Productive day at InfoAge

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2008
      Message
      Today I had a late start and didn't get to InfoAge until about 2:30.  I was pleasantly surprised to see Herb there.  He arrived shortly before me to drop off some Mac tech manuals and to check on the PDP-11/20.  Then, a few minutes later, Jeff J. showed up also to drop off some supplies.  So we had an impromptu MARCH work day.

      Mostly we organized much of the basement storage room (which Joe, John A., and I started doing a few weeks ago).

      We now have about 60% of the computers in basement storage room #2 neatly organized.  (Room #1 down there has all of the bigger things and is still a mess.)  Herb took some pictures that we'll try to post soon.

      For those who haven't seen it, one whole wall of our second basement storage room has large wooden shelves.  Each shelf is (I'm estimating) about four feet long, about two feet high, and about two and a half feet deep.  The wall is three shelves tall by about seven or eight shelves wide.

      We now have: three whole shelves devoted to Commodore gear, with a fourth to come soon; two for Osborne; two for Apple; one for Atari; one for Tandy; and one for IBM. Probably another whole shelf or two will be dedicated to DEC, and of course we'll have two or three shelves marked as "miscellaneous".  The layout of the room makes it difficult to get good photos but hopefully Herb's will convey just how much we have.

      This is a very good interim step on the way to making a full catalog of everything in MARCH's domain.  When we're done with this project, rather than a cataloging effort being overwhelming, we can just tell someone "catalog the Apple shelves" or whatever.  This will also make it much easier for us to FIND everything, rather than our basement rooms being totally chaotic.

      And for the record, at last count, we have FIFTEEN of those rascally Commodore 64s -- 13 in storage, one on display in our preview room, and one being displayed at my office (just to make colleagues ask about it!).  And don't even get me started on the Commodore disk drives and 5.25 floppies!  I've now got Fred, Steve, and others at InfoAge trained to decline just about everything from Commodore on our behalf.  :)

      I've got to say that organizing all this stuff today was very, very satisfying.  I'm looking forward to getting back to the project soon.  It's one of those things where it really feels like we * accomplished * something useful and important.  When it's finished we can show this off on our web site.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2008
        Great to hear.
        bd

        <snip>