                                > communism lol. I like alot of English puters, and if
                                > shipping wasn't
                                > so attrocious, I might actually own a few! I really
                                > really want a
                                > Research Machines Nimbus, among some Apricot
                                > machines. Sigh.

                                English computers are interesting. They seem to have
                                had many unique platforms that never really escaped
                                their shores.

                                Liam

                                http://auctions.yahoo.com/