list items available for donations on our inventory system online (for now)

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
      Jeff (and those offering to donate items),
      Thanks for your offers. Anyone can list their vintage hardware and
      software items on marchclub.org/inventory/ program, which is our group
      inventory system. You'll see how to add them, and you can indicate whether
      they're for sale/donation or just part of your collection. This approach
      is better than emailing your lists to the group because emails get
      lost. Once you add to the inventory people can search it, send inquiries, etc.

      http://midatlanticretro.org/inventory/ Each time an item is added I get a
      tickler message and can therefore know what has been added.

      As you saw for yourself last weekend, we don't have space for anything
      except items vital to an exhibit. Realistically we're not going to have
      any networking or connectivity, or diagnostics equipment becasue we already
      have enough provided in the basement in the next building over.

      In short we have a moratorium on donations unless they're extremely
      important (a visitor drops off a PDP /8) historically.

      It's a little too early to list exactly what items we need to have donated
      (make/model), hopefully soon as time is an issue. In the meantime, please
      list on the inventory system.

      Bill

      At 05:58 PM 4/3/2008 +0000, you wrote:
      >I just found a box of "RAD data communications ltd" coax connectors
      >for IBM 3270 connectivity (coax to twisted pair, splitters, dual coax
      >to twisted pair balun). Any takers?
      >
      >Misco #0024, 0025, 0026, 0035, 0078, 0079, 0080
      >(ooooh, expensive!)
      >
      >And 4: Misco #0019
      >RAD MME/V.35 synchronous modem eliminators
      >(fancy null modems)
      >
      >-- Jeff Jonas

    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
          > just found a box of "RAD data communications ltd"
          > coax connectors for IBM 3270 connectivity

          Jim Scheef hasn't weighed in lately. That and your terminal server are
          really in the ballpark of his stated interests.

          Amazingly, probably the number 1 cord type needed for the MARCH collection
          is the ultra-ubiquitous modular power cord, like the ones on the back of VGA
          monitors and PCs. The number of systems needing these cords exceeds the
          supply by maybe about 15 to 25. I personally will try to bring 5 or so on
          the next visit. Not so much for PCs... they are compatible back to
          workstations and miscellany from the early 80's.

          We could also use a few of the RCA and BNC cables for Video hookups,
          like to the 8-bitters.

          John A.
        • John Allain
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
            > That's great, but if possible please also bring some sort of bins
            > to put them in so that they are easy to store and don't turn into
            > more junk to move around.

            The ideal bins I've found are those clear square cat food/litter pails,
            cleaned and de-labeled. They're even stackable.
            Unfortunately I don't have a cat so sometimes have to search the
            neigborhood on recycle day like some sort of bag lady <g>.

            John A.