RE: [midatlanticretro] Boston road trip

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
      Notes:

      1) You can get into the MIT flea as early as 6:30am if you pay the tailgate fee or 7:15am on
      the early bird admission.  I think the early bird admission is worth it.

      2) I'd never stayed at a Red Roof before this past TCF (I'm normally a Marrriott kind of guy).
      I'll never stay at one again.  Sorry Evan but that place was skanky!
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
        I'll never stay at one again.  Sorry Evan but that place was skanky!

        LOL... granted, the desk clerk tried THREE rooms before he found one with a functioning door lock.

      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
          Once I went to Boston/Cambridge area for a week for no good reason to explore
          the Harvard/Cambridge campus. I slept on the floor of the brownstone that
          they filmed "The Bostonian" movie, thanks to a kindly maid whom I met during my
          travels. She snuck me in after dark. A barely relevant story, but there you
          go.

          I am unsure if I can attend this road trip, but it sounds interesting.

          bd

          that a kind maid snuck me In a message dated 6/29/2005 5:22:29 PM Eastern

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
            Evan and all,

            If we're going to go thru all this travel, I'd like to get a tour of that
            'new' collection at Harvard. If that means we need to be there on a weekday,
            it would be well worth it. Seeing how a pro manages a collection might be a
            good education for us with seeing the computing/calculating stuff as a bonus!

            The earlier discussion of the flea market makes it sound to me like a nice
            extra, but not a key part of the trip. If we are there for the flea market,
            we should allow at least two hours for perusing the junk. Same goes for the
            visit to that electonics palace since we have no idea what we're looking for
            when we go in. Using the 'T' for transporation is a great idea but requires
            extra time to wait for a train and any connections.

            Without warp drive it's three hours from Danbury, CT, to Boston, and it took
            me three hours to get to TCF. On Friday I could meet you at a CPL on I-84 and
            we could drive directly to Harvard for that tour. Then check into lodging and
            hit the electonics palace. Given the time of the morning, I suggest that you
            come up the GSP to the Tappan Zee Bridge and then go up the Saw Mill River
            Parway to I-684, then I-84 to Danbury - unless there is a miracle that
            morning that the GWB is clear. If meeting in Danbury (meeting in New Milford
            where I actually live would add another hour+ to the driving time) materially
            increases your travel time, then I could meet you in Boston.

            The itinerary should also include a seafood dinner at a place that serves
            good beer. :-)

            Inexpensive lodging is good so long as it has some sort of (free) broadband
            Internet access.

            Jim

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
              You're certainly correct about the GSP --> Saw Mill, etc., but I used to routinely drive from Cambridge to Brookfield (that's right next to Danbury, for those not familiar) in about 2:15-2:30.  Is cruising at 70-75 considered warp speed?  I guess that's debatable.

              I'll post an update when the Harvard people reply.  FYI, they said it could be a week or two.

              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

              > Okay, that's one
              vote.   :)

              > The MIT Swapfest is held on the
              third Sunday of each month, April-October
              > --
              > sorry, I should've
              mentioned that before.  Those dates are Aug. 21 and
              > Sept.

              25.  Since the Harvard department is a weekdays-only thing, that rules out
              > one-night stay if we're going to do both.  (We could
              still see Harvard's
              > Mark 1 on a weekend, since it's in a public space,
              but we'd miss the
              > private
              > collections tour.  That option
              might be a good compromise to see as much as
              > possible in as little time
              as possible.)

              > Here's a *sample* itinerary:

              > Saturday:
              > - Meet up somewhere in NJ very early in the morning
              (maybe 6-ish), drive up
              > to CT, meet up with Jim Scheef, continue
              on...
              > - About another 1.5 hours to Boston, as we approach from the
              south, stop at
              > You-Do-It Electronics (they open at 9AM)
              > - Drive
              to Cambridge (about 20 minutes north of YDI), check in to hotel
              > - Visit
              the MIT Museum and Cambridge's trio of incredible bookstores
              > (Quantum
              Books, MIT Press Bookstore, MIT Coop) -- nerd heaven

              Sunday:
              > - check out the MIT Swapfest (starts at 9AM)
              > - have
              lunch, then drive down to RI (about an hour)
              > - visit RI Computer
              Museum

              href="http://dacs.org/dacs_doc/feature1.htm.">http://dacs.org/dacs_doc/feature1.htm.

