Re: [midatlanticretro] Boston road trip

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
      Evan,

      Hey, I wish I could go along too,
      but I have several things going on here that I have to get ready.
      I thought everyone might be interested in looking at this,
      it was a post from another group that I saved.
      It's about visiting the various surplus stores in that area.
      http://www.kkn.net/archives/html/QRP-L/2002-07/msg02232.html

      Dan

      Evan wrote:
      Okay, that's one vote.   :)

      The MIT Swapfest is held on the third Sunday of each month, April-October -- sorry, I should've mentioned that before.  Those dates are Aug. 21 and Sept. 25.  Since the Harvard department is a weekdays-only thing, that rules out a one-night stay if we're going to do both.  (We could still see Harvard's Mark 1 on a weekend, since it's in a public space, but we'd miss the private collections tour.  That option might be a good compromise to see as much as possible in as little time as possible.)

      Here's a *sample* itinerary:

      Saturday:
      - Meet up somewhere in NJ very early in the morning (maybe 6-ish), drive up to CT, meet up with Jim Scheef, continue on...
      - About another 1.5 hours to Boston, as we approach from the south, stop at You-Do-It Electronics (they open at 9AM)
      - Drive to Cambridge (about 20 minutes north of YDI), check in to hotel
      - Visit the MIT Museum and Cambridge's trio of incredible bookstores (Quantum Books, MIT Press Bookstore, MIT Coop) -- nerd heaven

      Sunday:
      - check out the MIT Swapfest (starts at 9AM)
      - have lunch, then drive down to RI (about an hour)
      - visit RI Computer Museum
      - go home

      As for lodging, as witnessed at TCF, I'm a Red Roof Inn ("frugal") kind of guy, except for business trips, when it's someone else's money!  LOL, there are plenty of decent, budget places (Holiday Inn, Sheraton, etc.) in Cambridge/Boston.  Everything is either within easy walking distance or just one or two subway stops apart.