Boston road trip

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
      Evan and all,

      My girlfriend will be away the second week of August, which would make that
      week work for me. Who's the travel agent of the group? Where are we going to
      stay? I think we should actually be in Boston (ie: exclusive of travel time)
      for two weekdays so we can hit the RI museum on the way south. I don't want
      to arrive somewhere and find locked doors so we need to confirm dates and
      times for each place we plan to visit.

      This sounds like fun.

      BTW, I wrote a book review of "Jaquard's Web" for my computer club
      newsletter. You can read it at http://dacs.org/dacs_doc/feature1.htm.

      Jim

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
        Okay, that's one vote.   :)

        The MIT Swapfest is held on the third Sunday of each month, April-October -- sorry, I should've mentioned that before.  Those dates are Aug. 21 and Sept. 25.  Since the Harvard department is a weekdays-only thing, that rules out a one-night stay if we're going to do both.  (We could still see Harvard's Mark 1 on a weekend, since it's in a public space, but we'd miss the private collections tour.  That option might be a good compromise to see as much as possible in as little time as possible.)

        Here's a *sample* itinerary:

        Saturday:
        - Meet up somewhere in NJ very early in the morning (maybe 6-ish), drive up to CT, meet up with Jim Scheef, continue on...
        - About another 1.5 hours to Boston, as we approach from the south, stop at You-Do-It Electronics (they open at 9AM)
        - Drive to Cambridge (about 20 minutes north of YDI), check in to hotel
        - Visit the MIT Museum and Cambridge's trio of incredible bookstores (Quantum Books, MIT Press Bookstore, MIT Coop) -- nerd heaven

        Sunday:
        - check out the MIT Swapfest (starts at 9AM)
        - have lunch, then drive down to RI (about an hour)
        - visit RI Computer Museum
        - go home

        As for lodging, as witnessed at TCF, I'm a Red Roof Inn ("frugal") kind of guy, except for business trips, when it's someone else's money!  LOL, there are plenty of decent, budget places (Holiday Inn, Sheraton, etc.) in Cambridge/Boston.  Everything is either within easy walking distance or just one or two subway stops apart.

        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

        > More about this...  I
        just spoke with someone at Harvard's History of
        > Science department, and
        she said the Mark 1 is on public display.  She also
        > said they are
        about finished with five years of organizing a "historical
        > scientific
        instruments" collection which also includes some computer

        things,
        > and that they might be able to give us a private tour -- they
        couldn't
        > promise yet.

        > MIT's Lincoln Lab is not
        open to the public, but another place we could
        > visit is You-Do-It
        Electronics.  YDIE is as big as a Home Depot and it's
        > got

        two floors of nothing but electronics gear.  A truly awesome store.  Bring
        > your credit cards.   :)

        > I'm
        thinking that a Friday/Saturday trip might be ideal (because the

        Harvard
        > stuff probably is closed on weekends).  I lived in
        Cambridge as recently as
        > one year ago, and plenty of other MARCH'rs have
        lived up there too, so
        > getting around will be second-nature.  Hell,
        the bartenders in Central
        > Square probably will remember my
        name!

        > Anyone up for this in August or September?
        That's enough time to plan, but
        > before the New England winter
        hits.

        >   _____

        rules do not apply.   :)

        driving, visit the Flea@MIT

        href="http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer">http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure

        From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

        drive. I believe that it's worth spending some
        > > $$, I have enough
        > > dead drives to make it worth while.  I have taken
        > > cleaning and
        > > diagnostic programs to the limit, it's time to
        try
        > > something else.  I
        > > want to learn how to
        align disk drives with an
        > > oscilloscope.

        Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works)
        > > with probes?
        > >
        > > There are a lot for sale on ebay, not sure what
        > > need exactly, being
        > > only a pseudo-engineer.  I
        don't want to over spend
        > > and I don't need
        > > anything
        new because I'll only be using the scope on
        > > hardware older
        > > than 20 years.  Any suggestions? Thanks for you

        time.

        > > Bill Degnan

        > > on the web.

        *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

        ________________________________

        > Yahoo!
        Sports

        href="http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com">http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

        >   _____
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        *      Visit your group "midatlanticretro

        > *      Your use
        of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
        > <
        >

        >   _____

      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
          Notes:

          1) You can get into the MIT flea as early as 6:30am if you pay the tailgate fee or 7:15am on
          the early bird admission.  I think the early bird admission is worth it.

          2) I'd never stayed at a Red Roof before this past TCF (I'm normally a Marrriott kind of guy).
          I'll never stay at one again.  Sorry Evan but that place was skanky!

          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

          > More about this...  I just spoke with someone at Harvard's History of
          > Science department, and she said the Mark 1 is on public display.  She also
          > said they are about finished with five years of organizing a "historical
          > scientific instruments" collection which also includes some computer
          > things,
          > and that they might be able to give us a private tour -- they couldn't
          > promise yet.