              > Jim
              >
              > --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:
              >
              > > More about this...  I just spoke with someone at Harvard's
              History of
              > > Science department, and she said the Mark 1 is on public
              display.  She
              > also
              > > said they are about finished with
              five years of organizing a "historical
              > > scientific instruments"
              collection which also includes some computer
              > > things,

              and that they might be able to give us a private tour -- they couldn't
              > > promise yet.
              > >
              > > MIT's Lincoln Lab is not open
              to the public, but another place we could
              > > visit is You-Do-It
              Electronics.  YDIE is as big as a Home Depot and it's

              got
              > > two floors of nothing but electronics gear.  A truly
              awesome store.
              > Bring
              > > your credit cards.
              :)

              > > I'm thinking that a Friday/Saturday trip
              might be ideal (because the
              > > Harvard
              > > stuff probably is
              closed on weekends).  I lived in Cambridge as recently
              > as
              > > one year ago, and plenty of other MARCH'rs have lived up there too,
              so
              > > getting around will be second-nature.  Hell, the bartenders
              in Central
              > > Square probably will remember my name!
              > >
              > > Anyone up for this in August or September?  That's
              enough time to plan,
              > but
              > > before the New England winter
              hits.

              > >   _____

              apply.   :)

              href="http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer">http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure
              > > > to find a decent used

              oscilloscope there!

              > > > Or check out my
              favorite shop, Greenbrook
              > > > Electronics, on Rt. 22 East
              in
              > > > Dunnellen (Greenbrook?), NJ.  They aren't cheap
              but
              > > > the selection is good
              > > > and the staff is
              very knowledgeable.

              ________________________________

              > > > From:
              midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

              > > > I am trying to save some old disk drives, including
              > > > a Commodore SFD-
              > > > 1001 drive. I believe that it's
              worth spending some
              > > > $$, I have enough
              > > > dead
              drives to make it worth while.  I have taken
              > > > cleaning and
              > > > diagnostic programs to the limit, it's time to try
              > > > something else.  I
              > > > want to learn how to align
              disk drives with an
              > > > oscilloscope.
              > > >
              > > > Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works)

              with probes?

              > > > There are a lot for sale on
              ebay, not sure what I
              > > > need exactly, being

              only a pseudo-engineer.  I don't want to over spend
              > > > and I
              don't need
              > > > anything new because I'll only be using the scope
              on
              > > > hardware older
              > > > than 20 years.  Any
              suggestions? Thanks for you
              > > > time.
              > > >
              > > > Bill Degnan

              > > > on the web.

              > > > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is
              subject to the
              > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              ________________________________

              Yahoo! Sports

              href="http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com">http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

              _____

              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> " on the web.

              > *      Your use
              of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
              > <
              >

              >   _____

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
                Evan,

                Hey, I wish I could go along too,
                but I have several things going on here that I have to get ready.
                I thought everyone might be interested in looking at this,
                it was a post from another group that I saved.
                It's about visiting the various surplus stores in that area.
                http://www.kkn.net/archives/html/QRP-L/2002-07/msg02232.html

                Dan

                --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                > More about this...  I just spoke with someone at Harvard's History of
                > Science department, and she said the Mark 1 is on public display.  She also
                > said they are about finished with five years of organizing a "historical
                > scientific instruments" collection which also includes some computer
                > things,
                > and that they might be able to give us a private tour -- they couldn't
                > promise yet.

                > MIT's Lincoln Lab is not open to the public, but another place we could
                > visit is You-Do-It Electronics.  YDIE is as big as a Home Depot and it's
                > got
                > two floors of nothing but electronics gear.  A truly awesome store.  Bring
                > your credit cards.   :)

                > I'm thinking that a Friday/Saturday trip might be ideal (because the
                > Harvard
                > stuff probably is closed on weekends).  I lived in Cambridge as recently as
                > one year ago, and plenty of other MARCH'rs have lived up there too, so
                > getting around will be second-nature.  Hell, the bartenders in Central
                > Square probably will remember my name!

                > Anyone up for this in August or September?  That's enough time to plan, but
                > before the New England winter hits.
                >
                >   _____

                No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.2/29 - Release Date: 6/27/2005