Not official yet ... PDP-8

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 14, 2008
      Message
      There is a good chance that MARCH will have a PDP-8 --- transistorized first model, early serial number!! -- to display at Trenton and then to go into our collection.

      This is the computer used by the RESISTORS club of high school students in the 1960s in the Princeton, N.J. area: www.resistors.org ... I got the news about it from Claude Kagan who's been generous to MARCH before (IBM 026, Western Electric tape drive, Univac printer -- and he's got plenty more amazing things.)

      Myself, Steve, and some of InfoAge's hired hands will (tentatively) pick this up the Saturday morning of Trenton (April 26).  Claude says it needs four people to move it.  Includes an ASR-33 and software on paper tape.

      Obviously we'll put this immediately on display for our September opening, as-is.  Claude has various posters explaining its significance in addition to what's on the web site linked above.
    • Sellam Ismail
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 15, 2008
        On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > This is the computer used by the RESISTORS club of high school students
        > in the 1960s in the Princeton, N.J. area: www.resistors.org
        > <http://www.resistors.org/> ... I got the news about it from Claude
        > Kagan who's been generous to MARCH before (IBM 026, Western Electric
        > tape drive, Univac printer -- and he's got plenty more amazing things.)

        Good old Claude.

        > Myself, Steve, and some of InfoAge's hired hands will (tentatively) pick
        > this up the Saturday morning of Trenton (April 26). Claude says it
        > needs four people to move it. Includes an ASR-33 and software on paper
        > tape.

        I've moved mine myself (with a cart). But based on my experience of
        moving it myself (on a cart), I would recommend the four people.
        Especially on a decline.

        > Obviously we'll put this immediately on display for our September
        > opening, as-is. Claude has various posters explaining its significance
        > in addition to what's on the web site linked above.

        Very cool. And another straight-8 to add to my registry ;)

        --

        Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

      • jack99rubin
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 15, 2008

          > There is a good chance that MARCH will have a PDP-8 ---
          transistorized first
          > model, early serial number!! -- to display at Trenton and then to
          go into
          > our collection.
          >
          > This is the computer used by the RESISTORS club of high school
          students in
          > the 1960s in the Princeton, N.J. area: www.resistors.org
          > <http://www.resistors.org/> ... I got the news about it from
          Claude Kagan
          > who's been generous to MARCH before (IBM 026, Western Electric tape
          drive,
          > Univac printer -- and he's got plenty more amazing things.)
          >
          > Myself, Steve, and some of InfoAge's hired hands will (tentatively)
          pick
          > this up the Saturday morning of Trenton (April 26). Claude says it
          needs
          > four people to move it. Includes an ASR-33 and software on paper
          tape.

          > Obviously we'll put this immediately on display for our September
          opening,
          > as-is. Claude has various posters explaining its significance in
          addition
          > to what's on the web site linked above.

          Excellent - but beware! Be sure to take flashlights and boots. Unless
          someone has helped him get things organized, you will find the 8
          scattered in pieces in the barn and in a very sorry state. The "good"
          news is that he has screwed carry-handles to the base to make it a
          bit easier to carry.

          Please take a decent camera and try to document the rest of the stuff
          in his barn, including the Burroughs mainframe. If nothing else, it
          will make a great poster. Various RESISTORs are still in the area and
          try to keep an eye on Claude who is certainly worthy of celebration
          as a New Jersey "resource". If you aren't already aware of his work
          at Bell Labs, his paper on the Home Reckoner and the creation of SAM-
          76, you need to talk with him and consider an oral history. MARCH
          owes yet another debt to Herb for his work with Claude.

          And be CAREFULL (EVAN) - the nice winding road leading out to
          Claude's farm is a well-known radar speed trap!

          Jack
        • John Allain
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 15, 2008
            This would be worth my planning to arrive at infoAge _Friday morning_
            and doing some _simple_ restoration of the '8 there before moving it again
            to TCF. If you can work the schedule that way. I'm also an able lifter.

            > I would recommend the four people.
            > Especially on a decline.

            Point.