          > MIT's Lincoln Lab is not open to the public, but another place we could
          > visit is You-Do-It Electronics.  YDIE is as big as a Home Depot and it's
          > got
          > two floors of nothing but electronics gear.  A truly awesome store.  Bring
          > your credit cards.   :)

          > I'm thinking that a Friday/Saturday trip might be ideal (because the
          > Harvard
          > stuff probably is closed on weekends).  I lived in Cambridge as recently as
          > one year ago, and plenty of other MARCH'rs have lived up there too, so
          > getting around will be second-nature.  Hell, the bartenders in Central
          > Square probably will remember my name!

          > Anyone up for this in August or September?  That's enough time to plan, but
          > before the New England winter hits.
          >
          >   _____

          Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
          Computer trainingSwap meet
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
            I'll never stay at one again.  Sorry Evan but that place was skanky!

            LOL... granted, the desk clerk tried THREE rooms before he found one with a functioning door lock.

          • billdeg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
              Once I went to Boston/Cambridge area for a week for no good reason to explore
              the Harvard/Cambridge campus. I slept on the floor of the brownstone that
              they filmed "The Bostonian" movie, thanks to a kindly maid whom I met during my
              travels. She snuck me in after dark. A barely relevant story, but there you
              go.

              I am unsure if I can attend this road trip, but it sounds interesting.

              bd

              that a kind maid snuck me In a message dated 6/29/2005 5:22:29 PM Eastern

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
                Evan and all,

                If we're going to go thru all this travel, I'd like to get a tour of that
                'new' collection at Harvard. If that means we need to be there on a weekday,
                it would be well worth it. Seeing how a pro manages a collection might be a
                good education for us with seeing the computing/calculating stuff as a bonus!

                The earlier discussion of the flea market makes it sound to me like a nice
                extra, but not a key part of the trip. If we are there for the flea market,
                we should allow at least two hours for perusing the junk. Same goes for the
                visit to that electonics palace since we have no idea what we're looking for
                when we go in. Using the 'T' for transporation is a great idea but requires
                extra time to wait for a train and any connections.

                Without warp drive it's three hours from Danbury, CT, to Boston, and it took
                me three hours to get to TCF. On Friday I could meet you at a CPL on I-84 and
                we could drive directly to Harvard for that tour. Then check into lodging and
                hit the electonics palace. Given the time of the morning, I suggest that you
                come up the GSP to the Tappan Zee Bridge and then go up the Saw Mill River
                Parway to I-684, then I-84 to Danbury - unless there is a miracle that
                morning that the GWB is clear. If meeting in Danbury (meeting in New Milford
                where I actually live would add another hour+ to the driving time) materially
                increases your travel time, then I could meet you in Boston.

                The itinerary should also include a seafood dinner at a place that serves
                good beer. :-)

                Inexpensive lodging is good so long as it has some sort of (free) broadband
                Internet access.

                Jim

              • Evan
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
                  You're certainly correct about the GSP --> Saw Mill, etc., but I used to routinely drive from Cambridge to Brookfield (that's right next to Danbury, for those not familiar) in about 2:15-2:30.  Is cruising at 70-75 considered warp speed?  I guess that's debatable.

                  I'll post an update when the Harvard people reply.  FYI, they said it could be a week or two.

                  --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                  > Okay, that's one
                  vote.   :)

                  > The MIT Swapfest is held on the
                  third Sunday of each month, April-October
                  > --
                  > sorry, I should've
                  mentioned that before.  Those dates are Aug. 21 and
                  > Sept.

                  25.  Since the Harvard department is a weekdays-only thing, that rules out
                  > one-night stay if we're going to do both.  (We could
                  still see Harvard's
                  > Mark 1 on a weekend, since it's in a public space,
                  but we'd miss the
                  > private
                  > collections tour.  That option
                  might be a good compromise to see as much as
                  > possible in as little time
                  as possible.)

                  > Here's a *sample* itinerary:

                  > Saturday:
                  > - Meet up somewhere in NJ very early in the morning
                  (maybe 6-ish), drive up
                  > to CT, meet up with Jim Scheef, continue
                  on...
                  > - About another 1.5 hours to Boston, as we approach from the
                  south, stop at
                  > You-Do-It Electronics (they open at 9AM)
                  > - Drive
                  to Cambridge (about 20 minutes north of YDI), check in to hotel
                  > - Visit
                  the MIT Museum and Cambridge's trio of incredible bookstores
                  > (Quantum
                  Books, MIT Press Bookstore, MIT Coop) -- nerd heaven

                  Sunday:
                  > - check out the MIT Swapfest (starts at 9AM)
                  > - have
                  lunch, then drive down to RI (about an hour)
                  > - visit RI Computer
                  Museum

                  href="http://dacs.org/dacs_doc/feature1.htm.">http://dacs.org/dacs_doc/feature1.htm.

