RE: [midatlanticretro] Boston road trip

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
      You're certainly correct about the GSP --> Saw Mill, etc., but I used to routinely drive from Cambridge to Brookfield (that's right next to Danbury, for those not familiar) in about 2:15-2:30.  Is cruising at 70-75 considered warp speed?  I guess that's debatable.

      I'll post an update when the Harvard people reply.  FYI, they said it could be a week or two.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
        Evan,

        Hey, I wish I could go along too,
        but I have several things going on here that I have to get ready.
        I thought everyone might be interested in looking at this,
        it was a post from another group that I saved.
        It's about visiting the various surplus stores in that area.
        http://www.kkn.net/archives/html/QRP-L/2002-07/msg02232.html

        Dan

        Evan wrote:
        Okay, that's one vote.   :)

        The MIT Swapfest is held on the third Sunday of each month, April-October -- sorry, I should've mentioned that before.  Those dates are Aug. 21 and Sept. 25.  Since the Harvard department is a weekdays-only thing, that rules out a one-night stay if we're going to do both.  (We could still see Harvard's Mark 1 on a weekend, since it's in a public space, but we'd miss the private collections tour.  That option might be a good compromise to see as much as possible in as little time as possible.)

[...]

        week work for me. Who's the travel agent of the group? Where are we going to
        stay? I think we should actually be in Boston (ie: exclusive of travel time)
        for two weekdays so we can hit the RI museum on the way south. I don't want
        to arrive somewhere and find locked doors so we need to confirm dates and
        times for each place we plan to visit.

        This sounds like fun.

        BTW, I wrote a book review of "Jaquard's Web" for my computer club
        newsletter. You can read it at http://dacs.org/dacs_doc/feature1.htm.

        Jim

        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

        > More about this...  I just spoke with someone at Harvard's History of
        > Science department, and she said the Mark 1 is on public display.  She also
        > said they are about finished with five years of organizing a "historical
        > scientific instruments" collection which also includes some computer
        > things,
        > and that they might be able to give us a private tour -- they couldn't
        > promise yet.

        > MIT's Lincoln Lab is not open to the public, but another place we could
        > visit is You-Do-It Electronics.  YDIE is as big as a Home Depot and it's
        > got
        > two floors of nothing but electronics gear.  A truly awesome store.  Bring
        > your credit cards.   :)

        > I'm thinking that a Friday/Saturday trip might be ideal (because the
        > Harvard
        > stuff probably is closed on weekends).  I lived in Cambridge as recently as
        > one year ago, and plenty of other MARCH'rs have lived up there too, so
        > getting around will be second-nature.  Hell, the bartenders in Central
        > Square probably will remember my name!

        > Anyone up for this in August or September?  That's enough time to plan, but
        > before the New England winter hits.
        >
        >   _____

        Vintage computer 30th anniversary Computer security
        Computer training Swap meet

        No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.2/29 - Release Date: 6/27/2005