            John A.
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 15, 2008
              Thanks for offering, but the rescue needs to be Sat. because we need Steve
              and his van ... Steve has a day job like the rest of us.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 16, 2008
                Jack Rubin posted some comments about Claude Kagan and his collection.
                I'm sure Jack meant well. But let me remind you and others, that the
                MARCH mail list is *public*, available and readable by anyone,
                including myself, including Claude. Consider his privacy, and use
                discretion in discussions about people's activities and their homes.

                The RESISTOR's PDP-8 strikes me as being in reasonable shape, but in
                any event MARCH will I presume work with Claude about it. I've had no
                role in this donation, other than being a friend of Claude's. MARCH
                has Claude to thank, not me. MARCH would do well to work with Claude,
                as I have and still do, on projects of mutual interest including "Camp
                Evans" activities which Claude knows first-hand. CLaude is scheduled
                for talks at the Trenton Computer Fest again this year.

                The "Home Reckoner", which my friend and colleage Jack mentioned, is a
                classic and early 1973 article about computing technology; Claude
                still gives talks about it. A Web search for it found this reference,
                and a copy of it in .DOC form is there.

                http://web.njit.edu/~turoff/

                Herb Johnson
                another "old" guy
                retrotechnology.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 16, 2008
                  Claude will probably lecture at our VCF this year. After he talks, we can
                  invite the audience to walk down the hall and SEE the PDP-8 in question
                  (which we'll exhibit as-in at Trenton in a couple of weeks ... hopefully
                  sands mouse poop or mouses per se).

                  Thanks for the Reckoner link, I'll read that tonight.

                  >>> Consider his privacy, and use discretion in discussions about people's
                  activities and their homes

                  Good point.

                • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 19, 2008
                    This may be a dumb question but was there a militrized version of
                    the PDP-8? If so, it might be possible to get truly excellent
                    trouble shooting pubs for the thing. The nice thing about a
                    piece of that age is that it is repairable with off the shelf
                    parts.
                    bs

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 19, 2008
                      There were all kinds. There was even a version that was adapted to go into
                      a large farm tractor (of some sort).
                      bd

                      At 08:47 AM 4/19/2008 -0400, you wrote:
                      >This may be a dumb question but was there a militrized version of
                      >the PDP-8? If so, it might be possible to get truly excellent
                      >trouble shooting pubs for the thing. The nice thing about a
                      >piece of that age is that it is repairable with off the shelf
                      >parts.
                      >bs
                      >

                      >On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Herb Johnson wrote:
                      >
                      > > Jack Rubin posted some comments about Claude Kagan and his collection.
                      > > I'm sure Jack meant well. But let me remind you and others, that the
                      > > MARCH mail list is *public*, available and readable by anyone,
                      > > including myself, including Claude. Consider his privacy, and use
                      > > discretion in discussions about people's activities and their homes.
                      > >
                      > > The RESISTOR's PDP-8 strikes me as being in reasonable shape, but in
                      > > any event MARCH will I presume work with Claude about it. I've had no
                      > > role in this donation, other than being a friend of Claude's. MARCH
                      > > has Claude to thank, not me. MARCH would do well to work with Claude,
                      > > as I have and still do, on projects of mutual interest including "Camp
                      > > Evans" activities which Claude knows first-hand. CLaude is scheduled
                      > > for talks at the Trenton Computer Fest again this year.
                      > >
                      > > The "Home Reckoner", which my friend and colleage Jack mentioned, is a
                      > > classic and early 1973 article about computing technology; Claude
                      > > still gives talks about it. A Web search for it found this reference,
                      > > and a copy of it in .DOC form is there.
                      > >
                      > > http://web.njit.edu/~turoff/
                      > >
                      > > Herb Johnson
                      > > another "old" guy
                      > > retrotechnology.com

                    • Glenn Holmer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 23, 2008
                        On Saturday 19 April 2008 08:13:09 B. Degnan wrote:
                        > There were all kinds. There was even a version that was adapted to
                        > go into a large farm tractor (of some sort).

                        When the Computer History Museum was in Boston, they had exhibits of a
                        PDP-8 being used for brain surgery:

                        http://lyonlabs.org/PDP-8_brain_surgery.jpg

                        and to control the stage lighting on the Broadway show Chorus Line:

                        http://lyonlabs.org/PDP-8_Chorus_Line.jpg

                        --
                        "After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
                        Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM) http://www.lyonlabs.org