                  > Jim
                  >
                  > --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > More about this...  I just spoke with someone at Harvard's
                  History of
                  > > Science department, and she said the Mark 1 is on public
                  display.  She
                  > also
                  > > said they are about finished with
                  five years of organizing a "historical
                  > > scientific instruments"
                  collection which also includes some computer
                  > > things,

                  and that they might be able to give us a private tour -- they couldn't
                  > > promise yet.
                  > >
                  > > MIT's Lincoln Lab is not open
                  to the public, but another place we could
                  > > visit is You-Do-It
                  Electronics.  YDIE is as big as a Home Depot and it's

                  got
                  > > two floors of nothing but electronics gear.  A truly
                  awesome store.
                  > Bring
                  > > your credit cards.
                  :)

                  > > I'm thinking that a Friday/Saturday trip
                  might be ideal (because the
                  > > Harvard
                  > > stuff probably is
                  closed on weekends).  I lived in Cambridge as recently
                  > as
                  > > one year ago, and plenty of other MARCH'rs have lived up there too,
                  so
                  > > getting around will be second-nature.  Hell, the bartenders
                  in Central
                  > > Square probably will remember my name!
                  > >
                  > > Anyone up for this in August or September?  That's
                  enough time to plan,
                  > but
                  > > before the New England winter
                  hits.

                  > >   _____

                  apply.   :)

                  wrote:

                  > > > If you feel like driving, visit the
                  Flea@MIT
                  > > > sometime:

                  href="http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer">http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure
                  > > > to find a decent used

                  oscilloscope there!

                  > > > Or check out my
                  favorite shop, Greenbrook
                  > > > Electronics, on Rt. 22 East
                  in
                  > > > Dunnellen (Greenbrook?), NJ.  They aren't cheap
                  but
                  > > > the selection is good
                  > > > and the staff is
                  very knowledgeable.

                  ________________________________

                  > > > From:
                  midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                  > > > I am trying to save some old disk drives, including
                  > > > a Commodore SFD-
                  > > > 1001 drive. I believe that it's
                  worth spending some
                  > > > $$, I have enough
                  > > > dead
                  drives to make it worth while.  I have taken
                  > > > cleaning and
                  > > > diagnostic programs to the limit, it's time to try
                  > > > something else.  I
                  > > > want to learn how to align
                  disk drives with an
                  > > > oscilloscope.
                  > > >
                  > > > Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works)

                  with probes?

                  > > > There are a lot for sale on
                  ebay, not sure what I
                  > > > need exactly, being

                  only a pseudo-engineer.  I don't want to over spend
                  > > > and I
                  don't need
                  > > > anything new because I'll only be using the scope
                  on
                  > > > hardware older
                  > > > than 20 years.  Any
                  suggestions? Thanks for you
                  > > > time.
                  > > >
                  > > > Bill Degnan

                  > > > on the web.

                  > > > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is
                  subject to the

                  _____

                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> " on the web.

                  > *      Your use
                  of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                  > <
                  >

                  >   _____

                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
                    Evan,

                    Hey, I wish I could go along too,
                    but I have several things going on here that I have to get ready.
                    I thought everyone might be interested in looking at this,
                    it was a post from another group that I saved.
                    It's about visiting the various surplus stores in that area.
                    http://www.kkn.net/archives/html/QRP-L/2002-07/msg02232.html

                    Dan

                    --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                    > More about this...  I just spoke with someone at Harvard's History of
                    > Science department, and she said the Mark 1 is on public display.  She also
                    > said they are about finished with five years of organizing a "historical
                    > scientific instruments" collection which also includes some computer
                    > things,
                    > and that they might be able to give us a private tour -- they couldn't
                    > promise yet.

                    > MIT's Lincoln Lab is not open to the public, but another place we could
                    > visit is You-Do-It Electronics.  YDIE is as big as a Home Depot and it's
                    > got
                    > two floors of nothing but electronics gear.  A truly awesome store.  Bring
                    > your credit cards.   :)

                    > I'm thinking that a Friday/Saturday trip might be ideal (because the
                    > Harvard
                    > stuff probably is closed on weekends).  I lived in Cambridge as recently as
                    > one year ago, and plenty of other MARCH'rs have lived up there too, so
                    > getting around will be second-nature.  Hell, the bartenders in Central
                    > Square probably will remember my name!

                    > Anyone up for this in August or September?  That's enough time to plan, but
                    > before the New England winter hits.
                    >
                    >   _____

                    No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.2/29 - Release Date: 6/27/2005