Re: "Online catalog" and exhibit machine: 3b2, teletype bbs

  • mejeep_ferret
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:
      > I'm sure 3B2's will be interesting to significant numbers of people.
      > They definitely have a place in history.

      Who's working on the 3b2? I'd love to lend a hand since I have the
      maintenance manual and used them a lot while at AT&T Information
      Systems. Anyone who worked at AT&T IS or the immediate spinoffs (SCO,
      HP) would instantly recognize that red mouse!

      We really need the games/demo stuff for that such as GEBACA.

      > Across InfoAge, there are a few multimedia kiosks --some clubs have
      > already constructed their own

      The radio folks did a clever cheat: a DVD player to one of the
      "classic" televisions. Perhaps we ought to gather DVDs,
      YouTube/Google videos of computer pioneers & such to keep playing in
      the background. I was disappointed that the IEEE library is really
      tiny: I was hoping for videos and such that they'd circulate to
      schools for show-n-tell.

      > There should be a numbers of visitors who will want to re-live the
      > experience of a true period BBS, that hardware+software combination is
      > definitely something to shoot for. Don't know if we need more than
      2 or 3
      > heads for such a system however.

      The TTY is a *MUST* for that! Perhaps a FidoNet link via internet?

      -- Jeff Jonas
    • mejeep_ferret
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Wendt" <e.wendt@...> wrote:
        > The old 3B2/400, 600 and 700 series had port expanders
        > that provided a number of serial ports.
        > Erik Wendt

        I happen to have a spare 4 port card (I'd prefer an 8 port e-ports
        card). I'd really prefer a 3b2/400 or later since the 310 was
        severely memory limited, can't run SVR4 (I was on the development team
        for that, the 3b2/400 was the porting base).

        I saw that in the hall last weekend but had no time to do anything.
        I'd love to fire it up and at least get any demos running. That would
        be a lovely reason for me to donate my AT&T GNAT terminal (adm3a
        work-alike).

        > I had hoped this could become the heart of a series of
        > terminals around the museum that would display
        > information about the exhibits, the museum, the collection, etc

        That's a lovely use for the CRT based terminals!

        I'd like to have several printers online (Diablo, Decwriter, TTY)
        so they could all print a small sample text
        for folks to HEAR what computers used to sound like!

        > As I have inspected the 3B2 machines,
        > they are not really suitable for the intended task.
        > They lack sufficient serial ports to drive even three teminals
        > and they do not have an ethernet adapter.

        I should be able to add 4 serial ports and 1 parallel port.
        If the DECnet terminal server goes online via the VAX,
        that'll certainly pull ahead for number of ports.

        > It should be accessible from the outside via SSH
        > so we can work from home (IOW, we need ethernet).
        > Does anyone have a line on a suitable machine?
        > Jim

        My quick solution would be using a Linux (or BSD if there's more
        expertise) machine as a firewall/gateway between "the outer world" and
        the inner machines. That would handle SSH and authentication since
        most inner machines have no such concept.

        -- Jeff Jonas
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4, 2008
          One of the 3B2 systems already works quite well -- we know because we took
          it to our recent AT&T demo day (in Middletown), and sure enough, a couple of
          the employees there had it up and running in no time.

          I don't know the status of our second 3B2 or the expansion module.

          But -- you are welcome to help us and to design a (small) exhibit around
          this. Contact me off-list.